It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can one tell if one is an"old soul"?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by liquidself

Hmmm...we see evidence of the soul every time anyone undergoes an EEG or EKG or any other physical exam that measures electrical activity within the body. The soul is the sum total of all that electrical activity: very, very complex set of unique patterns for each of us.

Probably the best way to prove the existence of the soul would be to weigh bodies at the moment of death and for some time after, looking for some slight difference in weight that couldn't otherwise be accounted for. Such bodies would have to be within hermetically sealed containers to account for everything leaving the body. Personally I would expect the difference to be miniscule and variable but consistent within a range. It doesn't take much mass to hold a huge amount of energy.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by alyosha1981

Typically you are an old soul if you don't wonder about things such as old souls.

Would that come from the knowledge gained in previous lives? or would that just be another "given"? This is where I get confused

More like a habit practiced so long you kinda forget where and when you picked it up and never notice it or think about it until someone points it out to you.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
reply to post by liquidself

Hmmm...we see evidence of the soul every time anyone undergoes an EEG or EKG or any other physical exam that measures electrical activity within the body. The soul is the sum total of all that electrical activity: very, very complex set of unique patterns for each of us.

Probably the best way to prove the existence of the soul would be to weigh bodies at the moment of death and for some time after, looking for some slight difference in weight that couldn't otherwise be accounted for. Such bodies would have to be within hermetically sealed containers to account for everything leaving the body. Personally I would expect the difference to be miniscule and variable but consistent within a range. It doesn't take much mass to hold a huge amount of energy.

Hello apacheman!

I agree that there has been proven electronic examples of the soul and thank you for pointing this out ( I will find links) Your insight is always "dead on' IMO and the way in which you convey it seems very natural. I would consider any measurement of the soul by scientific methods "relieable"

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pappie54
There are exceptions.

Such as all the crappy MTV stars and people getting famous based on plastic surgery and a reality show.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I can't argue anyones point here, because opinions are the holy grail of an individuals thinking. But I dont really believe a soul is old or young. As one of the post sugessted earlier, a soul is simply energy. Energy is never ending or "forever" as a loose term. Energy as it is cannot be affected by time, it niether ages, or burns out. Energy simply "is" so it would stand to follow that it's always been around.

So I geuss it would stand that all souls are simply "immortal" in that since. But the true question in my mind is, where were our souls before this world? Past lives are one thing but I'd rather know where it originated from not just what I did in rome 2 thousand years ago.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
i would recommend you check out a book called many lives many masters ( think that was it at least ).

Everyone I know who has read this book says that for some reason they just know it to be true and it resonates with them. For me I felt like I was turning pages to a book I already knew and it was putting puzzle pieces in place for me.

I also think that the saying the eyes are the looking glass to the soul are true. It amazes me how much you can tell about a person just from their eye's.

Really check out that book though it should be very cheap on amazon.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Greetings, all!

I was drawn to this thread because I've been hearing the phrase "old soul" a lot lately, and I was more curious to find out what an "old soul" is, more than how to tell if one was such. In any event, going by the descriptions I've read, I reckon I stand a good chance of qualifying, and I have now to ask myself why that would matter. When I was a child, my dad always said I was more like a little adult, without the childhood foolishness. Check that one off. The flip side is, did I miss out on anything? Probably not, but since it's gone, that doesn't matter either. As a teen, a friend once told me that he couldn't figure me, because what mattered to me, no one else cared about, and what everyone else thought was imperative, affected me not in the least. Check again. I figured I was just wierd.When I met my current significant other, she had a standard poodle that had been rescued from a crack house, and had been terribly abused, with nearly every bone in her body broken, and several broken at the time of the rescue. The first time she saw me, she came right up to me and sat down at my feet, tail wagging. My (later) wife just sat straight down, mouth agape. When I asked her what was wrong, she said that dog was fearful of ALL strangers, and hated men in particular on account of the abuse she'd been through - and she couldn't quite grasp the reaction. So yeah, dogs and little kids love me too. I reckon I stand a chance of qualifying, but I gotta ask why it matters. Things are as they are.

