It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can one tell if one is an"old soul"?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I will start off by saying that I have no expierience in this subject, my grandmother had told me months before her death, that I was an "old soul" Puzzled I asked her what that ment and she simply replied "well, you have been here before". Now, I have never been big into spirtuality or the like but am currently starting to wonder what this is all about.

I have 2 questions, the first being the thread title of course and the second being, If one is an "old soul" then how many times do we "come back"? I hope this holds true as it would be comforting to hold onto the thought of returning in one form or another someday. As always thanks in advance for kind and thoughtfull insight it is appreciated.

I realize that religion will play a key role in determining the vallidity of the soul, so for the sake of discussion I will disclose that I do not strictly follow any religion although I was baptised catholic. Again thank you in advance for any thoughtfull insight into this.

[edit on 11-1-2009 by alyosha1981]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Have you ever had dreams where you had seen yourself in the past? Sometimes a past life experience can come through dreams, sort of like memroy recall of your "old soul".

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Hello RFBurns!
I vaugely recal some dreams like this but can't remenber detail, I have also been experiencing very lucid dreams lately. I cannot put a definate example into words as far as seing myself in the past in dreams, maybe closer to "feeling" that in a dream state.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Look for the obvious, people who have good lives, loving lives, they get to have lives where they do what they enjoy such as artists or leaders. Look at the quality of life each person has, not wealth, but over all happiness and fulfillment in their lives. Younger souls need to learn more basic lessons in life, hence they must go through more stress in their lives to have the opportunity to learn. A person born in a primitive tribal society would no doubt be a younger soul than a famous opera singer or heart surgeon. Older souls don't get worked up easily, they've been there, they are less into the self through greed and status. Just think of the logical differences you can think would be logical and they usually are. There are exceptions.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

Hello there!

Tho I am not into psychic readings very much, I had a reading done on me a few years ago and the first thing the psychic told me was that I had a past life as a fighting warrior during the Roman Empire era. What is odd about that, is I also remember having dreams more than once, seeing myself fighting in a very distant past that seemed to look alot like a time of the Roman Empire era.

But I have also had other dreams were seeing myself in more recent times, during colonial era and during medieval times.

Its been said that past life can be recalled through dreams, and sometimes even when not dreaming..or "day dreaming". Like a memory flash or something. Do you find yourself staring at something for minutes at a time and kind of feel like your there, but somewhere else too? That is one form of a past life trying to recall itself through sub-concious memory recall.

The mind is still a frontier yet to be fully understood. There are so many possibilities when it comes to the human mind and its capabilities.

The energy of thought is extremely powerful. And it can be very revealing.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Somebody very close to me has also been told that they have an old soul, or a 'restless soul'. He has been alive, and around for every world war there has ever been... And I wish that he could find out more, and find out what he is here for... because his soul is extremely troubled.

Anyway, yeah. An old soul has been around for a long time, keeps coming back.

I think you need to spend some time figuring out 'spiritual' stuff, and your purpose and all that stuff, before your soul can be allowed rest...

Really I want to find out more about this stuff too.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
First, you have to understand that energy cannot be created or destroyed, merely changed in form.

Second, you have to understand that "you" are really a particular pattern of energy that is housed within a physical body to protect that pattern fron being disrupted by ambient external energy flows in the environment.

Third, understand that besides protecting your pattern from the ambient energy flows, your body serves as secondary and temporary storage to hold the experiences of this particular lifetime.

Your pattern may be strong and well-organized or loosely held together depending upon whether you "walk the walk" and make things part of your spirit. Note that is is possible to walk the evil path as easily (or more so) as the good, making that path part of your spirit.

Think of each body as composing the RAM and hard drive of your life. The experiences of this life are held in RAM, with some important ones being written to the hard drive. When the body dies, we have a storage capacity/energy budget problem: if your spirit isn't strong and well-organized, you'll lose most of each lifetime's experience, poof, just like when you shut off your computer. The parts you made your own, where you did the hard work, some of that stays with you each time, taking less space and energy to preserve. Some things are so well integrated they become instinct, taking up little room and energy: ROMs, sort of. Important experiences are compressed like RAR files; unfortunately, until we've lived a long time and learned how to wake up early and deliberately uncompress those memories, we have to wait until we stumble upon their natural triggers to decompress and access them. Sometimes this is interpreted as 'deja vu', sometimes as madness. Those triggers are keyed to, encoded by, the memory itself: a certain sound, the way the light strikes, a smell; it's hard to say.

When we are reborn, the infant body is too physically small and immature to hold all the energy that an adult body can: hence the loss and need for compression.

