It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The possibility of The Matrix

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by theresult

that doesnt explain why we are alive though or if we are inside a simulation. it only breaks down a seen reality into a mathematical sum. you cant think this subject in the aspect of math because math does not resolve the question "is what we see reality and not a simulation". what your equation showed was that being alive is aware of A reality. 1 single reality and unaware of what else may exist. your sum could possibly take the form of life= +1 and death =+1 therefore this equilibrium is unbalanced and may result in the act of a third or forth party to tip existance back into a balance

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by stealthAUS

that doesnt explain why we are alive though or if we are inside a simulation. it only breaks down a seen reality into a mathematical sum. you cant think this subject in the aspect of math because math does not resolve the question "is what we see reality and not a simulation". what your equation showed was that being alive is aware of A reality. 1 single reality and unaware of what else may exist. your sum could possibly take the form of life= +1 and death =+1 therefore this equilibrium is unbalanced and may result in the act of a third or forth party to tip existance back into a balance

that doesnt explain why we are alive though or if we are inside a simulation. it only breaks down a seen reality into a mathematical sum. you cant think this subject in the aspect of math because math does not resolve the question

You said this.. READ IT

and how veru correct.. MATH is a joke.. and so is the matrix..

we are so small so stupid we dont understand being alive is our key

Think of it this way

Red pill = death

blue pill = stayin in the loop

that is our problem colectviley we don think we ask

im bored

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by M157yD4wn
to me thats scary because we could be characters in a video game and at the whim of our gamers. Homeless people are a result of neglect or uninstalling the game on the outer gamers level.

I think about this sometimes too. And, it ties into what many mystics hint about when they say what we see is reality is just an illusion.

I think about it this way, however.

Instead of "us" being at the whim of a "gamer" who is separate from us, what if our consciousness IS the gamer, and the gamer is so immersed in the game that we have forgotten that "we" are not the "character."

In my first online MMO, the very first time I was killed in PvP, (and it wasnt consensual, I had no choice that was the ruleset there) I thought I was going to have a heart attack. My breathing and heart speeded up, my adrenaline raced as I tried to get away to save my own "life." It wasnt even a very good game by today's standards, but in that moment, for me it really felt like life or death, even though "I" was sitting safe behind my keyboard. In that moment, I "was" my character, and my characters struggle to survive was experienced by me as if it were my own.

What if our "life" is a virtual world, and we are not who we think we are? In the game, we think we are the character, but in fact, it is because the immersion is so complete. In truth, perhaps it is not some "other" toying with us, but we are in fact the player not the played, only we have forgotten it while we are in the game to make it more real.

[edit on 10-1-2009 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Reading this information is kinda giveing me a sore head....
very deep conversation...I think it all boils down to this...
Who and What are we,and just what are we capible of as a human race.
the human race if orgaised is capeable of magnificent feats.. unfortunitly we are a tribel creature,we are obsest with wipeing everyone else out.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

so you think our bodies are just a vessel then which can be used by our mind which is control from outside a simulation?

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   

no offence but you seem to miss the math..

computers "games" are logical.. not "real" they are simulated flaws based on our understading..

The smarter we get the better "our" simulated relaity "computer games get"

now.. life? well that another story...

We dont understand life yet.. trust me i am trying with math and its very hard to put alot of whati think here in ats..

But we are not simulated.. "we thought of that" based on a paramater called bieing alive.. as i said befor..

being alive is our loop here.. why question the loop?

when you die you become a line..

when you are alive you are a round thing that loops

stupid yes.. but that is math for you

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

lol

sorry im not laughing at you or your theory i just think its funny that you put it so bluntly.
"life is a round loopy thing and death is a flat line"

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by stealthAUS

Do you realy want to sit here and read lots of crap??

hey i know i dont lol

i do try

my point is that we are indeed in a loop.. loop that is alive..

our question is why we are alive..

My question? why bother asking.. it loops and never ends = infinity

I want a constant.. im happy to die are you???

Do you think the universe is everlasting? no its not why? becoue you sir just like me WILL INFACT DIE..

you have a choice BE ON MY LEVEL "ie us lot" or be dead..

wat is it the human race will ask? to be DEAD or stay in the loop..

we ask to much and dont think "we are here"..

"question = loop"

"line = understanding"

life = staying in

loop - life..

we neeeeed to stay in the loop. as a colective..

and we are not.. look out ur window sir do you see a loop??? i see chaos

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

maybe death is part of that loop were its the connecting link which we all seem to miss and therefore can never understand the loop until we die ie see the full cycle?

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by stealthAUS

I dont know if I would say I think or believe that. I am a philosopher, and I tend to entertain ideas that I know I cannot really know without really taking a stand.

I just think that it COULD be the case.

I dont believe, as some do, that just because something appears open and shut, such as life and death being totally different things, that that is necessarily the case.

When my character "dies" in a video game, it resurrects. It isnt really dead, it just appears that way until I resurrect it, and then it goes on as if nothing has happened. And, I, the player of the character, have not changed in terms of life or death at all if the character dies. I am still safe behind my keyboard. I can also change characters, and have the appearance of "me" in the game be totally different, but the consciousness driving the new character (me) is still the same.

My friend who insists that life is a circle while death is a straight line is entitled to his belief, but I do not see evidence of that that would make it certain enough to call fact. Though it could be.