I see folks on here trying to "categorize" the age of a soul. Why? wouldn't you expect it to be a continuum, as physical life is, without clear cutoff points? If that's the case, "old soul" would just be a relative term, not an absolute category. If you don't put your mind in a box, you don't have to work at "thinking outside the box".

On the matter of death, no, I'm not afraid to die, but neither do I experience any anxiety to hasten it along. It will come when it's time, and it will surely and inexorably come. No reason to dread it, as it's unavoidable. I've been in situations a time or two (or five) when I was sure that my time was up. My reaction in each case was "well, this is it, I'm a goner. May as well strap in for the ride." My difficulties arise when it's not quite so certain that the time is upon me. That's the only time I kick against it. The struggle usually leaves me worse for the wear. Must be a lesson there.

My notion on "time": "time" is an artificial construct of humans to deal with the flow of perception. Think of it as "the 4th dimension" so often spoken of. what WAS, and what WILL BE, actually IS, right "now". The "now" we see is like looking at a 2 dimensional plane bisecting a 3 dimensional tableaux... with everything "bumped up" by one dimension. "Time" is what occurs when your perception moves that plane along the tableaux. I wish words were adequate to explain the concept, but I feel I'm failing there, so I probably ought to move on.

I also tend to separate the concept of "soul" and "spirit". To me, the one is an impersonal animating force, and the other is "you". Those two, in company with the physical body, make up the "you" that is here now. Death means nothing, and Life means nothing. They're just things we all will experience, apparently more than once.

"Death" would be what's on the other side of "life", and "dying" would be the transition between the two. From what I've seen, dying can be a little trying at times, but thankfully it only lasts an instant, on a cosmic scale.

I hope I've not muddied the waters by chucking in my two cents worth. If I have, then please just disregard this post as the ravings of a lunatic. It won't bother me. really.

nenothtu out

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Welcome to the conversation, your input is appreciated.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Thank you.

I've always defined, in my own mind, "soul" as the animating force, and "spirit" as what make you YOU. But it's really just a question of semantics, isn't it? Could just as easily work the other way around in someone else's frame of reference.

I also have "flashbacks" to things I've never done, and places I've never been. Could be disconcerting, if I let it bother me much. But then again, the flashbacks for my current reality are quite enough to occupy me.

On the subject of negative thoughts, I've found that if one wrestles with them, it gives them incentive to hang around and wrestle back. Much better to say "thank you for coming, see you next time" and show them the mental door. Just let 'em walk right out. You'll find that you hardly miss them at all.

nenothtu out

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   

I would have to say that apacheman hit it right on the head. I would only like to add to his ideas if I may, not that I am saying he endorses this, but I feel he is right on with the "reality" of it, that it is not mystical, but is indeed physical truth.

I have a Christian background, which really screwed me up in understanding the truth, that is until I began understanding somethings outside of christianity, that without leaving that and searching, I would probably think this was of the devil, but in discovering how old my soul is, I now have a way better grasp on what Christ was saying. I would like to tell you, stay as far away from religion as possible because that is what religion is for, the "new souls". When I say new, I don't mean new exactly as there is nothing new under the sun, only new beginnings for life force.

I believe new souls are the result of ending a family line, meaning the soul (the recorded lives) that is carried in the blood is ended by the last in line. Take me for instance. I am the last male in my family line. After me there are no more. If I don't have children, I and all those housed in me, that is, the recollection of souls that I remember being my parents, my grand parents, and my great grand parents, who in turn link the chain in the same way for their parents and so on ends if I do not reproduce. All of the talents, all of the traits, all of the bad things, all of it that has been stored generationaly ends with me. This makes me the first and the last. The first to remember, thus resurrecting the dead in my memory to life in me, but in remembering, I become the last, unless I am blessed with a child "the savior" of my line. As of now, if I die, I have no home to reside in (the memory of me in my children), but those of friends and extended family in which case, I am diminished until forgotten, and once forgotten that life force is free to live again in a brand new form thus being a new soul.

