It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jump to your own last post (in a given thread) option suggestion...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Justa quick one... Sometimes on the threads that develop really quickly, 5 pages over night for example, I usually want to 'pick up from where I left off' or in other words go back to my last post and pick up the discussion from there... At the moment I have to go back page by page and scan for my last post (unless I'm missing another way)....

Could we not have an option, maybe in the myATS area that 'jumps' you to your last post in the threads you have already posted in - in a similar way to the link that takes you straight to the last post... I know nothing of running a site! And I love the work you guys put in around here
, just a suggestion... I don't think it would be a major thing - but then again I don't know.

Admin... What d'yall think??

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

is this what you are looking for Now_Then

Or you can use your My ATS as well

[edit on 10/1/2009 by Sauron]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
good idea,,,, always hard figuring out where i left of in any thread

or maybe a way already exists and i don't know it

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I know what you're saying. Sometimes it's difficult to find where you left of in a thread. I've come back on the next day to see PAGES have been posted since the night before. IDK but it would seem like a coding nightmare. I'd like it though.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
If you click on posts from your profile it takes you to all of the post you have in the forums. You find the thread you want, go all the way to the right to the in thread column click thread post and it opens up to all of your posts in that thread in order. Your last post on bottom.

Hope this helps.

[edit on 11-1-2009 by Ant4AU]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
reply to post by Now_Then

is this what you are looking for Now_Then

No not really.... That's fine, but all it does is take me to the thread... Some threads are seriously long, and I want to go to the page I last posted in.

I think it could help cut down on useless / unnecessary posts as well, if you can pick up where you left off you can read how the discussion developed while you were away... pillaging the neighbouring village

I've no idea what it would take to code that... I like my end user lot in life

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
yeah that didn't work or the my profiule suggestion,,, it seemed to not work went to all the first pages,,,, and it was only threads i started ,,,, not other perople's topics i posted in

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
did you click on threads or post from your profile page. did you go all the way to inthread column. click thread post for the thread that you was looking for. When I click it, it gives me all of the post that i had in that thread.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

Yep tried the posts option... It takes you to the 1st page of whatever thread you post in!!! (for me any way)

what I'm thinking is something similar to this.... (circled)

that takes you to the last post currently in the thread... but my idea is to take you to the last post you made... For instance I post something on page 3... while I'm off-line 78 million pages appear... I don't remember which page my last post was, but I want to start reading from that point!

So I think if there was a way to easily jump to that page without scanning the entire thread would be a good thing

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Exactly.
I want to go to my last post in a thread - IN the thread - not just to see my post, but actually in the thread.

GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!

*P*E*A*C*E*

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Even just the same page as your last post... I might be getting RSI in my index finger!... wouldn't want to try claiming compo from ATS now would I

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I agree it would be a BIG!!!? improvment to the site..

The yellowstone thread for instance it took me over 20 mins to find where i had left of nightmare, nearly gave up!

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ant4AU
did you click on threads or post from your profile page. did you go all the way to inthread column. click thread post for the thread that you was looking for. When I click it, it gives me all of the post that i had in that thread.

he doesn't want to JUST see his own posts.. he doesn't want to go and read his post (or maybe he does) but he's wanting to find his post so that he can go ahead and see where people have responded to him.. immediately after that thread.

i usually just click Ctrl - F and type my forum name in the find field and look at each page. pain in the butt.

some forums have an option where you can get emails when someone quotes or replies to one of your posts.

that would be nice.
or maybe just some PMs that would take you directly to where the person replied.

what you're suggesting .. does bring about our own posts.. but that's all.
would be cool if on that page you could click something there and it would bring up your post ON that page where it exists.

i don't really understand the value of the "all the posts's ive'e written in a thread" ... over the value of what we're talking about..
seems like what we're talking abotu would hold more useful value.

-

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Just NUMBER the thread posts, PLEASE!

It could sure save a lot of confusion. I can't tell people to "read post#11" or such, I have to say: "go to page 3, my second (or 3rd or 4th or 5th) post down...etc."

I mean, other sites have this, and makes remembering what you posted where a whole lot easier: just give us some Numbers, Please!

[edit on 11-1-2009 by SS,Naga]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
If it wouldn't be too much trouble for the admins, I would add my support to the suggestion.
In fact, I thought about asking this question day before yesterday myself.

It can get tough. Especially if you have to leave while in the middle of a discussion. When the pages are piling up quickly, it can be very tough to remember where your last contribution was. Something that would bring me back to my last post in the thread would be awesome...
Or like the poster above suggested simply numbering the posts (which I don't think would be much trouble at all, as surely they are already numbered. It would just require displaying the numbers on screen) would be easier than the way it stands now.

And I DO think it would help to keep the threads a little more topical, not much but a little, because it would be easier for people to keep the same train of thought even after coming back from being gone for extended periods of time.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Yes It's a Conspiracy to get more clicks out of you, and y'all know it! This website has some of the smartest people i've read from, but they can't do a good website layout for the life of em! I often dream about how amazing this site could be....

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SS,Naga
Just NUMBER the thread posts, PLEASE!
It could sure save a lot of confusion. I can't tell people to "read post#11" or such, I have to say: "go to page 3, my second (or 3rd or 4th or 5th) post down...etc."

Sure you can...

On each post you will see the little word 'this post' in this line
posted on 11-1-2009 @ 09:42 PM single this post

click on that and you get this

http---www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread426828/pg1#pid5619111

The unique post # is 5619111 but all you have to do is right mouse click on 'this post' hit 'copy link location' and paste it into U2U post or email and it takes people right there to that specific post in the thread

Also at the bottom of each post if you hit 'thread' it will display all your posts in that thread and you will get a post id on your last post in the thread Not that hard really

If its several pages just make a new post... hit 'thread' and see where you left off

Edit to add Just noticed the 'thread' button is not in board business but it is in a normal thread

[edit on 11-1-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I know what you mean. I have gotten to the point that I keep a note pad to write now what page a post I made is one so I can at least get the the page that I posted on. But that is a real pain to have to do. There does need to be a MY LAST POST IN THIS THREAD link. Not sure if it will happen but it would be very nice to see.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I find that feature senseless ('thread'): if you have a lot of posts, you still can't indicate which to read easily for a new reader (or everyone), unless you repost using 'quote.'

what I do is hit 'single' and copy n paste the link, but nobody cares to click it (unless they want to see a pic, like in your posts!). It would be much easier to give a post number for easy reference.

And yes, I click on my avatar to go to profile, but the numbered post would really make a place like ATS so much easier. Just my opinion.
Thanks, though.

Some how, the brains at ATS thought they'd 'improve' on the forum form.
It has some nice features, just needs the numbered post.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I agree with the OP.
It would be a welcome change to be able to jump to your last post within a thread.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join