It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prince Harry apologises for racial slur

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Originally posted by ANOK
How can anyone make excuses for this guy?

Who the hell in this world, who has ANY consideration for others feelings, would even consider dressing up as a nazi?

That's the point... you would have thought nobody!!

Ignorance breeds ignorance.

[edit on 12/1/09 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
He served in the armed forces in the Middle east, so who really gives a damn if he drops a racial slur.

And that makes it alright does it?

So if someone joins the services they have earned the right to be a racist and you think that's O.K.?

Interesting.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------

ps.....while everyone's so concerned about what Harry is doing shouldn't we be more concerned about what his brother's up to?

Personally I don't trust ANY of the eletist blue-bloods. Parasites the lot of them!

(Hi Maj!)

[edit on 12/1/2009 by nerbot]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Dont you people realize, that the reason you're so politically correct is because the very governments you despise so much tell you to be?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazyninja

No... i do it because i have morals and i know the difference between right and wrong.

To judge somebody, mock somebody or otherwise make an assumption/judgement about them based solely on their skin colour or place of birth is THE most ignorant and abhorrent thing you can do to another human being.

It is pathetic.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I couldn't agree more. Happily, using an abbreviated word to describe someone is neither judging someone nor making assumptions about them.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

No... i do it because i have morals and i know the difference between right and wrong.

To judge somebody, mock somebody or otherwise make an assumption/judgement about them based solely on their skin colour or place of birth is THE most ignorant and abhorrent thing you can do to another human being.

But you are not.

You are picking and choosing what’s ok and what’s not based on someone’s race.

You think it’s ok to call someone British a “Brit” but not call someone Pakistani a “Paki”. You base this on race.

The rest of us see a Brit as someone from Britain, a Paki as someone from Pakistan, An Aussie someone from Australia.

All you see is White and Asian.... so who is the one bringing race into it? Who’s really the racist?

We see a Nationality, you see a colour!

As for people complaining about the term originally being derogatory, times have changed and people have moved on, you people are the only ones keeping it in that place!

Paki is simply someone from Pakistan, Harry said it about his friend, who is actually a Paki believe it or not and he hasn’t actually complained! I’m sure he’s very proud to be a Paki as Harry is proud to be a Brit!

Mikey

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Paki is simply someone from Pakistan

That's just the point, it is not. It is used as a racial slur against anyone who appears to come from the Indian subcontinent. How many times must this be stated before people listen?

In this case: yes he was from Pakistan but how many times is this insult levelled at people from Bangladesh or India? Even if they are from Pakistan it is still derogatory as explained earlier. I don't see how this fact can be ignored. Ragheads too? As I said before it's the equivalent of Obama (or a fellow black high ranking politician) using the term 'honkey' or 'cracker'...

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
All he did was call someone a Paki and at another time a rag head. Who cares!?

And I bet you wonder why minorities don't trust white people?

Who cares? Those of us who see comments like harrys as nothing but ignorant, stupid, hateful, and only the tip of what his class really think.

But as long as those others don't show their true colours in public it's OK...

The ignorant masses? Or the ignorant few at the top?

The ruling elite is an institution that has had it's day, we're coming for ya!

Why this double standard? I work construction and I'm called/call people a very, very large group of names. I'm childhood frineds with a lot of east indians, or paki's (i called'em paks), and i asked them one time why they take offense so much about racial things (they let me "get away" with it, but other whites couldn't), and they replied simply "because you let us".

Being offended by stupid things is more offensive than calling somebody a rag head.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by heyo
Why this double standard?

Not sure I follow you mate?

...and they replied simply "because you let us".

Because you let us what? Be offended? That doesn't make much sense.

Being offended by stupid things is more offensive than calling somebody a rag head.

Again though it's not just someone calling someone a 'rag-head', it was PRINCE harry. He wasn't at work with a bunch of working class lads, he was at some high falutin do that none of us would ever get invited to and he's flaunting nazism and using derogatory terms.

Quit apologising for him! There is no excuse for someone in his position to be acting the way he is.

Double standard? Harry and his type wish, actually demand, to be treated as superior to their 'subjects' So as one of their 'subjects', well x actually, why should I not hold them up to a much higher standard?

You have to realise when you, or I, call someone a Paki at work it doesn't have the same impact and connotations as it does when someone in a high position says it. You are equals at work, harry is not an equal, he is disrespecting those he feels he is superior to.

It might seem like no big deal, but it's only a tiny leak from the dam holding back the years of racial genocide and outright theft from their 'subjects'.

The royals have a very shady history. princey phillip has admitted to supporting the nazis.

Here he is circled in red leading a nazi parade in the 30's...

Is this enough to make you question, and maybe go check them out a little more deeply, and take the issue more seriously?

[edit on 1/12/2009 by ANOK]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Pfeil

use of the word paki to relate to a person who was born in pakistan is like calling a person who lives in uzbekistan and uzbek, a person in afghanistan an afghan and so on. the country of pakistan literally means land of the paki, afghanistan means land of the afghan an so on. so where is the slander.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by heyo
Why this double standard?

Not sure I follow you mate?

...and they replied simply "because you let us".

Because you let us what? Be offended? That doesn't make much sense.

