How can one tell if one is an"old soul"?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
Sorry I didn’t see the question on the first read (I think you added it after).

Why don’t I kill myself? Honestly? Attachments. I have thought about it plenty. I have a mother along with animal dependants. If I left they would be in a bad position. That is not an excuse, that is the reality. My mother would live on but it would cause her a lot of pain. But the animals, that is a different story. If it were not for them, and if I did not worry about taking care of them, I am 95% sure I would not be here.

I have faced death a couple of times. In one case I accidentally cut my arm severely (window) and was bleeding out fast. I called a family member. Then I laid back and thought wow…there is a good chance I am going to bleed out here. This could be it, and it doesn’t hurt. Then I thought “this time” it doesn’t hurt, this is really easy. If this isn’t it then next time might not be so easy. And I was fine with it.

Yes, I have many of the same reasons. Anyway, I don't want to force ideas onto anyone or try and box you guys into a corner by trying to prove that you fear death.

It's just that death represents and "end" to something, be that the enjoyment of life or our relationships. We do what we can to try to control the situation and avoid it. Therein lies the problem.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pappie54
A person born in a primitive tribal society would no doubt be a younger soul than a famous opera singer or heart surgeon.

I think the exact opposite is true.

An old soul would understand that being wrapped up in the worldliness of being a 'famous opera singer' would be a drag on the soul. And those souls who are close to the spiritual - those tribal societies such as the Native American Indians of the South West - have less worldly 'things' and are therefore closer to the spiritual truths then the rich and famous.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by RiposteIt's just that death represents and "end" to something, be that the enjoyment of life or our relationships. We do what we can to try to control the situation and avoid it. Therein lies the problem.

Well you two may enjoy life, but I really don't. Haven't for many years now. I would not seek out life preserving measures unless they were "quick fixes" (even avoiding cancer screening after having had a problem with it).

If you guys enjoy life you are lucky. Other than the guilt of leaving dependants behind, I can't say what I would miss. I mean I realize things could always be worse, and I try to be grateful for what I have, but is it fun? No. At least not for a long time.

I feel like I am getting to personal here. But just wanted to point out that people experience things many different ways.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

DITTO. I feel the exact same way.

I want no part of coming back to earth for another round at life. Life is hard work and pain. People constantly disappoint me and my body is contantly breaking down and in pain.

I too am not bothering with a certain cancer screening due to the fact that I wouldn't be able to tolerate the chemo anyways. I do the quick fixes - such as the cutting out of the skin cancer this past summer and antibiotics. But I am in no hurry to prolong life, especially with my body constantly breaking down and in pain as it is.

My glaucoma is going untreated because I can't take any of the meds. They land me in the hospital and/or in such intense pain that it's not worth it. I'll be blind for sure at some point. My knees hurt beyond belief. My osteoperosis is killing my lower back and upper spine near my neck. My irregular heart beat is getting worse. etc etc.

No thanks .. a prolonged life would suck.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I can understand your fear of death. Although I did not consciously suffer from it, as you seem to, I find now that it was always in the back of my mind, coercing my decisions...

I will tell you that it is probably there for good reason, and therefor difficult to release.

For me, it wasn't until I actually experienced life outside of my body that I was able to push that fear aside completely. I think what held the fear to me was an uncertainty of continued existance after death. Even though I could rationalize that if I no longer exist then it wouldn't matter anyhow because I would not be able to regret or reflect upon non-existance, I still suffered from the fear of no longer enjoying life.

Perhaps it is only after becoming CERTAIN that there is continued existance that one can be absolutely free from the fear of physical death.

I should add that there are certain deadly circumstances that I fear the pain of. This is different. It is natural to fear pain. It HURTS
But that does not mean that you should fear for non-existance or some sort of fiery eternal torture. There IS a difference between the fear of death and the fear of dying.

I would suggest that you look into Out of Body Experiences or Astral Projection. While these sorts of things are hard to hold up as empirical evidence of life after death, experiencing them personally can be life changing. It cannot be touted as hard evidence when told to another because there is no science to it, but the subjective experience may very well lay to rest some of your fears...

