It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who should control the global thermostat?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Ocean fertilization experiment draws fire

A German research ship laden with 20 tonnes of iron sulphate has whipped up a storm of protest as it sails towards the Antarctic, where it intends to dump its cargo into the ocean.

Scientists on the Polarstern, which set sail from Cape Town in South Africa on 7 January, plan an ocean fertilization experiment that some argue will violate international law.

More...

See also, U.N. Says 'No,' Climate Hackers Say, 'Yes We Can'

The LOHAFEX experiment will spread 20-tons of iron sulphate particles over a 115-square-mile section of open ocean north of Antarctica — that's about 1.7 times the size of Washington, D.C. The initiative has drawn fire from environmental groups who point out that 200 countries agreed to the moratorium until more evidence was available about its efficacy.

It's becoming clear that when it comes to global warming reversal schemes, deciding who will control the global thermostat is as complex an issue as how such schemes could actually be accomplished. Ocean iron fertilization is considered one of the more promising options for global-scale geoengineering, which aims to slow or reverse the effects of climate change caused by man's burning of fossil fuels.

"The efficacy of iron-induced sequestration of atmospheric CO2 to the deep sea, however, remains poorly constrained," he summarized. "We do not yet understand the full range of intended and potential unintended biogeochemical and ecological impacts."

Perhaps one of the greatest dangers of global warming will be our attempts to solve it.

Food for thought...

[edit on 11-1-2009 by loam]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Don't you find it ironic that people still support and believe this Co2 is causing global warming, Wait - I mean Ice Age ...Hold on a sec... I don't know what we mean but anything bad with the weather means CO2! Now give us the carbon credit / cap & trade scam so a bunch of paper traders, politicians, and scientists get rich! Shhh.. don't ask any questions, just give us the money and power we want to regulate everyone's lives and charge you trillions in taxes and fees in order to line our pockets!

This is Funny: Greenhouse gases could have caused an ice age, claim scientists
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Earth on the Brink of an Ice Age
english.pravda.ru...

So what are they doing and why again?

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Global Warming? Of course its true. Man caused? No.

I read here on ATS that the temperatures on all planets in our solar system have been changing, and it is due to the solar activity, or lack of.

What would this chemical spill result of? What is its main goal?

If the world was going to end very soon, say the next 50-200 years, I personally would love to be alive to see it happen
Even if it does result in me freezing over.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Here is a graphical representation of their plan:

Source.

new topics

top topics

join