It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jump to your own last post (in a given thread) option suggestion...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

That is a great idea and one I had wished for as well.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
i would like to give my support for the OP's idea.
would make life a lot easier, dunno if it can be done though.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

thank you, been here almost a year and this was something i didn't realize before.
it answers the op's question precisely. i don't understand why they aren't getting it.
you have just save me a ton of work from here on in

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Well no!!... It does not answer my question!.. That function gathers all my posts from a given thread and displays them... Which is fine IF i ONLY WANT TO READ WHAT I'VE TYPED!!

Why would I just want to read what I've typed, and not the posts that were made right before and right after??

That's the crux of this thread... To have a quick way to jump to you last post in a large thread... even if it's just the same page as your last post... Then you can pick up reading from the point where you left off. Espically good if you don't get on line for a few days.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Frankly, I can't think of any forum sites that have such a beneficial feature.

It works almost as good if you have a NUMBERED POST that you've remembered (can't, here), that you can go to and start from there (as desired).

Miracles are nice, but common universal features would be almost as nice. Hint, hint.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Excellent suggestion. As of now I just ctrl-f and search for my name in every page that was made since my last reading of the thread. When I find it I read on from there.

It would be nice if you could "save" your spot on a thread and come back to it later, regardless of all the other posts that have been made since.

The easiest way to implement this, I think, would be in the form of a button on your myATS page next to a subscribed thread on your Top 50 Subscriptions list, which sends you to the last post you published in that thread.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by cognoscente]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by cognoscente
The easiest way to implement this, I think, would be in the form of a button on your myATS page next to a subscribed thread on your Top 50 Subscriptions list, which sends you to the last post you published in that thread.

Yes I agree, if you look in your profile under posts each is given a number, I think it would be quite easy to code a button that simply looks for the highest number in a given thread and when you click it it drops you back into the thread at that point.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
personally, i just add the page i last posted on, to my favourites, then if i see someone has posted after me, i click on the favourites page and there i am.
Thats my solution anyway.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I don't know how or why this would be a nightmare to code, there are plenty of other forums who are doing this successfully. I'll be straight up, I would be a much more active member of this community if this one feature was added. I think it's nothing short of ridiculous that we can't revisit a thread exactly where we left off and trying to find that place yourself after an overnight barage of posts is a very frustrating waste of time.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Please can we have this? Pretty please??

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Some people seem to be missing the point here . What is being asked for is a BOOK MARK so we can pick up where we left off reading when we made our last post to a thread. OK, I have found a work around that will at least get you back to the page. After you make a post to a thread right click on the page your post is on and then click Create Shortcut and you will have a shortcut on your desk top for it. I am going to start doing this and keep them all in a ATS folder on my desktop. I know it is not what everyone wanted but it wil have to do for now I guess.

[edit on 1/13/2009 by fixer1967]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
this is THE BEST IDEA for a board improvement I have seen in a looooong time....

I really hope SkepticOverlord will agree as well.

I flagged the read for emphasis.

GREAT IDEA!!

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I've been hoping a feature like this would be added since I joined.

I often lose interest in long threads I've posted in as I can't be bothered going back over long threads to get to the place of my last post.

Add my vote.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I've always wanted this feature, or something similar. It would also be nice if the button appeared on the "my threads" column under the "myATS" menu. Some kind of button alerting us to new posts would be nice, too. Sometimes the "last post" was made by the same person each time I check, but there's actually new activity in the thread.

I find that it's hard to keep up with threads we're active in on ATS. I once deleted all my subscribed threads with a single mouse click :-(

The feature suggested in this thread would make things much easier (though it wouldn't help with my own clumsiness.)

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SS,Naga

Sure you can, just hit "This Post" and put the link in your new post for them to just click on to go to.

Here's your last post!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I would think this would be very easy for a new reader to follow/understand.

[edit on 1/14/2009 by Keyhole]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I agree, we NEED this feature on ATS!

All the underlying code is already there, the web programmers just need to add another button into the Top 50 Subscription on the 'myATS' page that takes you to your last post 'in thread'. Of course, they need to log it to the DataBase as your posting but they have to do that with every other thread feature.

Should be simple IMHO!

IRM

[edit on 15/1/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
This is a good suggestion another thing that I believe would be good (and wouldn't be a coding nightmare) is a button next to the page buttons that took you to the newest page. I am in an area where I frequently have to shut down my web and then boot up again and am spending large amounts trying to get to the latest comments and replies.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Oh golly, I hope the admin can do this. I have given up on many threads because I cannot find my last post.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
This isnt the first time something like this has been suggested, however, the last time it was raised I believe that Skeptic Overlord informed the board that the coding (for reasons arcane and unknowable) would be a ten gigaton pain in the rear to achieve. I hope sufficient advances have been made to allow for the posited function, because I agreee that it would be a very positive step forward in terms of ease of interface.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cauch1
This is a good suggestion another thing that I believe would be good (and wouldn't be a coding nightmare) is a button next to the page buttons that took you to the newest page. I am in an area where I frequently have to shut down my web and then boot up again and am spending large amounts trying to get to the latest comments and replies.

ATS already has that... On the recent posts page, far right is the name ot the last person to post, click that and you go right to the end of the thread, likewise in your myATS page.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join