Again though it's not just someone calling someone a 'rag-head', it was PRINCE harry. He wasn't at work with a bunch of working class lads, he was at some high falutin do that none of us would ever get invited to and he's flaunting nazism and using derogatory terms.

Quit apologising for him! There is no excuse for someone in his position to be acting the way he is.

Double standard? Harry and his type wish, actually demand, to be treated as superior to their 'subjects' So as one of their 'subjects', well x actually, why should I not hold them up to a much higher standard?

You have to realise when you, or I, call someone a Paki at work it doesn't have the same impact and connotations as it does when someone in a high position says it. You are equals at work, harry is not an equal, he is disrespecting those he feels he is superior to.

It might seem like no big deal, but it's only a tiny leak from the dam holding back the years of racial genocide and outright theft from their 'subjects'.

The royals have a very shady history. princey phillip has admitted to supporting the nazis.

Here he is circled in red leading a nazi parade in the 30's...

Is this enough to make you question, and maybe go check them out a little more deeply, and take the issue more seriously?

[edit on 1/12/2009 by ANOK]

the double standard is basically whites don't get nearly as offended as other peoples.

The "because you let us" is simply we listen. They would make up an excuse to make teh majority whites feel guilty, when even in their own minds it wasn't justified. They only got away with it because no one called them on their hypocrisy due to political correctness.

The naziism, there is no justification for. The problem is that the nazi thing and the towl head thing are not the same. One is much more extreme than the other.

I'm not apologizing for him, I'm saying that I don't believe that what he did was very offensive, except for the hitler impersonation.. (and THAT is just social awkwardness manifest, or it could be he's the #ing antichrist i don't know)

You're right, harry isnt an equal. I bet i could outrun, outhink, and generally outlast him.

The thread was titled "princ henry apologizes....". It seems you are trying to prove two different things. THat harry is bad, and calling sombody a _______ is bad. On the first point, you may be right, but on the second, i think you're wrong. Keep in mind i'm canadian, and i've said this before, but racism ends in highschool up here.

I'm wearing a helmet in my picture, but if you call me a helmet head i'll get offended...I will check out the links too, peace.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
You are posting pictures of Harry wearing an SS trooper uniform. We know the event and we have seen the pictures. It was wrong of him to do it. Not disputing that. But you claim to have the moral high ground and insight to label him a racist? I think your logic and reason has been tainted by the emotional outrage you feel when you see somebody in a nazi uniform.

That picture strikes you so much inside that you will find any other incident you can to "prove" that he is a racist. Try put your emotion aside and ask yourself if all this heavy scrutiny that he faces on a daily basis might negatively affect his mind set and the decisions he makes.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by spitefulgod
reply to post by haika

no it was said 3 years ago

Ok, so maybe they decided to release it now to add fire to Middle Eastern tensions.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

your so wrong... i live in n.ireland and all my life have seen the slogan brits out..
had f#ck off back home brit shouted at me..
brit b#stard etc..

so don't tell me that saying brit is not offensive..

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by fatdad
reply to post by ANOK

so don't tell me that saying brit is not offensive..

Fair point, the most common slur I've heard chucked at the British from Ireland is 'dirty huns' though. More to do with the (false) belief that they are more racially pure than the British, the English in particular.

[edit on 13-1-2009 by Goathief]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Mikey84

It is not the abbreviated term i have a problem with... It's the stigma attached to the word.. It is an offensive word.
Go and say this to the next group of "paki" lads you see...
See how inoffensive it is then!!!

If you can honestly say that "paki" is used to ONLY describe people from pakistan... then great.
But it is NOT... people (racists) use it (and have used it) to describe anyone from the subcontinent... it is a generic, RACIST term for anyone who looks "asian"... not east asian... but as i said... from the subcontinent.

If you are defending the use of this word... then you are guilty of ignorance or worse.. racism.

You are trying to make out that people who have a conscience and try and live their lives treating everyone equally and solely on the person and not the race or appearance, is a PC enforcer... not the case.

I don't even use the term PC... it is ridiculous.
If you judge someone on race, or ridicule or mock them... you're a racist... simple... PC does not come into it.

[edit on 13/1/09 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
But do you agree that friends can call each other offensive names, without being persecuted by the thought police? Good grief.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Yes I do agree, however he is in a position of power/authority and that comes with greater responsibility as has been stated already. More disturbing is that this isn't an isolated indecent, he has a bad track record (including dressing up as a Nazi) and the family in general have been connected to racism and prejudice time and time again.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
For the record, I had friends that were DESCENDED from Indian, Bangladeshi and Pakistani famillies. They were all refered to as 'Pakis'. What I failed to mention earlier was that none of them actually were Pakis - they were all English, and that was why they thought it offensive.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lazyninja
But do you agree that friends can call each other offensive names, without being persecuted by the thought police? Good grief.

You can do anything in the privacy of your own home, or in the company of friends... i am not for policing thoughts or jokes.

This case has been highlighted because Prince Harry is a public figure... he has a duty and a responsibility to act in an appropriate manner... and not be seen to be using derogatory words or "racist" terms.

I think the person who sold/released this story is pathetic and only after money... but.. that does NOT change what harry said, and the fact that the word IS and can be perceived and taken as RACIST.
You can call your mates whatever you want and have a laugh and a joke... but would you go out in the street where everyone can hear you and do it?

No... that's the point.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join