It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prince Harry apologises for racial slur

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I think the thing is we want to have our royals, yes even those in the Commonwealth still have an affinity to the mother country, display class. We haven't had it since the Queen Mom. Phillip is a joke, Elizabeth is crusty. Charles? Don't even want to go there. We're hoping for more from this generation.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Oh please.......... give up on Harrys comments.

If you live in in Brtitain and you are from here, then a Pakistani is universally referred to as a Paki, by the English and by everyone. I know lots of of Paki's and they are proud of their historicall name. A Pakistani is a Paki the Jewish are a Jew.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufoorbhunter
Oh please.......... give up on Harrys comments.

If you live in in Brtitain and you are from here, then a Pakistani is universally referred to as a Paki, by the English and by everyone. I know lots of of Paki's and they are proud of their historicall name. A Pakistani is a Paki the Jewish are a Jew.

You clearly have no clue.

It is as acceptable as the N-word...

And although similar to the N-word... a younger generation of Pakistani's were/are trying to reclaim the word, it is still highly offensive if used "outside" the group.

[edit on 11/1/09 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Where are you from? Paki is a Paki pure and simple. English is an English. German is a German. Indian is an Indian. Nationality?

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
You clearly have no clue.

It is as acceptable as the N-word...

Yes I agree the term is insulting to people and not just a
abreviation like 'Brit' from Britain.
The tone inflection behind the comment is also a factor.

That said I think the British media are being a little hysterical and trying to stir things up.

Perhaps they could do a report on why the term 'Kuffar' should be as
equaly unacceptable in a modern day society.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

Yes, to somebody who is ignorant or cares not about offense.
If you use "paki"... it is because of your ignorance, nothing else.

en.wiktionary.org...

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Charles? Don't even want to go there. We're hoping for more from this generation.

Not that it realy matters but Prince Charles is a muslim isn't he?
www.danielpipes.org...

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

i am as anti royal as you can get, since i think they are a waste of money
and frankly they seem to hit the headlines if they even Fart, even Diana is still hitting the headlines over 10 years after her death,

anyone that walks in the streets will hear pakistani teens callings each other pakis in most areas,

[edit on 11-1-2009 by bodrul]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

A Paki is a Pakistani. That's what we natives call them here in the UK......Paki's. Colonials invited over here as cheap labour to work our textile plants.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

reply to post by karl 12

A Paki is a Pakistani. That's what we natives call them here in the UK......Paki's. Colonials invited over here as cheap labour to work our textile plants.

No we don't...

Only ignorant, "England is for the whites" kind of people do.
please do not speak for us "natives".

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Come on Bludpup, what do you want me tom call the Paki's? Afghanis? Kurds? Eskimos? Magyar? Scots with no kilts? A Paki is a Paki like a a Scot is a Scot.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

reply to post by karl 12

No we don't...

Only ignorant, "England is for the whites" kind of people do.
please do not speak for us "natives".

Yes,I was born in the UK but don't use the term either as it has derogatory connotations.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Engish is English? Scot is a Scot? Paki is a Paki?

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

Are you referring to people of a Pakistani descent... or just anyone who is indian,pakistani,bangladeshi?
My point is, when you say things like "they were cheap labour" (not arguing history, but i don't like your tone") then i fear for what you are really implying.

. A Pakistani is a Paki the Jewish are a Jew.

One is a geographical reference, one is a religious/race reference.
there is no place called Jew,Jewish or anything with the term jew in it.

Come on Bludpup, what do you want me tom call the Paki's? Afghanis? Kurds? Eskimos? Magyar? Scots with no kilts? A Paki is a Paki like a a Scot is a Scot.

Just call them their appropriate name.. A pakistani.. you are fully aware of the connotations and undertones synonymous with the word you use...
Do not play stupid with me.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I must agree, I'm English, I live in Northamptonshire, a quite diverse place....nobody uses the word 'Paki' in good taste.

People only use that word to be derogatory or in racist jokes....not as an actual name, it is Pakistani. It's a Pakistani man, not a Paki... I don't know where abouts in the UK you come from, but its different here.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

ufoorbhunter is fully aware of that too.
Not really sure of the reasons for his/her ignorance?

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I like this type of flimsy rationale racist types like this one likes to give. Its a bit of a strawman

That's what we natives call them here in the UK......Paki's. Colonials invited over here as cheap labour to work our textile plants.

If the post above left any doubt that you are using racially derogatory terms than the reference as cheap labor AND 'Colonials" certainly show us that we can expect more fo the this type of bigoted rhetoric from you. I get that its hard to do all that thinking....... All that smoke must keep setting off the smoke detector, so its much easier to put out those strawmans :shk: We will move on as we do when confronted with such gross ignorance and hey you dont even need 144

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Operation AJAX

My points exactly.

I said the same in my post a couple up.

We are not as stupid as ufoorbhunter would like us to be

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
OK guys, we've determined that most find the term offensive. Let's get back to the topic please.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

A Paki is a Paki, an Indian is an Indian, a Babangladeshi is just that. Point being don't spin it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join