It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should organised religion be afforded any 'authority' in society?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Due to an absolute lack of cogent,tangible evidence to give one organised religion dominion over the other - why do some non provable beleif systems get afforded preferential treatment?

Due to organised religion being a catalyst for intolerance,bigotry and prejudice;should it be afforded 'any authority whatsoever' outside its respective temples of worship?

Just why should organised religion receive any 'special perks and privileges' in an open,modern day society?

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I have, or should probably say am a member of, a not for prophet corporation. It is designated that because it is of a religious/informational nature. I suppose I could have formed a not for prophet corporation by saying I wanted to promote the theory of evolution.
I do not see any problem with the government granting certain privileges to a religion based organization as long as none of the members are getting paid for working for the organization.
Once people start paying themselves from the money that has been solicited for the operation of the corporation, my opinion changes. I think carrying out religious works should be a voluntary thing and not like a job to get a salary.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
But he's discussing authority here. I have no problems with religious-based corporations as at any time I could start a Pagan company and get the same respect.

The issue I think karl was bringing up is should they have any authority. I say no. I have no issues with a Christian being in Congres or the Office of President. What I would take issue with is if they person was there beacause he was Christian.

-Kyo

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

I do not think an entity such as a Church should have any authority over the nation.
I think a religious concept can be an authority, such as in the Declaration of Independence that says that people are endowed with god given unalienable rights. Also there are plenty of laws based on Biblical concepts like thou shalt not kill and thou shalt not steal.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I think what the OP is saying is that religions shouldn't have any political influence on the rest of society, other than over its own members. That actually makes sense, although I don't really find myself agreeing for the stated reasons.

Religious leaders are, for the most part, not democratically elected by their members, and even if they are, the rest of society had no say in the matter, therefore their spheres of political influence should extend only to those who were in a position to elect them, or else those who voluntarily join that religion.

It's alright to take values from religion, like don't kill, don't steal, don't lie, etc, because those are things that the majority of people agree are good for society. It's also fine if religious people, or even religious leaders run for, and get into office.

I guess what I'm getting at is that while I have no problem with organized religion (and even belong to one) I'd rather not see my home country turn into a theocracy. I wouldn't mind personally if it were my religion running the show, but I'm in the minority, and that would be against the wishes of the 98% of the rest of the population, which isn't fair to them.

Do you have any specific examples of 'special perks and privileges' that religions get? I mean, about all I can think of right now is tax exemptions, and in cases where the religion is nonprofit, that's not really any different than any other nonprofit organization, so even that is treatment that isn't unique to religion.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I would love to know what what religion you are speaking of Dragon...if you would rather U2U it so we don't derail the thread I would be delighted to ask a few things.

I am not sure what else there is outside of the taxes to discuss about perks. Like I said the perks dont' bother me one bit. I just dont' think any religion, even mine, should have any serious influence outside of what was mentioned before; the basic values.

-Kyo

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

I'm a Mormon. It's not exactly secret, it's in my title :p I've also talked about it before on ATS. But yeah, a day later, and I'm still not sure what else there is other than tax breaks. I have heard of a few stories second and third hand of people abusing the tax exempt status of churches, though. (especially scientology, but others as well)

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Wow...how stuid is that???

I don't even bother trying to look at your avatar and such :-p

Nice

Anywho...yeah I guess I am stumped on that one too...I will do a touch of research and look around today

-Kyo

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   

why do some non provable beleif systems get afforded preferential treatment?

History, tradition, and majority....that's why.

If you're talking about the U.S., even though the founding fathers believed in the separation of church and state, the founding principles were from a Christian standpoint. Christianity is still the dominant religion in the U.S., and has been traditionally since its inception...

Our law is based on these traditions as well.

I think the second election of Bush pretty much showed the power of a Christian majority...

new topics

top topics

join