This, I believe is the reason that Jesus asked, "are you able to bear the cup that I bear?" and also the reason he told the thief with him on the cross, "today you shall be in paradise with me" meaning the beginning of the world.

Another interesting thing about Jesus. When he was telling the romans that he was not of this world, he simply meant this time. He was never speaking of being an alien or being from another planet, only another time.

Outside of this earth, there is nothing else...that's part of the game too, but you will remember that soon enough, be it in this life or the next. It is coming to accept that and to make peace with it that is so hard. Really it is just one life in the end, but it sure is fun while we forget it. The love, the tears, the laughter, the hate, all of it....is just you, me, us....I am.

The best way I can describe this game we play is "shoots and ladders". Really, we are always new because we forget the past. We forget it and never look back, until it creeps up our back and knocks. Remembering really just means it's time to forget again so we can play forever in this big sand box.

Makes me want to say, I LOVE ALL OF YOU....
Peace

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by letthereaderunderstand

I believe new souls are the result of ending a family line, meaning the soul (the recorded lives) that is carried in the blood is ended by the last in line. Take me for instance. I am the last male in my family line. After me there are no more. If I don't have children, I and all those housed in me, that is, the recollection of souls that I remember being my parents, my grand parents, and my great grand parents, who in turn link the chain in the same way for their parents and so on ends if I do not reproduce. All of the talents, all of the traits, all of the bad things, all of it that has been stored generationaly ends with me. This makes me the first and the last. The first to remember, thus resurrecting the dead in my memory to life in me, but in remembering, I become the last, unless I am blessed with a child "the savior" of my line. As of now, if I die, I have no home to reside in (the memory of me in my children), but those of friends and extended family in which case, I am diminished until forgotten, and once forgotten that life force is free to live again in a brand new form thus being a new soul.

Actually, I think you may have something here. Familial DNA might make it easier for a spirit to stay close to home, so to speak. Sort of pre-formed, custom-fit bodies that don't require as much energy to occupy and activate. It would make sense that Nature would do everything possible to facilitate consciousness transfer while minimizing loss. That would explain the common human perception that a new child had the spirit of a passed relative. In the past when there where fewer human spirits and bodies it was far more obvious than now. Following that thought you could probably work out the range an unhoused (average) spirit could travel, under the ambient magnetoelectrical conditions obtaining for the given time and place.

In line with the thought that soul transference was easier to observe in the past, it would also explain why groups of people would commit suicide to join the leader, beloved or otherwise. They were trying to stay together in time. Getting out of synch with your loved ones sucks bigtime. It takes forever and a day to get back together, siiigghh. It would also stand to reason that with fewer human bodies, there were more elder animal spirits, more equal with humans. I'll leave it to you to work out how that effected mythology. Btw, my favorite definition of mythology is "the folklore of the soul".

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
There are some great posts in this thread and I would like to say thank you to all that contributed.

I would like to add that at a different level of awareness this idea of young or old is irrelevant. We might be old souls now, but tomorrow we might be young again. It is a cycle, and when it is finished we can always start again.

Also there is no such thing as time in the spiritual world, all things exists at the same time in all forms and shapes. Only when coming on Earth and in physical planes can we have duality and the opposite. Here some might be young or old as souls, but back when you are in the spirit world, that no longer counts, the goal of all souls is the same. We are all going to become one and then have another go at life, be young again, so much potential.