Just to, for a moment or more, be aware of existing outside of your body... Priceless.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Riposte
For an intellectual exercise, if you are not afraid of death, why don't you just kill yourself? Seriously, it's not an insult, I am asking you to think about truly just killing yourself right at this very moment.

What is stopping you?

Life is an adventure.
Sometimes life stinks, but you never know how it is going to turn out.
If you're reading a book, would you put it down half way through just because you are not afraid of it ending?

The next world is wonderful. I've been there.
But it's like eating dinner. Do you skip the roast because you know the ice-cream is going to be good?

Life gives most of us responsibilities.
I've spent many nights of unbearable emotional anguish reminding myself that, as a single mother with handicapped kids, my childrens' need for me outweighed my need to escape this world.

Life is school for the soul.
I believe we spend time with a tutor between lives, working out what lessons we most need in our next lives, and planning our next lessons accordingly.

The answer to the age-old question of: "why me?" is you chose this experience because there is a lesson you want to learn from it.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981
I think the first stage of our real development comes when we start asking the important questions, and this is what you are doing now. It doesn't matter if we find the answers, because sometimes there are a multitude of them for just a single, thought-whispered question. What does matter is that we open ourselves to the possibilities and that we are willing to accept things that we cannot even fully understand. Not blind acceptance, but with the self-understanding that "this is what I believe to be true now, and if later I change that belief, then it doesn't mean that my previous understanding was for nothing."

We can even learn from experiences of death. What we might learn from our own is a question that will only be answered when that time comes, but we can learn something from others.

Some years ago I had an experience involving the death of a young person that taught me a great deal. I wrote about it and after much thought I posted it within the short stories forum here. (Unless it's been taken and used without my knowledge, it only exists on this site.) If you read it, you might see what I mean. It's only about a ten-minute read but perhaps it will give some insight or at least add to those you already have. It is called "Never Too Late" and you can find it here.

I believe in the concept of having other lives. Whether we call them "past lives" or not all depends on how we view time. If time is only linear, then they might be "in the past"; if on the other hand we have a concept of "One-ness", where there is no real past or future but only an infinitely complex but (also very simple) "now", then we could exist in all of these different lives at once. Hard concept to get across but I hope you follow what I mean. Simply put, we could equally dream or have visions of -- or recall -- "future" lives, not only "past" ones.

Best regards,

Mike

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I think I know whats meant by the 7 soul levels, i looked that up. I don't know why these things are put into categories. I would just go by levels of wisdom or self realization.

Who says a soul has to travel a linear time line? I've read subconscious channelings of pieces of our soul from the future joining with the present so how do you define age there?

I think I'm what you would call a level 7, I feel later on I must find a disciple or something. I prefer to reach multiple people and I know that's why I'm here, I feel it in my heart and its what the more "sensitives" tell me.

I did a past life reading that said I'm done in this solar system and that I'm back to teach. Soujourn's and what-not. Look into those. Leo is the sun, is the highest realm.

I don't feel "special" but I've come to terms that my being here seems so out of place. You know what I mean, its like you're on a totally different wave length then everyone else and you can't understand why they go down the road they do.

I've come to realize that there are certain levels of denial/acceptance, and willingness to learn and evolve that kind of separates us. I think a "young" soul is capable of accumulating much wisdom if they would persue it.

I've known since I was younger, and when I was a teenager that whatever I did in life (though a mystery) I wanted it to be adventurous and change the world for the better. When I was a teenager I was strongly drawn to ideas of rebellious revolution, from there it kind of evolved more peacefully but more actively.

All I know is this is who I am, I have to help people, and I live for self-realization and giving that to others.

Old, young, infant, ancient, whatever.

Just follow your heart!

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
Thanks, I have to work on that a little more, I do think it will benefit me in the longrun who knows? I do however sometimes have the misfortune of experiencing "unwanted" thoughts sometimes scary in nature so maybe that is why I try to "block out" random thought, I wonder how I could sort of filter out negitive thought, any ideas?