For instance, when the sun goes down, (dies for the day) it hasnt really died, it is shining on the other side of the planet, and in the morning it will be "reborn" when the Earth completes its circle and the sun shines again on my side of the world. Its "life" was not a circle and its "death" a straight line, the entire cycle of its life/death is a circle that repeats over and over. (The turning of the Earth) Life and death in this case were dictated not by objective reality, but by ability to see the whole picture. If I had been able to stand above the Earth and had a different viewpoint, I would have never assumed the sun went away at all. I would have known that darkness (death) was merely the way half of the circle appeared if your view was limited by your physical circumstances.

So whenever I think about a thing, including the possibility that this reality I think I am in might be a game, I know that because I could be in the game and not outside it, my ability to know for certain will always be limited. But I dont have to let myself assume that what I am seeing is the whole truth. I DO have evidence that sometimes things are not what they appear to be when viewed from a slightly different angle. So, like Socrates, I suspend belief altogether and simply know that I cannot really know, and all I can do is keep looking, thinking, and considering possibilities.

Edit to reply to StealthAUS; Exactly. We dont know for certain that that is the case, but it is certainly a possibility that we cannot really discard either.

[edit on 10-1-2009 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
There is a free podcast here about this same idea....from red ice creations

www.redicecreations.com...

Jim Elvidge - Are we Living in a Simulation, a Programmed Reality?
March 13, 2008

We are joined by Jim Elvidge author of "The Universe Solved" and we'll discuss the possibility that our reality (the universe) is programmed or that we're living in a simulation. Is the concept of the Matrix possible? If we're not in a simulation then how far away are we from creating our own simulated reality? Join us for a fascinating discussion as we explore these topics and much more with Jim Elvidge Topics discussed: The developed of the theory, what other scientists and researchers have similar theories, nanotechnology, powerful computers, how can we know if we're in a simulation? We talk about the idea that we're trapped in a simulation of a previous civilizations or another race of intelligent beings, Moor's law, The Thirteenth Floor, Existence, Video Games, Nanobot's, metaphysical anomalies, Magic, UFO's, The Hive Mind, "Easter eggs" and much more. We continue our interesting discussion with Jim Elvidge and expand on the concepts of Nanobot's, nanotechnology and regulation, the singularity, artificial intelligence and much more.

[edit on 10-1-2009 by arc de triumphe]

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Sun Jan 11 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I have often pondered the same thing. But i was watching a show and one person pointed out "it seems we are living in a program, for instance if any thing about our earth, bodies, or possibly universe were different we would not be here." I think when you die you just die. I want to believe that when you die you can be a spirit and mess with people though.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ryckE

Ok lets look at the rules of our game

logic
Reality
being alive
being/using money
Day to day crap..

this is very real.. we can not debunk being alive...

WE ARE ALIVE... stop asking why!!!!!

in math.. we have 2 ways to say this Infinnityyyy and PIIIII = questions..

Paramaters of this game? 2.. alive and not alive...

we need to understand we must not lose this game..

We dont need to care that we are here just understand we are and make it our #

we are neo... well not neo but well better? hehe

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by theresult
The only problem then becomes a paradime..

Who made the simulation.. ?

heres a great video that may provide an answer to your question the answer will come towards the end but the entire video is worth the watch

Google Video Link

[edit on 11-1-2009 by constantwonder]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
HE WAS RIGHT ITS CALLED BEING ALIVE...

god i want to cry..

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Your whole argument rests on the definition of being "alive". There is no way to prove that our reality is or isnt a simulation. Thats the catch.

My argument has always been that there is no way to prove you even exist outside of your own mind. Your consciousness is the only thing you have in this world that you can be 100 percent sure actually exists.

Everything and everyone could just be a construct of you imagination. Its the the observer effect.

There is no way to prove something exists when your are not observing it.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by stealthAUS
could it be possible for us to reach such a point in technology that we can pass what we forsee as reality? are we on the verge of discovering the secrets to what we see as material to really just be a simulation?

To a degree. Today we have no idea how there can exist paranormal phenomenon for example. This is because most people are convinced our physical world is all there is. I think this will change in the future. We will discover there are many more dimensions than we can perceive. Just like we cannot see infrared light with our eyes but its still there. But I dont think we will ever be able to look outside the system if this is really a simulation.

I think in 100 years, if we are still alive as a species, we will have stations around the Earth and (publicly known) bases on the moon and other planets. And we will be able to travel out into space for a price. We will know there are aliens out there as soon as we get rid of NASA as the gatekeeper into space.

We will look back at this time in the same way we look back 100 years now, and think people were mostly the same, only technology has changed.

[edit on 11-1-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
you will never see the matrix with two eyes.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by drock905

I think you are missing the point..

We do not know what life is "i use the alive and dead paramaters" becouse that is our loop..

Now can i prove we are not infact a simulation.. Yes...

becouse if we are then the progam is flawed "ie coz you know about it"

simulation becomes a simulation again..

the matrix is based on a paradox/paradim / fractal / loop..

Its a good film but would you you ask what you are if you never seen it??

well math asks the same thing everyday "thats how we got the movie"

we jazzed it up

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Dude, that is such an awesome idea. This whole discussions just reminds me of sitting around listening to Pink Floyd and getting stoned with my buds in college.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join