It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prince Harry apologises for racial slur

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

He's a racist plain and simple, coming from a long line of bigots and racists, these people dont give a hoot, we all seem to forget the hitler incident when Harry dressed as a Nazi, once a racist always a racist deep down.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by blah2200
reply to post by tezzajw

He's a racist plain and simple, coming from a long line of bigots and racists, these people dont give a hoot, we all seem to forget the hitler incident when Harry dressed as a Nazi, once a racist always a racist deep down.

Pfft, are you serious? You think you can claim him to be a racist because he impersonated an SS trooper at a dress up party? And on another occasion uses a derogatory term for somebody from a different country?

I agree that somebody in his position shouldnt act and do things that reflect badly on him and his family. It's pretty clear that he made a mistake. He has apologised - like he did for the other incident - what more do you want from the young man? Proclaim that he will never utter another word that may be offensive to someone else? Remember this guy is hounded pretty much all day by people who WANT him to stuff up.

[edit on 12/1/2009 by ExamineAllViews]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
The town I live in is full of people from pakistani origins.... we call them Pakis they call us honkies or whitey... It's an understanding we have.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Maybe he did it intentionally, who knows...
And by intentionally I mean that maybe it was planned for this to happen so that it will add to the fire with the whole Middle Eastern tensions.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by haika

no it was said 3 years ago

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

I found nothing in his comments offensive. He is engaging in friendly name calling, a way of expressing a kinship or liking for those around him. Teasing. Verbal horse play.

Oddly, calling someone a racist has become an avenue of control and nothing more.

When someone is identified publicly as a racist, others use this labeling as a opportunity to commence with the same kind of hatred that is inherent in real racism. Blaming, name calling, class separation etc. (Read comments on this page as proof)

In the modern world racism is little more than pseudo-moral labeling, because we are all guilty of pointing out our differences if we have something to gain but refuse to tolerate the same from someone else, at which point those people become “racists”.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
As an ex-member of the Armed Forces, all I can say is this: Who Bloody Cares?
Those who served in the Armed Forces will know that everyone gave everyone a nickname, regardless of their colour, creed or faith.
It`s happened for hundreds of years and will continue to happen.
What he said happened 3 years ago in the privacy of his friends - 3 *&*&^* years ago!
No one reported it then, because no one cared, it was all taken in good fun. But because some low-life scumbag decided he could make some money out of it, he decided to sell it to a scum reporter, who then printed this to sell his f*&*ing newspapers!
So what if he did use the word Paki or Taffy or Raghead, who cares.
I`ll tell you who cares.......all the braindead, Politically-Correct, dumbass idiots who don`t have a real life.
They should give them a gun and send them to Iraq or Afghanistan, then we`ll see how *&*&^&*&^ brave they are.......!
The media in the UK are nothing but scum

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
they where talking about this on the radio today and they where saying calling British a brit or brits was not racial but calling a Pakistani a paki or paki's was... its just more proof that if your white you must be racist no matter what you say are do.. any thing a non white says can never be racial...

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I worked at a call centre in UK where there were lots of workers from Pakistani orientation, i heard of complaints all the time from them everytime anything remotely racist or relating to terrorists etc .. this didn't bother me as such, what did bother me is the fact that in an English speaking workplace i was 1 of 2 white workers out of 9 round our desk and they constantly chatted in their own language (not English), laughing, pointing all the works .. nothing was said about this .. imagine it the other way round and we were passing notes only intended for us, laughing and pointing .. i think racism would soon be called !!

All tit for tat . .kids stuff !!

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by fatdad
its just more proof that if your white you must be racist no matter what you say are do.. any thing a non white says can never be racial...

The reason 'Paki', as I've already explained, is considered a negative derogative term is because of the history of the use of the word.

There is no negative connection to the word 'Brit'. Maybe if you were an immigrant in Pakistan, and they used the word 'Brit' to be a negative put-down you'd have a point. But 'Brit's' were not immigrants, they were invaders and deserve any derogatory name thrown at them. Maybe they should have said 'Honkey' instead of 'Brit'. That's a really intelligent radio station you listen to...

The word 'Brit' would be racist maybe if to be a "Brit' you had to be white. Don't you consider non-whites to be 'Brits', if they were born in 'Britain'?

It's like trying to justify calling a disabled person a 'spastic'. It would be OK between friends, but you wouldn't go around calling all disabled people 'spastic'. It's a genuine word but it becomes derogatory when used wrong.

Words are just words, but words have caused more hate and war than anything else, and to think it's OK to just throw derogatory words around is ignorant. It really shows that you don't like having to suppress your true feelings of, or understand, people of other nations or races...

One of the problems is the ignorance, by whites, of why Blacks use the N word with each other, why gays call each other queers, or in this case Pakistanis using the term 'Paki' with each other.
It's a way of taking a negative word, used against them, and turning it around to make it a positive term. If a white person calls a black guy the 'N word' he is distancing himself from that race in a negative way, if a black calls a black the 'N-word' then it's a sign of racial solidarity between two people of the same race.

(note the 'N word' is a bit more complicated than that as it was originally a common African term used to mean 'Buddy' or friend, but used in a negative context by the slave traders. There is nothing wrong with blacks reclaiming this term).

