It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prince Harry apologises for racial slur

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Operation AJAX

The British Empire invited people of Pakistani descent to work our textile mills (mostly Kashmiris) as it was considered cheap labour. Then they settled in the British Isles. Fact or fiction?

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

In case you missed it on the previous page, I asked to get back to the topic. This isn't about a history lesson.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I think Harry apologizing is pointless as i said before.
This "joke" His "nazi" thing... both three years ago... maybe he has learned his lesson... you would hope so huh?

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

Please stay on topic. If you wish to discuss the various history of India, Pakistan, and the turmoil that lead to its founding my all means start a thread

Otherwise please stay ON topic

[edit on 1/11/09 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Lot of anti Harry sentiment here which is surprising.

As much as I totally dislike the royal family, this is a real non story. I have a Chinese friend I call rice boy. Me and my nephew argue about which of us has the bigger Jew nose. Racial slurs between friends in jest is just something the folks in the media have trouble understanding.

I don't believe he should get in trouble for acting normally just because he's an elitist.

Edit to add: The guy in question is totally nonplussed about the media feeding frenzy. Nobody from a racial group has complained about the matter. The fact is that the only people who care are: The white media, and the very white human rights watch.

[edit on 11-1-2009 by Lazyninja]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazyninja

I must agree, I have a German friend at school....oh the taunts..

German
Nazi
Hitlers son

Just three quick names I could role out, and of course I get it back with his English remarks...it's all friendly stuff...

People are just too PC and you can't even talk to your friends without being judged...

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
It’s only a racist slur if it was said in that way, otherwise he is calling a spade a spade.

Australian is an Aussie
New Zealander is a Kiwi
American is a Yank
Pakistani is a Paki

And Harry is a Ginger Nut!

Seriously, it’s just Political Correctness gone mad. It’s clear he was talking and joking with mates and the thing that really shows it that it was not offensive is the fact that the guy he called a Paki has not complained!

The only people complaining seem to be the media and the PC prunes!

Mikey

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikey84

The Paki has not complained? Guess why? He knows he's a Paki. Just like Brit knows he's a Brit. Bangladeshi knows he's from Bangladesh. If these yankees were from the Yookay, then they would understand.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Artista
As long as it's not used in a vulgar or malicious way, one persons "racial slur" is another persons descriptive term.

This constant monitoring of every single word people use in everyday language is getting to be dangerous and the more people continue to point out what they believe are "slurs," the less chance we have to express oursleves, in any way.

Just because someone may say something others may find offensive doesn't mean it's purpose was to be offensive - or to offend.
[edit on 11-1-2009 by Artista]

Amen to that.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Knowing that some people will be offended by words you use is part of Harry's job in life. He's NOT just another working-class guy joking around with his friends. He's getting paid very, very well to represent the Royal Family and by extension all that's noble in the British tradition.

He fell down on the job.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
When this first broke i did find this word offensive and did notice that the soldier in question was singled out by Harry for a comment albeit a rather “dark” comment.
Although no comment from the soldier himself his father is reported to be insulted by the remark and to be honest I don’t blame him.
I understand locker room banter might be at play, but when the word paki is used in this context care must be taken to not bully. Harry needs to grow up.

Prince Harry 'Paki' row: Father of Pakistani officer 'profoundly condemns' the Prince

As it emerged that Prince Harry was facing disciplinary action over his comments, Lt Ahmed Raza Khan's father, Mohammad Yaqoob Khan Abassi, told The Daily Telegraph he had been left hurt and angry.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I just heard the father of the Pakistani officer at Sandhurst that Harry called a 'Paki' on BBC 5 Live. He says that Harry's apology is not good enough and that he would expect a £1,000,000 officer's education would have taught him something.

Other scandals also happened while Harry was in secondary school with people around him suffering the consequences;

www.independent.co.uk...

[edit on 063131p://pm3153 by masonwatcher]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by masonwatcher

she was on my degree course for Fine Art and was an amazing sculptor.

She should not have secretly taped any conversation, that is wrong..

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ladysharrowandherbarrow

I don't know why anyone would tape a conversation out of the blue, but I know Chief Constable Ian Blair taped conversations when ministers gave dodgy instructions or was it his predecessor.

The teacher said in her tribunal that she was forced to do Harry's assignment on his behalf. This probably offended her sensibilities, after all you said that she is a fantastic sculptor, and caused her to over react. Many people are outraged by corruption and take action. Taping the commissioning of a misdeed is not immoral or illegal.

Personally I wouldn't have; you never know what bug-eyed royalist sycophants would do.

www.independent.co.uk...

[edit on 073131p://pm3115 by masonwatcher]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I see it took 2 Moderator ' Bullies' to tell a member to stay on topic , you guys should really communicate more!! makes you look stupid and power hungry.

a Paki is from pakistan , funny enough and why should there be anything wrong with that? the world is going dam crazy tbh

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mindsmog
a Paki is from pakistan , funny enough and why should there be anything wrong with that?

It's a derogatory term, same as calling the Japanese 'Japs'.

It's not the word itself, it's the context the word has been used in and associated with.

I grew up in the UK during the 60's and 70's and the word 'Paki' was not ever used in a friendly context, it was always used as a derogatory term for anyone from Pakistan or India.

And again it's not the word itself, it's the person who used this word and historical context of the word, and all the history of British meddling in the affairs of the "British India".

Regardless of whether you think it's no big deal, it's just a word, it is a big deal to some people and someone like harry should know that.

Edit to add:

The abbreviation Paki acquired offensive connotations in the 1960s when used by British tabloids to refer to subjects of former colony states in a derogatory and racist manner. In modern British usage "Paki" is typically used in a derogatory way as a label for all South Asians, including Indians, Afghans and Bangladeshis. To a lesser extent, the term has been applied as a racial slur towards Arabs and other Middle Eastern-looking groups who may resemble South Asians. During the 60's many emigrants were also dubbed as "black" to further segregrate them from the white community. Some would say such a division still exists in parts of England.

In recent times there has been a trend by second and third-generation British Pakistanis to reclaim the word. The word has been turned into a keepsake for the young British Pakistani community that is not acceptable for someone outside the community to say it, including Indians and Bangladeshis. (same as the word 'n-word' in the US...anok)

en.wiktionary.org...

[edit on 1/12/2009 by ANOK]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Everyone has an opinion, and mine is that anyone of you could be correct...even those of you who sound farfetched...

Unfortunately, we are all speculating...none of us know the truth even though we may think we do... I don't particularly care if Harry did say a racial term against Arabs/Pakis because there is a lot of hatred for the general lot of them terrorists!

And no, I am not saying all of them are terrorists, my aunt and uncle live in the Middle east...its just hard not to group them as a general mass...it makes for a better vent of anger!

After the attacks in India, the US, England, etc...there is not much love for Muslims...

Actually, for that matter, who knows to what extent the US has set people up to fight against each other...or Great Britain's tactics internationally... We'll never know the truth unless we are amidst its hiding... There has to be some reason why those people hate the US...right? We know so little...I hate to come up with conspiracy theories...

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
The issue has been blown way out of proportion. It's not like he was establishing a declaration of hate. He is not perfect and makes mistakes like everyone else in the world. Does every single breath he takes, every joke and every action this young man takes have to be so heavily scrutinised?

The paparazzi are scum. They spend every waking moment of their lives stalking and terrorising their objects, waiting for any slip or mistake and capatalising on it in quick succession.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
If you are in his position you should know better.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
With power there is responsibility

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join