It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can one tell if one is an"old soul"?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by kacou

believing instead of “being”.

Might that be like accepting everything? I am not sure that is wise not to discredit being open minded but I think some sort of focuspoint is better then attempting to "see all"

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

Maybe you can see what I mean in this short Zen story bellow:
A knowledgeable and wise scientist went to seek some teaching from a Zen master.
As the scientist arrive the Zen master offer him a cup to drink some tee.
The scientist holds the cup up to the Zen master so he can poor some tee. The Zen master poor too much tee on the cup to the point that it overflow.
The scientist stopped the Zen master pouring the tee and asked him what he was doing.
The Zen master respond: “the tee is the knowledge I can give you and the cup is your brain, empty your cup if you want enlightenment knowledge.”

Kacou.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by kacou

Great story and thank you for sharing, I see how the cup overflowed(knowledge) and the master telling the student to empty the cup ( forgeting pregained knowledge to make room for new) but dosn't a cup only hold a predetermined amount? as in you can't take in all you want because you only have room for so much?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I dunno, it seems to me like the different soul levels are nothing more than how people are in different stages in their life.

When I was a child, I had a baby type soul, and as an adult I have a more old soul. I can pretty much see the characteristics of all of them in myself.

I do know that I do not have to be here, and am here only by choice. That is the 1 major truth I got at the age of 30.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by badmedia]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
I dunno, it seems to me like the different soul levels are nothing more than how people are in different stages in their life.

When I was a child, I had a baby type soul, and as an adult I have a more old soul. I can pretty much see the characteristics of all of them in myself.

Thanks for the input badmedia! thats where I get confused becaust that measurment is like the body, infant, todler, child,teen, young adult ect ect. so the conundrum for me is also do those connections exsist in the spirit realm as they do here in our real of the living.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   

I have room for the universal…meaning that I will only submit my heart to love (and please not what many people think love is!).
I am in the discovery journey of what I am. Everything that I hear or touch or smell or see is a distortion of what I am not because all this senses have been directed to make me feel that I am not happy when actually I am the happiness.
Yes the cup only hold a predetermined amount, this is why you have to embrace the not knowing but surely not to exchange it to any substitute like one person insight…remember what Kapila said…we as a soul are unique…unique in makeup and insight.
The wisest of all Zen master cant tells you who you are; he can only guide you to find out by yourself. His teaching is a guide and the manual is in your heart.
Kacou

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   

It does have alot to do with religion and belief of the matter of course. I was told when I was young that I had an old soul I always took it as being mature for my age. I do believe in the concept along with reincarnation of souls, soul mates and karma in the current life and haunting you from the past. It took me a while to take on this belief, have you ever noticed certain things that certain people have to deal with over and over again? sometimes these things are unpleasant, this may be your karma that you are working through or a lesson your soul is learning. so it can go on to the next level of advancement. an old sould is someone who has had several journeys already from lessons and experience. A new soul would be more nieve about these things, maybe less intuitive? one more thing we dont remember our past lifes usually but I think the soul remembers its prior lessons to an extent and carries them with them. I also think that some animals may have an old soul and maybe even hurry through transition zone to make it back to their loved one on earth.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
It does have alot to do with religion and belief of the matter of course. I was told when I was young that I had an old soul I always took it as being mature for my age. I do believe in the concept along with reincarnation of souls, soul mates and karma in the current life and haunting you from the past. It took me a while to take on this belief, have you ever noticed certain things that certain people have to deal with over and over again? sometimes these things are unpleasant, this may be your karma that you are working through or a lesson your soul is learning. so it can go on to the next level of advancement. an old sould is someone who has had several journeys already from lessons and experience. A new soul would be more nieve about these things, maybe less intuitive? one more thing we dont remember our past lifes usually but I think the soul remembers its prior lessons to an extent and carries them with them. I also think that some animals may have an old soul and maybe even hurry through transition zone to make it back to their loved one on earth.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I believe that I am an old soul, and have been told this by people I've never met before from wiccan and spiritual circles, I will attempt to portray my view of 'old souls':

Firstly, we need to realise that the ability to pass from one body to another transcends the boundaries of space and time. I wish to put forth the following theory; that old souls (when seen from this timeline) were, and always will be, in human society, even from the birth of 'the first humans', and that they are able to, for example, inhabit bodies that are to give birth to their own spiritual ancestors.
For this to make sense, we need to assume that souls are capable of travelling back in time to inhabit a body.
It is my opinion (not that of anybody else's) that we have actually seen the end of the creation of new souls, as far as an eternal timeline is concerned.

