It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teenager dies after being tased by Martinsville Police

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Teenager dies after being tased by Martinsville Police

www.wsls.com

State Police are investigating the death of a 17-year-old after Martinsville Police used a stun device on a teenager Thursday night.

It happened at 307 Rives Road. When 10 On Your side came to the apartment on Friday afternoon, the door was already open, but nobody was inside.

What appears empty now, was swarming with police and investigators Thursday night.

Justin Gregory, 15, says his friend, 17-year-old Derick, died after a Martinsville officer used a taser on him. Gregory told us ...
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1/10/2009 by SonicInfinity]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
What right did the police have to just taser the kid? People get drunk all the time and do stupid things, but that doesn't mean they deserve death for it. I doubt that any charges will be brought up against the police officer since he was just "doing his job," but it's a shame when they decide to do the easy thing instead of the right thing.

www.wsls.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1/10/2009 by SonicInfinity]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Seems the police can't put a foot right lately. At least this time they didn't shoot the kid with a gun.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
this is what is jacked up.... Did this boy have epilepsy????

I have bad epilepsy and it is possible that a taser can kill me.

www.wingcomltd.com...
The taser is an electro-shock device used on Williams, 31, as an alternative to guns or pepper spray. It disables the motor nerve system. In a victim with epilepsy, being tasered can result in death. According to Amnesty International, tasers are at best an unknown danger and at worst, killers.

let say for example that I happen to be defending myself in a fight and a cop comes up behind me and tasers me to stop the issue..... (bam...Dead!)

how are they suppose to know?

[edit on 10-1-2009 by TrainDispatcher]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
wow what an absolute tragedy!

Cops are killing people all over the place now, this kid was only 17!!!

This cannot be accepted or it will become the norm.

Cops should not be using Tasers at every call.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I`m sure there isn`t a single poster here who hasn't done something stupid when they were kids .
My police force are in the process of procuring Tasers - i hope the government blocks it.

But its a pop-gun compared the the recently developed Active Denial System . Hope that never sees action.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
An other one again.
It looks like there is a constant stream of people beeing killed by these "Non-Lethal Weapons"
I hope they never start using them in my country.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
The report said the kid "moved rapidly toward Officer Wray in an offensive stance."
What the hell is that all about? It seems that the interpretation of when an officer feels threatened is a very subjective thing. When an officer calls you to come over, what is the correct speed to do so before you are considered non compliant by going too slow, or aggressive for going too fast?
Why does a taser become so necessary?
My solution? Fit every cop with a hat cam or forehead cam that will record everything he is looking at so that every action and decision of his will be open to scrutiny.
Sure, it sounds radical, but its either that or take away their lethal weapons since it appears they aren't able to handle them responsibly.
How is it that the police can just enter a private residence anyway without some kind of warrant?

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
A devastating Tesla weapon not to be taken lightly.
A good thing the FBI listened to the Tesla birthday announcements
and learned he beamed power to the Moon and Mars.
The beam was so tiny but may have made a puff of dirt.
Imagine, it would go right through you and not see it, like
the Beatles song.

ED: South Park: "Its coming at me. Fire"

[edit on 1/10/2009 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Definately another case to watch closely and see how the courts decide. I think the idea of the badge-cam is a good idea. Electronics are small enough now that it would be possible.

The question would be then...will they do it. Perhaps with enough public demand, they will have no choice. Too much unecessary use of force lately with the cops.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

"My solution? Fit every cop with a hat cam or forehead cam that will record everything he is looking at so that every action and decision of his will be open to scrutiny.
Sure, it sounds radical, but its either that or take away their lethal weapons since it appears they aren't able to handle them responsibly."

It's not radical at all. It's simply demanding accountability from those that are supposed to be "enforcing" the law.

What's radical is the uncounted events where police are killing and maining civilians and yet their has been no movement by government to address this issue. Why is that? Why is it that cops can assault or kill civilians or prisoners and the video from the car-cameras and jail-cameras simply goes missing -- and no one is prosecuted?

I think we instinctinctively know that something is rotten in Demark. The government is failing to curtail criminal activities by their enforcement agents. The government itself is involved in more criminal activity than you can shake a stick at.

The question is -- have you had enough of this BS yet?

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Huh? Are we no longer training our police officers for self defense/physical combat? If the "assailant" has no weapon, I think physical combat techniques would suffice.

Why so quick to draw any sort of weapon on the unarmed?

ETA:
And what's with the media saying things like "17 year old male juvenile"... wouldn't "17 year old male" be enough? Do they add the word "juvenile" because that word is linked in our minds with "delinquent"?

[edit on 1/10/2009 by eMachine]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Yeah well we all die don't we.
What are you going to do magic yourself back to life?
I have had more people die than you can count, im starting to think its a good thing really.
Its just life.
You might be next, maybe me.
Who cares.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
the police as a whole in that area are shaken due to it making the news... he mustve known someone high up.. but it wont stop them from using the teasers martinsville and danville have became violate in the past months they had marshall law not to long ago im surpised the pig(evil) didnt pump him with lead.. a teaser has a trigger just like a gun to me they are the same thing

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truth Financial Network
wow what an absolute tragedy!

Cops are killing people all over the place now, this kid was only 17!!!

This cannot be accepted or it will become the norm.

Cops should not be using Tasers at every call.

precisly,thier out of control but nothing will be done about it,its clear tasers should not be classified as non lethal weapons as they cleary are.
the protocol which applies to lethal weapons such as guns should apply to tasers,you must only use them if your or others life is in immediate danger.
it wont happen of course,the police are mostly ais now.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus
I`m sure there isn`t a single poster here who hasn't done something stupid when they were kids .

So True!! so true! We all have done something stupid when we where kids.. Every last one of us.. No doubt!

But the difference between some of us is this..
I never got caught.

Now to the topic at hand..
Man.. what a shame.. Death by taser. These cops need to be better trained IMO. They throw these emotional dudes out in public and expect them to act like honorable officers of the law.
When infact.. They are like you and me.. And they can get away with alot of stuff.. So after you start getting away with crime after crime.. You start to lose sight of whats right..
Then you get what you have here. Poor handling of the situation.
I mean come on its a drunken kid.. Hog tie them up, and stuff a sock in their mouth.. What ever.. Its not so hard for grown men to subdue a drunken person.. No they let the situation take control of them..
Hopefully more cops are trained better..

But hey these cops don't make jack for money.. And you get what you pay for.. Sadly enough.. thats no excuse.. But you honestly get what you pay for..

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Can't think of any situation where guns were needed by the police.

They have been shot first in most situations.

Its an Illuminati money maker, same with the taser.
And won't go away at any time in the future.

Now if things could be put to a vote.

Then Blumberg would nullify the law.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by BorgHoffen

Yeah well we all die don't we.

Yep we do, but hey on your way out take a couple of these clowns with you , may as well have some company, we all gotta die of something!

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
Can't think of any situation where guns were needed by the police.

They have been shot first in most situations.

Its an Illuminati money maker, same with the taser.
And won't go away at any time in the future.

Now if things could be put to a vote.

Then Blumberg would nullify the law.
I think this is the first post from you that I didn't see the word "Tesla" in it.

OP: I didn't think a taser could kill? Did the kid have some kind of condition like epilepsy that was already questioned in this thread?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join