The more you try to block out thoughts, the more persistently they will return.
Fear attracts thoughts of that which you fear.

I was once told terrifying stories of poisonous jelly-fish, and had nightmares about them until I found myself tangled in the tentacles of a potentially deadly sea-wasp in a warm ocean inlet.
Once it actually happened it was not frightening at all, because all my focus was on getting the darned thing off me and surviving.
The older girl who had been frightening me with stories about them got such a fright seeing it on me she needed rescuing. I just walked out of the water, knowing it would have to let go then, and took myself to the doctor's.

A sick-minded primary school teacher used to read our class vivid accounts of tortures. So I grew up rather scared of being tortured. Then an even sicker doctor did frightful things to me for hours tied down in a soundproof in a hospital with no anaesthetic, and I learned that, if you are angry enough, your mind can conquer any physical pain. Since then I've never been afraid of torture.

The really painful things in this world are being hated by those close to you, loneliness, and seeing harm come to those you love, especially your children.

There is nothing else in this world deserving of fear.

As for death, it's something to look forward to.

Imagine how a baby is loved by its mother.
Imagine its trusting joy when it's hungry and sees its mother's proffered breast.
Dying is like that. You find yourself in the arms of the most wonderful person who loves and understands you perfectly.

Everyone is welcome to choose to accept that love.
The idea that some are excluded is a scam of religion to keep people in line.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
Thanks, I have to work on that a little more, I do think it will benefit me in the longrun who knows? I do however sometimes have the misfortune of experiencing "unwanted" thoughts sometimes scary in nature so maybe that is why I try to "block out" random thought, I wonder how I could sort of filter out negitive thought, any ideas?

Well as stated earlier in another thread I think you are having some sort of anxiety disorder and because you feel anxious, you focus on the idea of death. It's like when OCD people have to check to make sure the iron is turned off 5 times before they leave the house. It is not REALLY the iron, they are simply having a lot of anxiety so their mind finds things to fixate on, and they feel if they keep going through the useless repetitive acts of checking the iron then the anxiety will go away (i.e. check the iron 5 times and maybe the 6th time you will feel okay).

If it is in fact an anxious feeling that your mind finds a reason to be anxious about, then you kind of have to address the anxiety issue, not the symptom. Could be a chemical thing.

Otherwise, negative thoughts CAN be rewired. You just have to make a conscious effort. Generally you can train your mind to stop the tape (and that is usually what is happening, a tape just automatically starts to play when you allow your mind slip into neutral) by consciously choosing to make a positive statement every time you catch yourself reflecting on a negative statement. I.e. everytime you catch your mind playing the fear based tape just "change the subject" and start mentally chanting something positive like "I am happy and relaxed" for example. Use the same phrase each time so it becomes habit. Only use positive statements, never anything negative (such as "I am not worried", that is negative).

It becomes a habit and at first you catch yourself some of the time, but the more you do it the more automatic it gets, and when your mind turns on the old negative tape you will naturally start to jump to the "positive statement" in response if you stick with it for a while.

[edit on 11-1-2009 by Sonya610]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
what I find hard to understand is, that, with more people alive now, than throughout recorded history, and souls supposedly passed on to the next person whenone dies, that who ever is regressed has multiple prevoius lives, so where do all the new souls come from, that have previous lives?

Remember: Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only changed.

And know this: Nature, Life, the Universe, whatever you want to call it, is very, very conservative, conservative in the true sense of recycling everything, wasting nothing. Consciousness is too resource intensive to waste.

Further, Nature abhors a vacuum: it will fill an empty space with something.

Everything that lives has a "soul", i.e., a pattern of coherent energy that runs the body, whether that body is human, or a dog or an ant or a tree. Presence of a self-sustaining energy pattern = alive, absence = dead.