It's all in the context, and only offends you when races use negative terms with each other because of the negative context your history created. Harry should be calling his friends 'rich white inbred scum' and he wouldn't offend anyone.

[edit on 1/12/2009 by ANOK]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Extremely well said.

Although those who wish to use this word or find it unoffensive will not be swayed by logic or reason.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
MLKJ

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
The ones who are offended by this are the true racists, why?

Because when I hear “Paki” I think of it as a Nationality. When the people here who are offended hear “Paki” they think of it as race.

Mikey

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Someones said this a second ago...

Pfft, are you serious? You think you can claim him to be a racist because he impersonated an SS trooper at a dress up party?

...............Um, yeah? I dressed up as a lil football player for halloween when I was younger BECAUSE I LIKED FOOTBALL. Dressing like a Nazi is in extremely poor taste and if you like to play dress up with Hitler-esque clothing and call people "ragheads" yes you are racist.

Don't get me wrong, I like abrasive jokes, I like jokes that push the boundries, I like making statements.... but I recognize there is a line.. like I'm not going to call my black buddy "cotton pickin coon" even jokingly.

I don't care if you have a microscope on you, racist is still racist.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by ImaNutter]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by problemsolvr
With power there is responsibility

And with spidey powers come great responsibility

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaNutter

...............Um, yeah? I dressed up as a lil football player for halloween when I was younger BECAUSE I LIKED FOOTBALL. Dressing like a Nazi is in extremely poor taste and if you like to play dress up with Hitler-esque clothing and call people "ragheads" yes you are racist.

Oh, you were one of “those” kids.... I never understood people who dressed up as things like footballers for Halloween..... You are supposed to dress up as something scary.

I used to dress up as Freddy – you know the guy who used to kill kids in their dreams. Doesn’t mean I’m a child killer though does it?

Mikey

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mikey84
Oh, you were one of “those” kids.... I never understood people who dressed up as things like footballers for Halloween..... You are supposed to dress up as something scary.

I used to dress up as Freddy – you know the guy who used to kill kids in their dreams. Doesn’t mean I’m a child killer though does it?

Mikey

Freddy is fiction and a film... not reality.
Unfortunately... the same cannot be said about Nazis.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Originally posted by Mikey84

Mikey

Freddy is fiction and a film... not reality.
Unfortunately... the same cannot be said about Nazis.

It's the same point, I had friends who used to go as Jack the ripper. To date they still havent killed anyone.

At a costume party people come in guess what? Costumes! Both evil and benign. I mean by the same argument you are saying that children who dress as witches support witchcraft.

Mikey

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Is calling someone Lofty or Shorty sizism?
Is calling someone Ginger hairism?
Is calling anyone by their country of origin an 'ism?

calling someone a yank is always meant as a friendly gesture (regardless of colour).

The camera shows someone talking about his friend. If they had names for each other that have a derogatory meaning to the Society as a whole who's business is it.

Someone asked if no white British still British.
Seems to me that if you say paki your applying it to 1 race but as far as I know white, black, yellow and even red people have been born on the Indian sub continent. As Pakistan was a part of India until recently, so there is no race call Pakistani they are part of a multi-race of people.

Worked on a ship with 3 coloured guys once, Franny was just a totally ordinary guy, Huggy - because he acted like the original huggy bear out of S&H, great fun always dancing and having fun. Then the 3rd was a racist, if you treated him normal you were ignoring his black culture, treated him nicely it was because he was black, treat him like you're pissed off with him and his stinking attitude and you'd be reported. He once accused me of being a racist because I sat down opposite him in the mess and said hello to him and not to the guys on either side of us. Real chip on his shoulder.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikey84

I was a wee little guy, leave me alone haha That was one that came to mind. Perhaps my comparison and contrast wasn't as good as I thought... each situation is different dude. Freddie, movie and it is fake but scary, that's a good one. You picked it because of the movie and the scariness. Now Jack The Ripper...that is something that's almost been romanticized. A faceless killer. No one knew who he was, so it turned into almost a legend or a myth (how did your friends know how to dress anyway?). I could understand how one would want to try that one.

But Nazi?? Cmon man. There was nothing romantic, mythical, legendary about the Nazis. The only thing they've got to hang their hat on is unbelievably killing a whole of Jews and being white supremacists. There's always a line and IMHO I think he crossed it. That's really poor taste and I believe speaks of his character. Whereas going as Freddie/JTR makes you creative...going as a Nazi is NOT creative..

I guess I am having a hard time putting my thought process into words but hopefully you get what I'm saying.

Let's not forget he also used racial slurs like "raghead" .. I said it before.. I don't tell my black friends / dark complected friends they look like a "cotton pickin coon" because I wouldn't dare disrespect someone like that.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
How can anyone make excuses for this guy?

Who the hell in this world, who has ANY consideration for others feelings, would even consider dressing up as a nazi?

Maybe if it was a comical nazi, taking the piss so to speak, yeah understood but c'mon he of all people should know better.

Complete with Swastika armband...

And matching friend...

So risqué...hahaha idiots!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join