It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The possibility of The Matrix

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
in the last 20 years the advancement in technology has been outstanding. we went from large computers with small amounts of capability to literally a complete turn around of computers so incredibly small yet with the processing power thousands of times as fast as there earlier brothers just a few years before. so what are we reaching with our lead into the future. we can take a picture today on some of the brand new digital camera's available and we can also see an exact still frame replica of what the human eye can. we have HD tv's that look almost so life like that it could be possible to reach out and touch the persons face. we play computer games which move at faster frames then what our eyes can comprehend. and all of that is happening now. where will we be in 10 years time? i know its a question commonly ask but really think about it. could it be possible for us to reach such a point in technology that we can pass what we forsee as reality? are we on the verge of discovering the secrets to what we see as material to really just be a simulation? and if thats the case what happens then? are we all free and released into what maybe seen as reality or the spiritual world?
These are all questions which arose to me while i was at a video store looking at the difference between blue-ray and dvd. could i possibly be onto something here?

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 10/1/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by stealthAUS

I can't remember the name of philosphical theory right now. Basically in a nut shell it says that if that we are able to comprehend and theorize that existence is nothing more then a computer simulation then it has to be one.

Kind of scary in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
The only problem then becomes a paradime..

Who made the simulation.. ?

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by theresult

I dunno maybe humans made the computer then died out, the computer decided to construct a simulation of its creators.

Or maybe the human race was dying out and transferred intself into a simulation so the memory of itself wouldnt be forgotten.

Maybe we have always been a simulation created by somthing or someone we cant comprehend. Were kept at a certain level to not undersatnd it.

computers grow exponetially so if the universe exists long enough its inevitable that a simulation would exist of some sort.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   

maybe everything you think is possible!!!

ok its not.. lol

Take each day as it comes.. its nice to think about the loop but being stuck in one sure as hell sucks...

I vist often when i do math ; )

Then i have a beer and relax.

I take red pills and blue pills and green ones!! jking

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Here is a philosopher who has written a very good paper on the possibility (probability) that we are living in a simulation.

www.simulation-argument.com...

ABSTRACT. This paper argues that at least one of the following propositions is true: (1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a “posthuman” stage; (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof); (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation. It follows that the belief that there is a significant chance that we will one day become posthumans who run ancestor-simulations is false, unless we are currently living in a simulation. A number of other consequences of this result are also discussed.

Emphasis mine.

Stated in the positive rather than the negative as he does in his abstract above he is saying;

1) IF the human race does not go extinct in the near future.

2) And IF our descendants do not pass laws or otherwise forbid the creation of ancestor simulations. (Simulations of us)

Then,

3) We are almost certainly living in an ancestor simulation created by our descendants right now.

It can get a little dense at times, (as most philosophy does) but it is a very interesting read. If that paper is a bit too much information for you, there are other links to "popularized" versions that are written in English rather than "Philosopher-ese" directly below the link to his own paper, including one that specifically mentions the Matrix.

[edit on 10-1-2009 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   

I went to good ole wikipedia

Simulated Reality

Nick Bostrom's theory is what I was thinking about before......

The philosopher Nick Bostrom investigated the possibility that we may be living in a simulation A simplified version of his argument proceeds as such:

1. It is possible that a civilization could create a computer simulation which contains individuals with artificial intelligence.
2. Such a civilization would likely run many—say billions—of these simulations (just for fun; for research, etc.)
3. A simulated individual inside the simulation wouldn’t necessarily know that it’s inside a simulation—it’s just going about its daily business in what it considers to be the "real world."

Then the ultimate question is—if one accepts that theses 1, 2, and 3 are at least possible— which of the following is more likely?

a. We are the one civilization which develops AI simulations and happens not to be in one itself? Or,
b. We are one of the many (billions) of simulations that has run? (Remember point 3.)

In greater detail, his argument attempts to prove the trichotomy, that:

either

1. intelligent races will never reach a level of technology where they can run simulations of reality so detailed they can be mistaken for reality (or this is impossible in principle); or
2. races who do reach such a level do not tend to run such simulations; or
3. we are almost certainly living in such a simulation.

Its a fascinating philosophical discussion but its one of those things makes my head hurt after a while.

edited for:
Illusionsaregrander you beat me to it.

I.m still trying to remember find the theory on computer power

[edit on 10-1-2009 by drock905]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
yes you are right something had to have made it.
This leads to a few different possibilities.
1. was it people-
it is well known that our ancients from all over the world (greece, rome, egypt, atecs etc) had a great understanding of the world and universe with insight to information which is only being discovered quite liturally by science. could it be possible that this information was passed down to these people by a "matrix creator(s)" or could they quite possibly be first residents to kick start our existance inside a simulation. possibly volunteers? convicts? programmers?
2. advanced ET intelligence-
could it be that we are initiates of a created reality by those from the skys above? could this be the reason that we have never been in proven contact. a theory called the Fermi Paradox states that mathematically with over 70 septillion stars in the milky way and what is only what we can see or the visible universe that there has to be other planets like earth which support basic and intelligent life. if this was the case why have we never received viable radio transmission or seen pysical evidence of this? why has the universe not been colanized? im not stating there there is nothing or nobody out there in the vast depths of space because to me it seems unlikely that we are alone. but could it be we are alone in this reality?
3. God-
could it be that the world we call the material world is a hoax and the world we call the spiritual world be a material one? could it be that god or whatever being is controling the vats of which house different realities? could our secret societies be aware of this existance and have some sort of connection with the outside of our reality to another one which is the house of god? could we all be plugged into a great big system in the halls of heaven and unplugged once we die? and could it be possible that those we call saviours, holymen and prophets really just be programmers or angels working for a higher being?