Have you ever met a smart dog? Or known a cat that talked to you? Have you ever spoken with an elder tree (they might be some of the oldest souls on the planet; it's really hard to get them even to acknowledge you, the very different time scales requires a lot of patience)? Anyway, each of these examples have souls, too, and those can follow the very same path to enlightenment that you can, they're just not as far along (maybe), due to the limitations of the wiring and capacity of the bodies they inhabit. So when a new baby is born, the nearest available "homeless" spirit is attracted to it like iron filings to a magnet. Most of the time there's a "previously human" (uh-oh, language problems here: English isn't equipped with the right words to properly discuss this) soul available to inhabit it, but if none are currently available, it will be filled with the (usually) most [highly developed][best organized][strongest] spirit [locally] [available], a "promotion" of sorts, if you will. If there are none, a very rare occurence, a new soul will generate, but it will be extremely weak and unorganized, and will likely dissipate when the body dies: have you ever met someone truly clueless and very slow to learn, but functional otherwise? One good gauge of the age of a soul is to check out how they hold their energy: I tend to see that more than the actual physical body, it makes them easier to recognize at a distance.

As for where we go when we die, the answer is nowhere...we tend to stay close to the body at first due to the fact that the spirit is quite literally bound to the body and it takes some time for the energy bindings to [decay]. Remember: we are discussing physics here, not metaphysics or spiritual mumbo-jumbo. Think of your spirit as a cloud of electrons that released from the physical body holds together for a brief time, then layer by layer it is degraded by whatever the ambient energy flux is, quicker in some places than others. Once the [unbinding] is complete, however, a spirit can [move] very far very fast. But the longer it stays outside a body the more is lost. Only the eldest and strongest can hold their pattern [tightly] enough to spend any great length of time outside a body without losing too much to the [experience].

The levels of the soul described elsewhere seem to be a pretty accurate description that tallies with my experience, with this caveat: Jesus and Buddha both would've kept their mouths shut had they been a bit older and wiser. They meant well, though.

And death itself is nothing to be afraid: it's just another body. What is to be most regretted is the loss of most of this lifetime's memories.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
An OLD SOUL is one that has reincarnated more than once into the earth learning the soul's lessons.

Check out the Edgar Cayce Readings about soul reincarnation for full explanation.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Daniem

Well stated. I've called my 15 year old grandson, an "old soul", as he is so mature, and wise for his age.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I don't mean to offend anyone and that's really not my intention...but so much of what i read when it comes to this belief strikes me as just as dangerous a concept as any religious belief.

it separates us. it's a class system. and there's no proof.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
There's 5 soul ages:

- Baby soul
- Child soul
- Teen soul
- Mature soul
- Old soul

In 1985, a reincarnation stop for all baby, child and teen souls was placed
on this Earth, when you are born after 1985, then you are by default either
a mature or an old soul. However, that obviously does not mean that just
because you've been born before 1985, you are a younger soul.

It's not very hard to determine the soul age of yourself or of someone else.

Baby souls - completely innocent people, completely dependant on their
family. They won't dream of hurting someone, or going out into the world.

Child souls - very innocent still, and very attached to their family, but they
will start copying other people to experience what it's like to do these things.

Teen souls - starting to get mischievous at first, then they will desire to use
the new found power to manipulate those around them. Will often get caught
in crime, murders, rapes. Soldiers are often teen souls, they enjoy the
violence.

Mature souls - the negativity they experienced as a teen soul, was necessary
to create a conscience, the mature soul will feel sad about the pain he has
caused others, and they will desire to start making up their bad deeds.

Old souls - when the bad deeds have been mostly made up, the soul starts
to take responsibility for all of its actions, words and thoughts, and will want
to learn how to control their own life, and at one point will take the test in
which they prove they can control their life, which marks the end of their
incarnations and the ability to ascend.

That should give you an idea of what kind of soul you are. Right now there
are many old souls on earth, that desire to end their incarnations. This life
serves as a test for them to prove that they can create the life they desire,
taking full responsibility and control over their thoughts, and using that
control to manifest their desires in life. When they've lived a happy life for
a long enough time, the test is complete, and they receive permission to
end their cycle of incarnations forever.