It takes living many lifetimes to wake up and begin to suspect the reality of life: that the body is a temporary vessel, the spirit eternal, not in a metaphorical, spiritual way, but rather in a nuts and bolts, pure physics way. It takes living many more lifetimes to become an old soul and be willing to face the reality; to be able to reconcile oneself to the loneliness and patience and joy that the simplicity of understanding demands. We make fast friends, deep loves only to lose them. At first we think forever, then we meet them again. Finally we understand that it can take many lifetimes to meet our loves once again as equals in time and space, not too far off in ages to preclude sharing again in all joy.

We come back forever as far as I can tell, unless we die a true death: that is, in an energy environment violent enough to rip apart the patterns. Most at Hiroshima and Nagasaki died true deaths, very few, the very strongest and oldest, survived. But they lost the vast majority of who they were, what they knew. I think that's really why no nukes were ever used again. Everyone really felt the "disturbance in the Force", whether they understood it or not.

I hope this helps.

[edit on 11-1-2009 by apacheman]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Well the few descriptions below really sums up these 'trouble-makers'. Really, that's what they are: souls that cannot seem to understand that they have been dead a long time ago and won't leave the people around them alone and in peace.

Originally posted by LostNemesis
[...]an old soul, or a 'restless soul'[...]

[...]soul is extremely troubled[...]

[...]keeps coming back[...]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Pappie54

I cannot explain but something doesn't feel correct when describing the differences between a 'young soul' and an 'old soul'. It appears more opposite than what has been listed here.

I don't mean to tear apart your 'post reply' but, yes, there are exceptions.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Wow that is alot to take in and thanks much for taking the time to type that out.When you say that we keep coming back forever, does that mean that we can become content (spirtually) and just know that everything is "ok" I ask because I have lived a very stressfull life, and although I'm currently successful, the stress bears on, andnot just the physical kind the emotional kind as well.

To PikyPiky:

I feel restless I guess all of the time I can't seem to "settle" or relax even when I'm relaxing so thank you for pointing that out.
To RFBurns:

I think I know what you are experiencing as far as the staring at something and feeling like I'm somewhere else (another time?) for me it's more of a feeling though or comparable to knowing in a sense.Thanks for sharing too BTW

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

If you don't mind me asking, how is the person's soul troubled? what do they experience? I only ask in order to compare if I might.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Content? Perhaps, at times... contentment is a temporary condiment that flavors life and makes us appreciate other aspects. If you think about it, contentment is a pretty passive state, and life is meant to be active!

But I'm content when I see pretty flowers, or kittens, or clouds skimming across a blue sky, knowing I've seen them a million times before and will see them a million times more. It's what I do around those times that drives me crazy, lol. But seriously, patience and forbearance allow their own sort of underlying contentment, I suppose. Live long enough and you learn to be patiently impatient: when it take four or five lifetimes to get in synch enough to have a decent conversation with your friend, you have to learn it.

True contentment comes when you look into someone's eyes and see that your old friend recognizes you at last.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Thank you apacheman! I like the way you explain things, I guess by content, I was refering to the quelling of the "restlessness" and replacing it with the contentment (hope that makes sense) not to say that one would always be "happy" but on a spiritual level, let's say having had many prior lifetimes.

posted by apacheman
True contentment comes when you look into someone's eyes and see that your old friend recognizes you at last.

This I have not experienced yet to my knowledge, I hope I will someday though!

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Well, in answer to what he experiences.... Flashbacks of times of war, death and destruction. Thoughts of it, dreams of war...

He is a very aggressive and dangerous person. I don't know if it's because of what his soul might have gone through, or.... who knows.

So maybe being an old or 'restless soul' is something that a person might just feel, or know.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
What you grandmother said an expression. An old soul: Someone who seems to do stuff right in life, like they have learned all of lifes lessons, like they have secret knowledge... (like they have lived life before and remember experiences and is drawing on them in daily experiences.)

A good example is the child who seems older than its birthyears, expressing a maturity that is usually seen far beyond the age in years of the child.

The following is a brief description of the characteristics of five basic soul levels. Each level has many lifetimes of lessons to teach us wisdom through trial and error.

THE INFANT SOUL
INFANT SOULS choose lessons of physical survival. They live in simple situations that include intense experiences - famine, plagues, floods, wars, oppression, etc. They don't know the difference between right and wrong, though they can be taught to be decent human beings. They don't usually seek higher education and often don't seek employment, as such. Infant souls don't question authority and willingly adopt the religion of their parents as is.