We are life and the purpose of life is to manifests itself in all possible ways, this is what we are and try to achieve all possible experience over many lifetimes, up until we have experienced everything. The purpose of life is to be. This process will never stop, it will go on forever.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

reply to post by nrky

[...]
I wish to put forth the following theory; that old souls (when seen from this timeline) were, and always will be, in human society, even from the birth of 'the first humans', and that they are able to, for example, inhabit bodies that are to give birth to their own spiritual ancestors.

For this to make sense, we need to assume that souls are capable of travelling back in time to inhabit a body.

It is my opinion (not that of anybody else's) that we have actually seen the end of the creation of new souls, as far as an eternal timeline is concerned.
[...]

i see what you mean...

my mind is comfortable with a multi-verse model which addresses the mysteries you speak of.

to elaborate; Our cosmos is like 1 layer of a many layered universe --
much resembling an onion -
each soul resides simeotaneously in an infinity of the side-by-side, layers, of individual cosmos'
(or call them Realities and Dimensions or even Creations)

When one dies (120 yrs) in this cosmos, the soul's energy naturally pops into your remaining Soul-Energy-Selves located in another dimension/layer...
so in effect ones soul is 'immortal'...

which answers the Nuked souls destroyed in Nagasaki & Hiroshima...
they are not destroyed, it is rather that the soul-energy of that person just 'moved on'
to another segment of their soul in another Cosmos.

Now, you understand that rare 'pop' we call 'De Ja Vu', it is a Soul segment
rejoining your Soul awareness in this Cosmos (so in another cosmos there
are likely grieving kinfolk at that individuals 'death')

Also, this travel or migration of the Soul-Energy between realities at 'death'
is looked upon by our popular culture as going to hell or ascending to heaven.

Since 'Nature' seeks balance & equilibrium, whenever too many 'young souls' pull our humanity &
civilization into war & other chaos (banking crisis?)...
things like karma come to the forefront

As far as the creation of 'new souls'...i'm still not certain...
but i am comfortable with the -onion-Universe creating 'new-layers of Cosmos' where all types of Souls
can soon populate and migrate to in their personal soul journey.
-&- thats where the concept of a 'consciousness' in a rock (eons old) can reincarnate
into a tree (50-1000 yrs), and then into a fish (1-75 yrs), into a human (120 yrs, crude examples)...
and these are where 'new-souls' are born...
as opposed to a static and limited number of souls in the spectrum of cosmos'.

I do concur that soul age & chronological age of the soul could have
a young-soul birthing a soul that is Ancient...
this concept is put forth with much misunderstanding in the idea of god born as man, in the archtype story of Jesus christ.

just a few shards to look at,
thanks for your time,
~peace~

[edit on 13-1-2009 by St Udio]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   

I have 2 questions, the first being the thread title of course and the second being, If one is an "old soul" then how many times do we "come back"? I hope this holds true as it would be comforting to hold onto the thought of returning in one form or another someday. As always thanks in advance for kind and thoughtfull insight it is appreciated.

These answers are based on over 35 years experience in the spiritual realms.... and they will conflict with all Belief System's perceptions.

Question 1: There are no old or new souls. All souls came into being at the earliest dissemination of the universe/god/creative awareness. The only way a soul could be considered New, is if it is newly arrived to this experience world we call earth. Therefore, an 'old soul' is one that is already experiencing here.

Most people using the terms old and new soul do so to instill a feeling of spiritual superiority in themselves, so the usage is driven by unbalanced Ego.

Question 2: The soul chooses to project a very small portion of itself into this dense creation called earth. Most of us did so when this world came online for experience, we could say... and this occured at a very early stage in earth's existence....

therefore, we have thousands of incarnations of our own choosing. And we do so in order to gain experience of all things available to us here. In doing so we provide 'god' with experience of itself and it's capabilities.

Prior to choosing this world for experience you existed in other worlds, and have "ascended" from them to continue your experience. You will also ascend from this one, but not before you finally wake up to your own higher awareness as soul and then BE that beautiful being here in this 3D density... which is the next evolution of humanity that we are about to step-up into.

