It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rice says it is 'hard' for Israel to spare civilians in Gaza

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Rice says it is 'hard' for Israel to spare civilians in Gaza

rawstory.com

US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Friday "it's hard" for Israeli troops to shield civilians in Gaza because the area is so densely populated and Hamas uses people as human shields.

"It is very difficult in circumstances like Gaza, which is a very densely populated area," Rice told reporters when asked if Israel is living up to its humanitarian obligations during its two-week military offensive in Gaza.

"I might note it's also an area in which Hamas participates in activities like human shields, using buildings that are not designated as military buildings to hide their fighters. So it's hard," Rice said.

Rice has returned to Washington from New York where the United States abstained in a vote Thursday for a UN Security Council resolution calling for an immediate ceasefire and an Israeli withdrawal from Gaza.

"I was encouraged that Prime Minister (Ehud) Olmert, after an extensive conversation we had, agreed to open a new humanitarian corridor," Rice said.

"We're going to continue to pass the Israelis information about what we're hearing about the humanitarian situation on the ground," she said, adding that the United States will continue to support efforts by humanitarian groups.

Earlier, White House spokesman Scott Stanzel blamed Hamas for the suffering in Gaza.

"It is a humanitarian crisis. It's a war zone. And war zones are very difficult," Stanzel said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Apparently shelling and bombing civilians is okay if you can not differentiate between them and combatants. Britain had the same problems in Northern Ireland with daily bombings in London but did not have the compulsion to explode Belfast to smithereens.

The behaviour of Israel is exceptional and this exceptionalism is being encouraged by the Bush administration. Rice's words will cost the lives of men, women and children.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Jebus Chist...i mean honestly....does anybody even care what Rice says anymore. She obviously believes whatever BS her speech writers come up with.

You know how it would be easy to spare civilians? STOP BOMBING THEM.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by masonwatcher

that just made me sick to the gut.

This administration is no less nazi than the nazi's of wwII. Why are the american citizens not up in arms about this?

I wouldn't be surprised if they call for a draft in america to support israel. I mean, how blind can a country be in it's support for another? Makes me think that Israel is nothing but a colony...

[edit on 10/1/09 by 04326]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by 04326

Well we all have to remember operation Paper Clip in these times. Nazi's do live in the US they have been since and before the war started.

It's the continuation of the Third Reich, or the start of the Fourth, take your pic.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

i haven't looked into operation paperclip yet. i will be doing some heavy reading this afternoon by the sounds of it.

.. and to top it of condi rice and crew are shipping arms off to israel.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

"I might note it's also an area in which Hamas participates in activities like human shields, using buildings that are not designated as military buildings to hide their fighters. So it's hard," Rice said.

Well I would consider it hard to use "military buildings" when Israel has them rounded up with the civilians in Gaza with all exits sealed off. Not to mention that any "military buildings" that Hamas has has already been destroyed by Israel.

[edit on Sat Jan 10th 2009 by DJMessiah]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I swear Condi Rice could have said "The Earth is round" and someone would have a problem with that.

A Terrorist government operating in a densly populated area, using its citizens as human sheilds? Of course it is going to be hard to spare civilians.

This is a totally 100% accurate statement...so why all the fuss?

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

I think the problem is that the fear of where this is headed, this could be it, I mean the war that has been talked about it appears that any escalation and more killing will draw in the other countries in the immediate area, her concern should be to tell them to abide by the U.N. ceasefire, not make a speech that seems to endorse more fighting and actions contrary what the majority of the U.N. voted, just because the U.S. abstained do you not think that her statements are not congruent with the majority of the U.N. ?

I mean it seems that the U.S. needs to quit the U.N. because it seems that our actions in the last few crises are against the will of the majority and against the invisible coalition of the willing.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Rice says it is 'hard' for Israel to spare civilians in Gaza"

Yes well doesn't that make sense to you?
Do you possess an ounce of logic?Or is it all religious rhetoric?
Oh Israel don't fight the terrorists that fire rockets at your country, because you might kill the civvllians who support Hamas anyway.
And that Hamas drag into the way of bombed buildings?
Want proof terrorist supporters?
LINK I ONCE HAD THAT GOT TAKEN OFF YOUTUBE BY THE RELIGIOUS MURDERERS!

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I wish it was just as hard to 'spare' politicians in Washington DC as it is 'sparing' the innocent citizens of Gaza.

No wonder they need the SS to save their arses.

MBF

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Why hasn't anyone stopped to think about the rockets that hamas has been shooting at the Israeli civilians for months? Or does that count?

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
The only thing I got to say is that Rice didn't even use the word spare. The title is very harsh when you read it. Makes it sound like Israel has a difficult time stopping itself from killing civilians. Trust me if Israel wanted those civilians dead, this battle would have been over on day 1.

