It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Pelicans Possibly Running From Earthquake or Tsunami?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
A 3.6 just slammed Southern California and there has been a marked increase in EQ activity the last few days as well as magnitude. Could these pelicans be a warning in advance of a large imminent coastal event?

Why are all these pelicans disoriented and heading inland?

Source Link

A mystery disease is striking California's huge flocks of pelicans, which are being found disoriented far from their usual habitat, and displaying extreme fatigue and bruising inside their beaks, reported Wednesday. Bird rescuers suspect that fatal algae toxins may be responsible for the scourge, but the birds do not display many of the symptoms associated with those toxins, which normally occur in the summer. Another suspect is run-off from the fire retardant that was used in huge amounts to battle wildfires along the coast last summer. The birds are usually seen flying in formation along the Pacific Coast or diving into the ocean to catch fish in their large beaks. But in recent weeks many have been found deep inland and far away from their usual routes. Adding to the consternation is that many of the dead pelicans are adults, while it is usually the younger birds that are the most frequent victims to disease. "We have ruled out starvation because there are plenty of fish in coastal waters right now," said Jay Holcomb, executive director of the northern California-based International Bird Rescue Research Centre. "We are seeking answers from all the experts we can find.")

Source Link

[edit on 10-1-2009 by Wormwood Squirm]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
That is an interesting and disturbing theory. I do know that China pays close attention to the behavior of animals when it comes to predicting earthquakes!

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
It could be... or it could be poison, as the article suggests.
If it was because they felt something coming, we would be seeing it in other animals by now as well.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
How about Avian Bird Flu... maybe a strand that is transferable to humans. I actually live in California, Silicon Valley and noticed brown and white pelicans near the 101-highway north inbetween Morgan Hill and San Jose. I first noticed two pelicans Thursday thinking nothing of it and then again today my girlfriend commented on the fact she saw another pelican standing on the center divide.

Very strange indeed. I'll keep an eye out and if something arises I will post again.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Flag and star. I will be watching this thread with interest, since I am setting on top of the New Madred fault, and we had a strange disappearance of most of the small game around here for 2-3 weeks. Only the squirriels in my backyard hund around.
The birds are back, but the rabbits(usually 10-15) are gone. I saw one lurking in some shrubs this morningn. Prior to that, Nada.
Good thread.
Stay prepared my brorthers and Sisters.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
If it was somehow connected to the animal 6th sense, other birds and animals would also show strange behavior. Also Im pretty sure pelicans do not migrate, they stay in the same colonies all year round and travel to the sea just to eat and then go back home. This sort of disoriented behavior thought to be linked to electromagnetism from the earth is thought to be linked specificly to migrating birds to the best of my knowledge.

Disclaimer: Im no bird expert, so please correct me if im wrong.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Interesting theory.
I live here - in SO CA.
My ears and eyes are always open for unusual animal behavior.
They have recently posted tsunami signs on the coast.
and... I don't think this was just because someone was bored.

I think most of us can agree -
It feels a very unsteady time on this planet...
to say the least.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Waldy did agree with me, about the other animals reacting too.

However, I seem to remember from somewhere that birds are usually the first ones to react to seismic activity. Especially house birds, where it has been observed more than the wild birds.

top topics

join