Hope that helps!

[edit on (11/1/09) by Wehali]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Pappie54
A person born in a primitive tribal society would no doubt be a younger soul than a famous opera singer or heart surgeon.

I think the exact opposite is true.

An old soul would understand that being wrapped up in the worldliness of being a 'famous opera singer' would be a drag on the soul. And those souls who are close to the spiritual - those tribal societies such as the Native American Indians of the South West - have less worldly 'things' and are therefore closer to the spiritual truths then the rich and famous.

I agree to an extent but there is an angle that Robert Monroe chucked about that during his astral travels that involved him seeing and being told that Humanity is like a game-and the player decides what they want to do in their next life after they die.
He claimed countles vibrating energies from beyond our earth came here to experience life in a physical body,and its very addictive to these energies
I am pretty sure he also implied there was a soul catcher on the moon,and devices on earth that harvest our emotions-but wasnt sure who operated these machines

Any way interesting topic,we cant realy be sure till we pop our clogs and leave our bodies that there is a soul.I used to be a professionaly trained remote viewer(crv)many years ago and have seen the Midwayers and left my body a few times.the trouble is I can explain that away as my imagination no matter how real it felt.My heart tells me we are all vibrating energies living in a three dimensional body,but the old mind demands more proof no matter what It sees.

If any of you havent checked out Robert Monroe,then please do so.His book Far Journeys is a great read and makes one think about life in another way

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kat77
I don't mean to offend anyone and that's really not my intention...but so much of what i read when it comes to this belief strikes me as just as dangerous a concept as any religious belief.

it separates us. it's a class system. and there's no proof.

Actually, no. It doesn't seperate us at all. Again English fails: the older you get, the less anything in particular matters and the more everything does. But it does allow the elder to sucker the younger based on superior knowledge, but one grows out of it, mostly, not always, but eventually....mostly.

Siigghh.

That's about as clear as mud but as close as I can get.

As far as proof goes, I'm old enough to know it doesn't matter what others believe, I know what I know, because I know who I am.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Again English fails: the older you get, the less anything in particular matters and the more everything does.

--------------------------------

Translation - The young ride the particle and the old ride the wave.

Peace and happy wave riding

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I know this will not appeal to some but i am not trying to say I know or that this is right, only that this is a school of thought from ancient sacred tradition.

There is a teaching that we live the same life over and over and over and over again, until we get it right, figure it out and move on to the next lesson. This from Boris Mouriveiff, a student of Gurdjeiff and one who did spend time in some of the ancient religious temples that let few people in. To this I think the sense of de je vu may give some credence.

In my understanding, the post by Wahali makes the most sense. Young souls make many mistakes and the older souls are paying 'an eye for an eye', for
those mistakes. And we may not remember because we would be horrified to know what we have done in the past.

There is also a belief that each soul lives many lives at once, that the soul is seperated into many lives. Any progress in one life effects the others.

Most mothers are aware of the basic instincts or personalities of their children from birth. I have watched two of my children grow up to be the opposite. It is my belief, for the moment because I change as I learn, souled humans come here with the knowledge they have learned in the past to the extent it is imprinted on their soul.

As for the fear of death, I too, was once afraid of death. I was in a car accident and thought I was going to die. A sense of peace came over me and I was not afraid, it was just "I'm going to die now" and it was okay. That reminds me of the book by Corrie Ten Boom (sp). She was going to get on a train to leave her home during the war and she was concerned about whether she would know when to get off the train. Her father told her not to worry, the conductor would give her the ticket when it was time. (I may not be relating it correctly) After my accident this saying aways made me think that when it was time to leave the earth, I would be given the peace I need to do this. Or...maybe it is just, been there done that.

[edit on 11-1-2009 by liveandlearn]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wehali
In 1985, a reincarnation stop for all baby, child and teen souls was placed
on this Earth, when you are born after 1985, then you are by default either a mature or an old soul.

Where on earth did that idea come from? Some channeler?

new topics
top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join