Britain had the same problems in Northern Ireland with daily bombings in London but did not have the compulsion to explode Belfast to smithereens.

Good thing Belfast wasn't launching rockets or they might have found themselves in a similar predicament. One will never know.

[edit on 10-1-2009 by jam321]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
I swear Condi Rice could have said "The Earth is round" and someone would have a problem with that.

A Terrorist government operating in a densly populated area, using its citizens as human sheilds? Of course it is going to be hard to spare civilians.

I was going to post something similar.

Many people on this site have fallen into the niche of disagreeing with anything any government representative says unless of course they are Ron Paul or Jessie Ventura... lol. (really, lol). I agree with a lot of what they both say, but they are not the only beacons of truth in the world, damn. Are you people really that retarded?

I don't particularly like Israel or especially Zionism, but Hamas using/battling from civilian areas does not give them immunity from being fired upon while Israel is being fired at.

Just because I'm standing behind a few kids while I'm throwing grenades at you doesn't mean you should just stand there and.... die.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

Agreed. What she says is 100% correct. There are 1.5 million people living in the Gaza strip, an area of only 140 square miles. That's nearly 11,000 people per square mile. Its pretty tough to conduct military operations under those conditions without civilians being right in the middle of it, unfortunately, and that's especially true given Hamas' tactics.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by masonwatcher

its hard becuase hamas uses civilians as cannon fodder or human shields. Reports out of Gaza say residents who attempted to flee their homes in the northern area of the Strip were forced to go back at gunpoint, by Hamas men.
Other civilian complaints state that Hamas gunmen pull children along with them "by the ears" from place to place, fearing that if they don't have a child with them they will be fair game to the IDF. Others hide in civilian homes and stairwells, UNRWA ambulances, and mosques.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
It's really simple, even a child can understand it. If they were not using the strip of land as a beach head to launch missiles into Isreal none of this would be happening now.
So we have Hamas,
a) Using the dense population as a shield to delay a response as long as possible
b) Then using the inevitable dead civilians in their ongoing propaganda.

Hamas cares nothing for life, they are killing on both sides of the fence.

If the UN would do their job, they would clear out the Gaza strip and make it desolate for at least the next hundred years with nobody setting foot there. Where would they go to live some may ask? Let em bunk up with the bleeding hearts of the world in their safe little bungalos. Then when they start boodshed in their own backyards we will see them change their tunes.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
We have a lot of good posts here. We have to ask ourselves, at what point did the Hamas government think it was best for the militants in the Gaza to lunch rockets into Israel? At what point did they think that this was a good idea?

Iran claims to have 70,000 students volunteer to go over to Israel and preform suicide bombings. Their government put and ending to that as soon as they realized that it could come back to hunt them. In my honest opinion, if they want to give away 70,000 of their educated people let them go ahead. I don't care, most of them are going to get stopped. They can spend their years in a prison locked away.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
No she's wrong!! It's hard to change a flat tire in a winter blizzard, it's hard to go to work when you are sick, it's hard to watch Billy Mays comercials, But "spareing civillians" is not hard It's a responcibility that comes with war and one that Israel is failling miserablely at.....Shaking head in disgust for the trash that comes out of her mouth

[edit on 12-1-2009 by alyosha1981]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

Hamas was elected in fair and democratic elections,i guess we could call the American government a terrorist organization.Ok your correct they are firing rockets in a highly densely populated area,using them as human shields? no like you said they are firing in a highly densely populated area...which is mostly all of gaza.Israel broke the peace fire agreement on november 4th,even during the peace agreement there was a humanitarian crisis,no rockets were fired until israel broke the agreement.So we have the people of gaza with no food,no water,no electricity or atleast until there are blackouts for hours at a time,israel controls who enters and leaves gaza,controls all its airspace,controls all its coast..STILL occupies gaza,oh yes dont fall for that *We pulled out in 2005 propaganda"

www.globalsecurity.org...

So we have two options.

a) Starve and die

b) launch our futile home made rockets,hope it musters attention from the international community..lets remember also that israel could shoot down with american tech every single rocket with absolute ease...yet they dont,wonder why?

Do i like hamas and many of its views? no...were they fairly elected? yes and the election was funded by the EU who after hamas were elected refused to acknowledge them..well that was a waste of money.And israel point blank refused to talk to them after they won the elections.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Both sides are in the wrong,hamas and the israeli government are playing childish political games while civilians die.But in my eyes israel unlike hamas is the only regime that can deliver its promises and cause absolute mayhem and bloodshed like we are seeing now as opposed to political posturing and saving face like hamas does.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by Solomons]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join