another point to add, is it possible for mankind to create a matrix of our own so would the occupants be placed inside a simulation of a simulation so therefore they cant really be there right? or could it be possible to leave "our matrix" by creating another.
i dont mean to sound crazy im just looking into something which i hadnt thought about before and i would like to hear what others believe about the subject using the same "evidence" or information as i have.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
what he is saying really is that infact he aint got a clue

Its a paradime we can not esacpe..

You see.. infinity is here for a reason HE IS UR DADDY...

you will never get to the end of it becouse there aint no end.. for us anways..

Tho here is a spooky thing.. We can affect the thing we are in right now.

We can change the game ; ) just getting there is a pain in the butt.

We are alive that is our game and to be DEAD sucks... The game ends when you die.. no matter what anyone says "you aint alive"

Now with that in mind we find ourself in a very big loop "being alive"..

the green pill = you see the loop ; )

[edit on 10-1-2009 by theresult]

On this day i shall say the loop IS LIFE.. get with it

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

its just a thought experiment,

- a proposal for an experiment that would test a hypothesis or theory but cannot actually be performed due to practical limitations; instead its purpose is to explore the potential consequences of the principle in question.

Personally I find that stuff pretty interesting. Do I agree with the theory, i don't know, but i would rather spend time with that then football or something.

[edit on 10-1-2009 by drock905]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I think you mean "paradox" and not "paradigm".

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   

in saying that noone really knows or understands death entirely. all we do know is that the human body discontinues to function which results in the end of a persons life inside that body. we know that body decompses, turns to dust where it once came from and over time those atoms become reused for the creation of other things throughout the universe. which in saying that means that i could have matter in my genetic make-up that was also part of someone such as julius ceasar.
so apart from the pysical what else happens? is our consciousness is reborn in that of someone else or something else across the universe which can be seen as the hinduism reincarnation for all eternity or could it be we return to a spiritual world for the rest of eternity or enter the christian gates of heaven. or maybe (getting back onto the original subject) death is the awakening of ourselves as we leave the computer simulation and step inside reality.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Yes i understand his long winded words..

tho i dont write like that lol...

You cant be simulated..but then you can.. .. we dont know.. but who cares???

Being alive is the key here.. the longer you are alive the more affect you have...

Think of rain hitting the surface of water.. and making random but "based on laws" make chaos

We are kinda in the same boat..

His idea is just one of many its a loop. we ask why? when why is a question that loops into infinty

Dont ask just understand! life is a loop and we should stay IN the loop

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Dirk Gently

paradime / paradox

one is object one is not

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

i agree with what you are saying and yes i think we should all just stay inside the loop but just to be inside it isnt enough for me. i want to know why and how it happens and what reasons of whos result.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I sometimes wonder if the people we see in our video games are beings capable of conscious thought. more of the sims type games, and on the pc of course, where their simulated life is going on even when we dont play. to me thats scary because we could be characters in a video game and at the whim of our gamers. Homeless people are a result of neglect or uninstalling the game on the outer gamers level.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
we know it what it is

its called being alive!!! arrrg my head hurts

BEING ALIVE IS OUR ANSWER!! hahaha

Look .. let me edit this

alive = value of 1.. me and you talking is both our reality..yes??

Now being dead is not.. -1 shall we say!

So we are in equilubrium.. on blance "same plaine ect"...

We see this loop for a reason its called being alive that gives rise to infinity.. we are just a calculation..

if we want to stay in the calculatation then we need to be "alive" ; )

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
thats a good point i didnt think of simulated computer characters. could what we call our subconscious be nothing more then someone whispering our simulated character what to believe in? does that mean we could all be androids? living breathing androids bent to the will of those who design us for there leisure. like the "skin jobs"? could we all possibly be cylons or replicants designed to be human in everyway but not be human?

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Look its a simple question you ask here..

what happens with my "nrg" and my "atoms"

one of the same thing... but you wont be alive will you? NOPE..

Here is my point "too keep YOU" being YOU we must STAY on this level... this level IS our being or we would not be here..

We should be ruthless at being alive.. but alas we are not..

wars.. waste of time... LIfe? level of thinking..

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   

hey well you thought of it im sure you can make it happen one day

Life is very very strange and the loop is very very big..

I like to look at it not be apart of it and ask why..

makes you very robotic "as you put it"

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join