It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prince Harry apologises for racial slur

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Pfeil

The word "paki" in Britain is the equivalent in ethnic slurs to "'n-word'" and was popularised by the fascisty National Front in the 1970s, usually along the lines of "go home paki" or "paki lover". It is used to refer to anyone of Indian, Pakistani or Bangladeshi origin, usually to those whose family is of relatively recent of immigration to the UK.

It's in a whole different league to the less offensive "Froggie".

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
As long as it's not used in a vulgar or malicious way, one persons "racial slur" is another persons descriptive term.

True story:

Two years ago on New Year's Eve, I was out with a bunch of friends, which included some very good friends who are male. Of these male friends, three were just about the same height. weight, age and build. Two of the three wore blue shirts, jeans and each had a gold watch on his right wrist. They both also had dark brown hair, worn in a similar style.

One of my friends (who is female) appraoched me and nodding in the direction of the guys across the room asked:

"Whose your friend?"

Me: Which one?
She: The guy in the blue shirt.
Me: Which guy? There are two wearing blue shirts.
She: Oh yeah...well...the one with the dark hair.
Me: Did you notice there are two guys will blue shirts and both of them have dark hair? Which one are you talking about - Tony or Mark?
She: I don't know which is which, that's why I'm asking you!
Me: Well...Mark is the Italian and Tony is the Mexican.
She: Ah...the Mexican... .

If one had been Pakistani, I might have said "Paki."

It doesn't matter really since she ended up marrying "the Mexican" anyway.

Granted, my friends are not Royals, but c'mon...not everything someone says should be monitored for "hate speech." Just because someone says one thing doesn't mean they meant it in the context of something else - in other words, just because Prince Harry may have used the term "Paki" doesn't mean he meant it to be malicious, no matter how much other people may want to believe that he did.

This constant monitoring of every single word people use in everyday language is getting to be dangerous and the more people continue to point out what they believe are "slurs," the less chance we have to express oursleves, in any way.

Just because someone may say something others may find offensive doesn't mean it's purpose was to be offensive - or to offend.

[edit on 11-1-2009 by Artista]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by geek101
This kind of stuff shows me that the upper class are living in their own world, where generally they don't give a toss about anyone "beneath them"

[edit on 10-1-2009 by geek101]

Whilst otherwise I agree with your post, to me this is the mark of a wryly sarcastic and humourous mind. And I'm poor.

I watched the News of the World video (NotW? Classy!) and found nothing there that should offend anyone.

Everyone gets pet names by their mates. If you've got brown skin, Paki or more recently, Terrorist (as my Muslim friends get now) is a staple. In return, I get "fat bastard" or something of the like. Why? Because good-natured ribbing helps bond people together, it gives them something to laugh about, and most people don't have emotions made of freaking glass that shatters at the drop of a joke and reduces them to the sort of tears that a pre-pubescent girl would be embarrassed about.

And you liberal lefty Nazis who are constantly trying to make Orwell's prophecy regarding the people policing themselves can **** right off, go and do something where you won't annoy the maximum amount of people with the minimum amount of fuss. There is no issue here, you are just desperate to create one, you so-far-left-i'm-right fascist.

Let people have their free speech, ffs.

Rant over!

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
This just isn't a news story is it? The only possible way that this can cause offence to anyone is if a newspaper takes it, publicises it, and runs the story under a flag of political correctness.

As it is, the insidiously right wing campaign run by the tabloid press in the UK is of far more potential damage to race relations than what this ginger twerp might or might not say.

LW

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by The Last Man on Earth

i was talking more of the link i supplied than i was Prince Harry. My own kids are half pakistani and among their friends, "Paki" is not an offensive term.
I was trying to say generally that these people don't appear to have the same sensitivities that the rest of us have. The other week i read of some mayor on a trip to some school, was being introduced to some students and asked a black kid...."which tribe are you from then?"

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I’m actually kind of glad I took the time to watch that video. It was a giggle. At least now we know that Harry has a sense of humor. And ginger pubes.

--------------------------------------------------

As to the PC BS, it’s just that. If that’s the worst he heard or said while in the military I’d be astounded.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
As much as I dislike royalty, peroid, calling someone Paki is par for the course for most teenagers in UK. Although some will find it offensive, typically it is not used as a negative term, but then again, it is fundamentally a derogative term, wether you are offended or not.
What it does show on one hand, is that the Prince is 'one of the boys', and has aquired the typical insensitivity and callous disregard of your average British teen. Not what you would expect from someone whom is educated and brought up within a familly that is expected at all times to uphold good values and morality.
On the other hand, as a poster already mentioned, if this was Barry from Hull, no one would bat an eyelid at the video.
Typically, 'Paki' would be a term used for anyone that looked like they were from or desended from anyone from the Indian sub-continent. I had friends from India, Bangladesh and Pakistan that were all called 'Paki'. Much the same that anyone from the middle east, wether Turkey to Arabia would come under the term 'rag head'. Of course, you could be a Paki or a rag head, and be born in the U.K. - it is purely based on appearance. Usually racial terms such as Paki and darkie are usually acceptable within the working class, and typically frowned upon within the middle classes, but makes an acceptable appearance again within the uppper-classes.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Typically, 'Paki' would be a term used for anyone that looked like they were from or desended from anyone from the Indian sub-continent. I had friends from India, Bangladesh and Pakistan that were all called 'Paki'. Much the same that anyone from the middle east, wether Turkey to Arabia would come under the term 'rag head'. Of course, you could be a Paki or a rag head, and be born in the U.K. - it is purely based on appearance. Usually racial terms such as Paki and darkie are usually acceptable within the working class, and typically frowned upon within the middle classes, but makes an acceptable appearance again within the uppper-classes.

