It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD Wants to Jam Cell Phones During Terror Attack

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

NYPD Wants to Jam Cell Phones During Terror Attack

blog.wired.com

The New York Police Department wants to be able to shut down cell phones, in case of a terrorist attack.
During last month's massacre in Mumbai, terrorist handlers over micromanaged via mobile phone the assaults on the hotels, train stations, and Jewish center that killed more than 170 people.
In testimony today before the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly (pictured) said he wanted to take out that "formidable capacity to adjust tactics while attacks are underway."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
An interesting read and if already posted then please feel free to remove.

It makes sense to be able to do this, especially with the amount of information that can be gained using popular phones like the iPhone. It's like having a mini communications centre in your pocket.

However, as innocent an idea is sounds - it always makes you think it will be used for bad. More control over how we communicate and the ability to stop us getting the word out when needed.

blog.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
No! That's horrible!
My mom works in NYC... if something happened and I couldn't reach her or vice versa.... I don't even want to think about it.
Especially if something happens to the electric grid and landlines don't work in the city, how are people supposed to contact each other?

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Also how would anybody report any new information to authorities, the media or even contact loved ones?

The cutting off of communication, seems like a step backwards in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I have long range walkie talkies for camping and in case
of an emergency would these stop working as well?!

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Yeah that sounds great, during a terrorist attack cut off communication so families don't know what's going on. There's also the fact that, you know, what if you're in an unrelated accident within the area and oops, now you can't call 911 because your cell phone doesn't work.

I can see it now, they'd probably jam the cell phones during an attack, then in the aftermath stories start trickling in of unrelated deaths because someone in a car accident couldn't get through to 911 because of the jam.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Oh Yeah Thats a good idea.**Sarcasm*** The only thing a cell phone blackout during an attack would be good for is to keep people from reporting what is happening. Could the Gov be preparing for another false flag?

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
next thing i can see them doing is wanting to cut off phones all together, like apple has the app killswitch, they could put in a phone-killswitch right?
after all they don't want a civilian investigation into any them terr'ist attacks because of camera phones in everyones pocket. we wouldn't know how to investigate anyway, like the boys a NIST do.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud
I have long range walkie talkies for camping and in case
of an emergency would these stop working as well?!

I guess that would depend on the exact method they use to block the mobiles. If they (the police or whoever) is hooked into the different phone companies in the area they could take the masts off line, this seems to be the sensible way to do it... And this way then yours and everyone else's walkie talkies would work as normal.

If however they employ some sort of mobile radio jamming gear it's any ones guess, mobiles work on specific bandwidths - here in the UK I think we use 800 Mhz and 1800 Mhz, in the US it's all on 1900Mhz (I may be a bit out on the exact freq, couldn't be bothered to check)... I don't know much about the jamming tech, but I'm gonna assume they simply over power the air waves - pump much power into the air waves over as much of the bandwidth as possible - I don't think it's exactly a 'surgical' procedure - could be wrong. So I reckon it that scenario then no - your outta luck buddy... But you got to remember all the emergency responders have to communicate some how, so I think jamming gear is not likely to be used.

Here I just remembered a thread of mine from about a year ago! Blocking the GPS signel - Cornwell I'll have to re-read it properly, but they jammed the GPS signal as a test.

[edit on 11/1/2009 by Now_Then]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Maybe it won't end up working out- I'm sure somebody would stand up for people like loved ones, emergency crews, etc who would need their phones.

I'm going to keep my eye on this. I think if it ends up passing, though, that many many New Yorkers will fight back.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Yes, this is the most brilliant suggestion yet!

Morons.

I guess the president leaves but the PARANOIA remains. wtf.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

I would think they would, it seems to me that they are only attempting to target specific frequencies.

[edit on 11-1-2009 by Mekanic]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
It is futile to dial 911 in case of lives in danger is all i understood

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Would HAM radios be effected?

I would have one if I could.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
How about ship to shore radios? We have it in the house in the winter but i would use it in a heart beat if i had to. So the Coast guard can call 911
and think i'm crazy.

Would it work?

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
A) they wont be able to locate and rescue victims w cell phones
B) let's hope that the walkie talkies of the 1st responders are operational

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
this is brilliant.

The point of a terrorist attack= cause fear anD panic.

Inability to contact your loved ones/contact any emergency service/contact family in the terror zone= MASSIVE panic and fear.

One word for this idea: FAIL

[edit on 11-1-2009 by grimreaper797]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
My cellphone didn't work during 9/11 so I waited in line to use one of the two payphones left in the financial district. I'm so glad NY removed all the payphones to somehow inconvenience drug dealers...

As far as the cellphone jamming, t's not an entirely bad idea, but the reasoning is strange. I would think they would want to jam cellphones to prevent them being used to remotely detonate explosives, not so the terrorist masterminds couldn't act as offensive coordinators.

That sounds pretty ludicrous, to me anyway...

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I always just assumed that would happen anyway. We planed for it in our family emergency plan. Even if they dont disable them, chances are you will not be able to use them. Remember 9/11? The phones were jammed so no one was able to get through.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
[edit on 11-1-2009 by pale59]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join