To read more, please look at my website Simply-Spirit.com.. where you will find the simplified methods I teach for awakening.

Thank you for the opportunity to share today.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I have had dreams about Camelot ( not the musical or cartoon version but what was life like living in the real place.) I also have dreams of WWII.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wehali

Old souls - when the bad deeds have been mostly made up, the soul starts
to take responsibility for all of its actions, words and thoughts, and will want
to learn how to control their own life, and at one point will take the test in
which they prove they can control their life, which marks the end of their
incarnations and the ability to ascend.

[edit on (11/1/09) by Wehali]

Don't tell me this test involves a short hallway, one door 2/3 down on the left, two men, one at each end of the hallway, each holding staffs of some sort.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tayesin
Question 1: There are no old or new souls. All souls came into being at the earliest dissemination of the universe/god/creative awareness. The only way a soul could be considered New, is if it is newly arrived to this experience world we call earth. Therefore, an 'old soul' is one that is already experiencing here.

Most people using the terms old and new soul do so to instill a feeling of spiritual superiority in themselves, so the usage is driven by unbalanced Ego.

With all due respect, this makes no sense from either a physical or metaphysical sense. You are saying that all souls were born simultaneously with no allowance made for population growth (physical) on the one hand and no room for growth or experience differentials on the other (metaphysical).

So far as the other...describing a reality doesn't necessarily involve ego, unbalanced or otherwise, any more than identifying a particular rock, plant or animal does. What's so superior about being old? That and a couple (! siiiiiggghhhh) of bucks will get you a cup of coffee. "Old soul", as I've pointed out before, doesn't naturally mean wise or good, it just means you've survived longer than most and are more aware of it than most. Most "old souls" I've met are healthily cynical, mostly humble, and fairly tight-mouthed about it. No big. I might point out that having a website through which to dispense the wisdom of the ages might point to a bit of an ego issue; that's just me though.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by apacheman]

[edit on 14-1-2009 by apacheman]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   

I will start off by saying that I have no expierience in this subject, my grandmother had told me months before her death, that I was an "old soul" Puzzled I asked her what that ment and she simply replied "well, you have been here before". Now, I have never been big into spirtuality or the like but am currently starting to wonder what this is all about.

I have 2 questions, the first being the thread title of course and the second being, If one is an "old soul" then how many times do we "come back"? I hope this holds true as it would be comforting to hold onto the thought of returning in one form or another someday. As always thanks in advance for kind and thoughtfull insight it is appreciated.

I realize that religion will play a key role in determining the vallidity of the soul, so for the sake of discussion I will disclose that I do not strictly follow any religion although I was baptised catholic. Again thank you in advance for any thoughtfull insight into this.

[edit on 11-1-2009 by alyosha1981]

You can find out about your "old soul" by hypnosis.
Our spirits stretch forward and backward through time.
I'm guessing you have had about 22 lives before this one.
When you die, you go home to heaven.
You hang out awhile, then you choose another body and return to
Earth.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

I completely agree with you! I was going to say that exact thing! His description does seem to describe an old soul and a new soul in opposite ways. Especially about leaders. Most leaders do not have a wide or open understanding into our existence or the true reality of this world, as well as many who are famous, usually have very egotistic personalities and see themselves as something higher and more important than they really are, which is obviously not a trait of an old soul. To suffer is to learn, when you are just happy in life, you are learning nothing, it is the years one suffers that one learns and gets life experience. People living in primitive ways I feel would be very old souls, you would need to be in order to live in such ways, most of us couldn't live like that, and I feel you would need to live many life's to be able to gain enough to be able to go through that way of life and put up with all it entails. I understand what you mean from the aspect of early hominids and their primitive way of living but that primitive and today's primitive is somewhat different. I would think the opposite of what was said whereas a old soul, I think THEY would experience more suffrage as they can better handle it, and understand it, and get through it, whereas a young soul could not. Ya know.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join