I'm quite surprised and appalled at how many people think it's acceptable to call people from the Indian subcontinent Pakis! I remember hearing the teasing chants such as the following in primary school and football matches:

"There 'aint no black in the Union Jack
So send that Paki back"

etc. How would Americans feel if Obama was filmed using the term 'crackers' or 'whiteys'? Would he take offence at being called a 'darkie' or someone dropping the N bomb? Couple this with the nazi costume blunder and it creates a rather nasty picture. Rich, racist scum... pure and simple.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Watched the video, read some background info.

My opinions:

1. Harry exists as a royal simply because his job is to swan around doing things perfectly. You wouldn't catch the Queen messing up like this. If he messes up, he is failing his job. This was a bungle from a PR point of view; nothing really major. The nazi armband fiasco was major, this isnt so much so.

2. Harry seems to be just using Paki as an informal abbreviation. BBC is reporting that the cadet he referred to was a visiting student from Pakistan. Calling a Pakistani a Paki is hardly offensive... in fact most refer to themselves as Paki... no big deal since Paki means "pure" in Urdu... hardly a slur. Calling an Indian (like me) a Paki is slightly distasteful as it shows a basic lack of interest in the other person's existence (kinda like saying "oh well its all the same"). It would be like a white British person going overseas and being called French or "frog" or something similar. It isnt a major issue, but it is annoying.

The use of "rag head" is somewhat worse Im afraid. All it shows that almost everyone is racist to some degree or the other.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
- His (alleged) daddy and his grandpa are always saying un-pc things.
So he's taking after his royal heritage very well.

- He'll never be king and he knows it so he's cutting loose and being
himself. Like him or hate him .. what you see is what you get.

- I STILL like him better than P. Charles.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I don’t get why people are so offended, maybe they need to get out more.

I mean he called someone from Pakistan a Paki, the same way you call someone from Australia an Aussie or someone from America a Yank or someone from New Zealand a Kiwi.... and so on.

He called someone who wears a rag on their head a “rag head”, he’s just calling a spade a spade.

Build a bridge and get over it!

Mikey

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I'm not sure I wanted to know Harry has ginger pubes.

At least they were not displayed in the video ...

Seems to me he's doing just fine fitting in with his platoon. You can't expect him to be too proper in that setting as he's not going to want to stand out as being too different.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I don’t see the big deal the guy was just goofing off with his buddies.
Tell me what guy in the military doesn’t?
I would hardly call this a scandal.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
People have gone WAY overboard with this "political correctness" garbage! Let's not be sooooo sensitive, ok? There is nothing wrong with what he said. Call an ace, an ace and a spade, a spade!

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchZEITGEISTnow
My take on Harry:

He isn't Charles's son...pretty obvious don't you all think? I have always thought he'd be offed in some sacrificial manner... eg Diana.

I think the spin on Harry is to shed him in some dark light so if he ever does have an 'accident', people will be less sympathetic of his death. Keep an eye on Harry, I have some hope in this guy breaking the royal hold on most things Illuminati.

Just remember folks: anything the MSM reports, it is suspect. And anything they don't report is where you want to be looking.

wZn

Harry isn't Charles' son?

Next you'll be telling me Prince Andrew is HIV positive...

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
While i don't condone the words he used we do have to remember that this was 3 years ago and not really recent at all, And for a man of his age i'm sure and hope that he has grown up alot since then, He has been to war and I'm sure that has made in mature,

I guess all young ones make mistakes and say things they should not,

But again my issue here is that this was like 3 years ago,

[edit on 11-1-2009 by asala]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala

But again my issue here is that this was like 3 years ago,

[edit on 11-1-2009 by asala]

Although i agree that this is old news... and really should have been dealt with then, I still see it as no excuse for his behaviour.

He was 20 when he said this, not a little kid who knew no better... and being in his position... he certainly should have known better.
This coupled with the whole "nazi" uniform thing from...3 years ago... really doesn't paint a good picture.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by geek101
i don't trust the News of the World as far as i can throw them, and there is something suspect about this. For a start, when he is on the phone, he clearly is NOT talking to the Queen, it sounds like he is having a laugh ("God save you, yeah"..?)
[edit on 10-1-2009 by geek101]

You're having a laugh, right?

That was the point of his mock phone call.. And the send my love to the corgis, etc.. Blimey... No wonder people get so knickerknotted over nothing...

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by resistor
I’m actually kind of glad I took the time to watch that video. It was a giggle. At least now we know that Harry has a sense of humor. And ginger pubes.

Haha, me too.. not that I still give him any more credit that anyone else serving, but he did seem pretty down to earth.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

I thought it sounded casual as well,

MY little Paki friend, the tone of his voice was not angry or hateful.

I kinda like harry, he seems down to earth, but then I really don't know.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join