My theory is that every time a 'new soul' is created, an entirely different universe is created to accomodate that new soul and it's entire lifespan of interaction with other souls.
I believe that we are in in the universe where there are no more souls to be created and that we have a sort of 'infinite scarcity' where in we see existing old souls try to solidify their existence by manipulating the younger souls, throughout their millions of different lifetimes.
This conflict between the souls, has created a unique polarity between the 'old' and 'new' souls, a sort of 'generational difference' for lack of a better phrase. In this world, we interpret it as 'good vs. evil', with many differing views on which side is which.
I am of the opinion that the organised religions, institutions of the world, warmongers, etc, are all young souls, as they are yet to learn the folly of conflict. Since the 'young souls' in this world will FOREVER be 'young souls', as there are no more being made, they can live billions of lifetimes and still be naive. It is this mass of young souls that are destroying the world, always have been, and always will be.
From the evolution of a carnivorous tyrannosaurus rex, to the creation of the banking system; we see naive risk-taking souls destroying the world around them.

There is a way to fix this problem. The young souls can grow up.
Unfortunately the only way to do this, is the same way human minds learn how to do it; by having kids of their own.

But, if this world is the final one where no more souls are to be born, this will never, ever happen, correct?
WRONG!
The creation of new universes around the birth of a new soul, is not sequential, it is merely a reaction to that creation.
What that means is that in ANY lifetime in our universe (past, present, or future), lies the possibility for the creation of a new generation of souls.

Unfortunately every single generation of souls makes the world go through this # for a few million lifetimes before they decide that they are bored of it and want to settle down.
Thankfully this world is going to see the end of the 'dry spell' soon (cosmically speaking).

MEANING, that when the first new soul is born, the discretions of all the previous generation of souls, will be amended, and for a while, things will be good again.

Feel free to call me a crackpot if you wish, or simply type 'TLDR', I could care less. I just felt like writing this because something random drew me towards ATS at this exact point in time for no apparent reason (to me).

P.S I forgot to add that when we see the creation of a new soul (in fact, pretty much every soul), we will all cease to exist as we know it. Since every soul interacts with every other soul, adding even one single soul can completely change the universe.

[edit on 12/1/2009 by nrky]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by nrky

posted by nrky
I just felt like writing this because something random drew me towards ATS at this exact point in time for no apparent reason (to me).

First off thank you for the very insightful theory you presented, I would very much not call you a crackpot or any thing like that, anybody who is capable of abstract thought in that manner is far from a crackpot as I'm concerned. To what I have quoted, that is the kind of thing that makes me feel like we are so much more then a random mixture of water and chemicals, we are so much more complex, What was that feeling like? was it sudden or had you been tiinking on it for a while? just curious and thank you again for the insight I'm glad you shared!

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981Great story and thank you for sharing, I see how the cup overflowed(knowledge) and the master telling the student to empty the cup ( forgeting pregained knowledge to make room for new) but dosn't a cup only hold a predetermined amount? as in you can't take in all you want because you only have room for so much?

Well it is not about replacing one set of old human beliefs with another set of newer human beliefs. It's quiet the opposite. It is about emptying your mind of all preconceived notions, as best you can, and opening yourself up to the thoughts of the universal mind. Impossible to force, but you can try to be open to it, and not try to fill up your mind with other people's ideas of reality.

Even the idea of time (and past lives) become meaningless.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Old Souls always learn new lessons which they try to promote in their new lives. I believe if someone is a bully then in their next life they will be bullied, and the circle goes on, in other areas of a persons personality.

I remember a few years ago while walking to work I was suddenly struck with a vision of a red and black shield, at that moment I felt I had total recall of a past life, one which I was Knight. The feeling was similar to DeJa Vu.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
we are an old soul. we are of the same spirit. we are all learning and waking to the infinite possibilities that define conscious existence.

we are components of a singular spiritual being. we are made up of whatever came before. all of us. no difference. the soul is one.

sounds better than trying to divide us into separate entities.

and i have about as much proof as anyone that i'm right.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

A few people that I've met during my life have told me that I'm a 'very old soul', but I think they are kind of nutty.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
@Daniem

You know when you read something and suddenly it just "makes sense" ? Well, I read your post with increasing interest and when I got to this line...