THE BABY SOUL
BABY SOULS display less fear than infant souls and are more
sophisticated. But they tend to over apply rules. Black is black as far as they're concerned. Their strong early beliefs remain fixed in their minds, regardless of lack of their wisdom or tolerance. Baby souls love to become big fish in their little puddles...but hate being opposed. Because of this they may spend much time in litigation. Baby souls don't spend time navel-gazing into their own lives. They're often "good students" that learn "proper subjects," and are attracted to
fundamentalist religions.

THE YOUNG SOUL
YOUNG SOULS are the "Donald Trumps" of the world...the movers and shakers. They usually set the bar too high for themselves. Achievement is paramount. They chase after what they believe will bring success without ever stopping to think why - because they're so limited in their perception. They fear death and must have all the toys, experiences, fame and money they can possibly accumulate before they die. They are designers of civilization. Young souls usually seek higher education and graduate-level degrees. Their views of orthodoxy are at one end of the spectrum or the other. Monks and nuns are at one end and a belief in total sexual freedom, the other. They have difficulty with insight into other people's behaviour.

THE MATURE SOUL
MATURE SOULS challenge the young soul's desire to "have it all." It is a hard cycle that demands seeking answers to life's tough questions. They are attracted to gentler faiths, such as Quaker, Unitarian, or Buddhist. Mature souls are not as open to the occult as old souls. They look for and question the motivation for all of life's actions. They often continue with inappropriate relationships - perhaps believing that through self-sacrifice, or tough lessons they will ultimately prevail. Often they can't shake their sense of duty. Mature souls suffer from stress related illness that sometimes results in schizophrenia, psychosis and a higher suicide rate than other souls. [Cayce emphasized the role that `stress' plays in not only physical illnesses but also mental illnesses; he believed it was `stress' that wrecked havoc on the brain chemistry/balance]. But they're smart enough to seek professional help without urging. Mature souls often make huge contributions to knowledge - particularly philosophical and scientific. But altogether they don't necessarily have the drive for fame, many still achieve it. They're emotionally high maintenance.

THE OLD SOUL
OLD SOULS live and let live. They seek the route of least
resistance...they're individualistic and usually easy going. They have an inner knowing of the waste of time in pursuing fame and fortune and therefore create the appearance of being "laid back." Old souls are highly competent - even in roles they don't particularly like. They tend to choose work that is pleasant and undemanding, leaving them free to pursue their desired goals easily...unless the job adds to the spiritual search. They may or may not seek higher education... but definitely will seek it if they sense it's needed for their chosen path. Old souls create confidence in animals. And their choice of medical care tends to be alternative and holistic. Old souls are here to teach others their spiritual understandings. Their philosophies and writings are simple and easy to read. Old souls religion is far reaching and has no
label. A grove of trees is a sacred place to them. They seldom cling to dogma and prefer personal spiritual practices. However, old souls are wise enough to be discreet in their religious practices and know how to pass in public undetected. They focus on searching for the spiritual truth and have a finer sense of knowing what is true than any other souls level. Old souls all over the world share the experience of emptiness and a longing for that feeling of home.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Daniem

Wow quite a bit there thank you very much! I'll have to read it a few times to let it sink in, I find many simmilarities from all of the above to my current self, preplexing to say the least as I can't say that I fit altogether in only one of the levels, very thought provoking thank you again!

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I just want to mention the referenances for that last post. It's from Chelsea Quinn Yarbro s Micheal books, Micheal's people and all of that. According to the material there are 7 soul levels ; only 5 of which occur on the Prime material plane.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by liquidself

Thank you, where do the other 2 occur and what are they, also do you know of any ofter resources for this subject that might be helpfull and of ome use to me? if so please provide the names thank you.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Hi All,

Daniem, I must say, that your post does a wonderful job of describing the different "soul-states".

alyosha1981, I wanted to add that sometimes you will find yourself drawn or attracted to the cultural aspects of certain cultures without really understanding why. (If you even pause to ask yourself why!
)

A good example is if say for instance, you find yourself intrigued by all things Egyptian. You always watch any historical program depicting it. You love the art and collect things here and there. You decide that one of your goals in life is to see the pyramids before you die.

Yet mentions or depictions of say Greek culture, dont really interest you beyond the "need to know".

Not that my examples hold true for everyone. It is just something for you to ponder. I would also like to add that you should make sure that you set aside, as often as possible, quiet moments for yourself to relax and ponder whatever floats into your mind.

Actually I think this is an important thing for everyone to do, but then again I am quite sure no one asked me for my opinion!

Oh, I also wanted to add that Old Souls also have great love and forgiveness for themselves, feelings which they, in turn, share with others.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
---\

when you can see without looking

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join