It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

XB-52 and YB-52, please I need info!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Hey there,

I was looking at the evolution of the B-52 Stratofortress and I found XB-52 and YB-52, which by the way, I think were one of the most beautiful airplanes ever. They really look nice with those bubble canopies.

My QUESTION is simple: What is the difference between XB-52 and YB-52?? Anybody?

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
www.nationalmuseum.af.mil...

The Boeing YB-52 was the second prototype aircraft built and was virtually identical to the XB-52. The YB-52 was initially ordered as the second XB-52, but various changes incorporated into the aircraft on the assembly line warranted a designation change.

www.vectorsite.net...

The first prototype was given the designation "XB-52" and the second the designation "YB-52". The second prototype was given a "Y" code, which would normally indicate an evaluation machine, not an "X" code as was appropriate to its experimental status, because the Air Force had scrounged funding for it from their Logistics Command, which was not formally allowed to fund experimental aircraft.

Not really sure what changes were made, I'm assuming externally they were identical.

Peace

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Thanks

Does anybody have any info why they changed the design?? It looks to be pretty aerodynamic and definitely looks nice
Probably the cockpit they have now is much more comfortable, but it uses more space.... Any info??

new topics

join