Originally posted by Daniem
THE OLD SOUL...Old souls all over the world share the experience of emptiness and a longing for that feeling of home.

That line practically summed up my entire life. I'm not claiming I'm an "old soul" as I have never thought of myself as that, but that concept of emptiness and a constant longing for "going home" has been in me for as long as I know.

Thanks for the post!

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Well put Sonya, I believe that is more along the lines of what I was trying to say but as I work nights sometimes the lack of sleep gets the best of me

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Old souls float much better in water.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Well said Apache, I agree very much with your interpretation.

PikyPiky: You need to think more about what you are hearing, I can understand how you came to your conclusion but you have only skimmed the surface. Dig deeper. Old Souls are not troublemakers.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I was dealing with this 3-4 years ago.

This goes along with the general acepted idea of 'Self' identity, or as
common as we say 'myself' and what that implies.

Let me explain.

When you see kids harassing, watch their parents normally grip them
and put them on the 'naughty bench' or something like that.

The child screams, complains - but, eventually rest.

At this particular point, the parent comes and asks:
'Boy, why you did this?'

The child could say some lame excuse and get more 5 mins on the bench
or explain herself. And most likely say in the end: "Im sorry." and get a
welcome hug.

Welcome to what? Let me explain more...

My reading to this event is clear: we have a physical BOUND layer that
acts with instincts and its own addictions (thats why any child has a lot
of this events), BUT this layer acts with another layers, OCCULT layers
if I may say
that work together in synch that only when you GET A
GRIP over your body (rest, concentration, meditation) you can
understand your SELF or acchieve something extraordinary.

So, event after event through the years a child (with good parenting) gets
an understand of how this relation of rest-concentrate-perform goes.

But to me, have a body and a conscience (obtained by focus) is somehow
incomplete. When you go to school you do things in REST mode; when
you work its the same, and so on.... in the end, we are our CONSCIENCE, not
the body vessel... tell that to Britney Spears....

Im saying this from my heart, my confidence, not any book had me
influenced as I reached this conclusion BEFORE i learnt the OCCULT ideas.

But, sometimes we have insights so deep and so out-of-our-lives, so damn
'alien' of our experiences that we cant deny the existance of another layer.

This layer, as I see, is the source of birth - the one who lived many lives.

If you need a basic outline of the occult teachings, google "DO_OBE" and
read the first PDF that pops out.

You can question and get answers from the true Self, but you have to
challenge what you define the world in front of your eyes.

I dont know if my soul is young, mature or old - after you experience
spirituality these things are not that important.

[]´s
RP

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent Thunder
An 'old soul' is just a being who has been in the game longer. Not because they are in themselves new or old or what have you. When it comes to a higher consciousness, it dosn't necesarily matter how long you have been in the 'game'. Some old souls still don't get it and some young souls really 'get it'. It all depends.

Good point, and a good place to point something out.

Far too many equate "old soul" with "good" and "wise". Sorry, but it just isn't so. As I mentioned earlier, it is easier to walk an evil path than a good one, and whatever "walk" you walk and make part of your spirit carries on from one lifetime to another. Unfortunately, I've known a few old souls who were very selfish and evil. The Universe doesn't really care one way or the other, anymore than it cares about which particular fish eats another. One can live many lifetimes, gain tremendous power and understanding, and not a shred of wisdom and compassion. Some of the eldest spirits are some pretty nasty types you wouldn't want to tussle with under any circumstances or in any time.

This doesn't mean that a bad soul can't become good: there's just more spiritual inertia involved; in physics you might express it as tighter energy bindings requiring more energy to change. And it doesn't mean someone who has made evil part of their spirit can't attain "enlightment" (a vastly overrated state, I might add), it's just harder and takes longer for them.

For those of you who keep viewing this as some sort of competition between young and old, what can I say? You're young and don't quite get it. For the most part, the competition is one-sided, as elder spirits usually gave that up along the way. It is like the Sufi tale told above: there are layers of understanding that open only after you've understood the previous. For instance, one of the things the teacher was trying to impress upon the student is that learning is not passive and not continuous: why didn't the student stop the teacher when the cup was full and take some time to savor it, digest it? If you don't take the time to absorb and understand it doesn't matter how much knowledge is poured over you. Learning is an interactive skill that must be vigorously practiced, taking responsibility for what is asked and what is learned.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join