It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS ladies phenomenon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
*hesitant cough to draw attention*

So I've been a thinkin ... the clean thoughts of a happily married man.

I am so impressed with the females of the species on the ATS/BTS.

I'm impressed with the intellect, humor, spirituality, reason, kindness, contributions, inner beauty, and yes, even the prettiness of all our gals.

You seem to be better able (for the most part) to stay above the nitpicking, flaming, and general unpleasantness that sometimes pervades our forums.

There are just too many of you to name individually. I know most of you through the FCP, DATS, BTS and so many of you are the members I respect the most and are my "friends."

I hope you do not take these comments as the patronizing observations of a male. It is the farthest thing from my heart. I just simply wanted to take the time to note your contributions and to basically say thank you.

I also wanted to note how, from a man's point of view, your relationships with each other seem to manifest atypically from what I have observed in real life. That is to say, in my experience, even the best friendships I have observed between women are always to some extent affected by the natural dynamics of competition, passive aggressiveness, etc.

Perhaps it is because of the very nature of ATS that it provides a "clean slate" platform upon which such natural and personal dynamics are rendered unnecessary. I would be interested to get your thoughts on this last point.

Either way, a big friendly smooch and a big thanks to the lot of you.

*tiptoes out of the room*

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Schmoozing for a DATS fan club, eh?
I second your sentiment though.

Sadly, I'm prejudiced that most women are shallow, unintelligent, or materialistic - that seems to be in line with the 'ideals' that society promulgates, and real-life doesn't contradict that depressing assumption near often enough.

So I'm very thankful to the keen minds of all the women at ATS for giving a more positive perspective.

Plus, your avatars are hot.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
....blushes....

Aw SD, you know you are one of our BTS faves! Remember the night we met? Well, I don't
but you still have the scars to remind you.

You are a sweetheart, always have the nicest things to say and you've been away from DATS too long.

Rush

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

S-dog..you are sweeter than sugar pie. We LOVE to be appreciated. Especially when we can hold our own on a site that is totally male dominated.

Your question:

I also wanted to note how, from a man's point of view, your relationships with each other seem to manifest atypically from what I have observed in real life. That is to say, in my experience, even the best friendships I have observed between women are always to some extent affected by the natural dynamics of competition, passive aggressiveness, etc.

You hit the nail on the head.
I associate with very few females in RL. Even then, the relationship is at arm's length.I have always been that way. I just naturally prefer to kick back with a bunch of guys over a case of beer. That doesn't mean I don't have my "Mall" days. I guess I can just wear both hats.
As far as the other women of ATS, we're just cool cause I think we all feel the same way about the site and each other. Yeah, there is a few here that rub me the wrong way.
Geez, I guess there is such a mutual respect from us all FOR us all.
Does that make sense?
We aren't afraid to grab the pants off the guys and wear them ourselves.
(Figuratively speaking, of course!)

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
JenSouth come back

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
JenSouth come back :cry

Agreed. Jenny girl, where are you????

[edit on 10-1-2009 by AccessDenied]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
s.dog you bring the smile back on my face again!
you are a really sweet guy!

you know how much i appriciate you.

for real life:
you are right some of the relationships to other women are like competion, not really caring and trying to be more sexy beautiful or what ever - none thinks that smarter could also be part of it.

they even tell me, i should try to reduce intellect coz men might be afraid of it.

so i fell quiet happy among men who are not afraid of a woman with a brain, and among girls who don.t need to compete, who care for each other and who are most times a better relationsship than real life girls

so thanks for the friendship guys and girls

[edit on 10-1-2009 by orange-light]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by orange-light

Ah yes..Orange. You bring up a great point.
"Dumbed down women are NOT..I REPEAT, NOT attractive."

Ladies, if a guy doesn't appreciate your brain as much as your boobs, KICK him to the curb.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
i don.t mind the "admiring body parts" part but i want to think while being admired

so this can.t ever be an option! NEVER

nobody would expect this from a guy

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

some more than others - no doubt :-)

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Ladies, if a guy doesn't appreciate your brain as much as your boobs, KICK him to the curb.

Words to Live By.... Do they have that on a bumper sticker yet?

Sdog

I would call you a sweetie but everyone already has, and hearing it once more might give you a complex or something.

Instead: SDog you're like honey - Smooth talking the ladies

You know, for the longest time I didn't want anyone knowing whether or not I was a girl. I wanted to be extremely anonymous. I credit Givenmay and AD for actually pulling me out of my shell (unbeknowest to them of course) because I saw how well they were treated around the boards and that being a girl didn't make a difference.

I saw the way AD went around the boards with her high confidence and figured that if she could do it, so could I. Then I started in with the girly avi's (just for Ian) and the picture posting.

I'm proud to be one of the ATS Women
Thank you, to the ATS Gentlemen for being so Great too, and treating us like equals. For listening to what we have to say, and not making judgements based on our cup size.

YOU guys are great too

- Carrot

[edit on 1/10/2009 by CA_Orot]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis
reply to post by Ian McLean

some more than others - no doubt :-)

Now, who doesn't love a good unibrow?

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

I am so impressed with the females of the species on the ATS/BTS.

I'm impressed with the intellect, humor, spirituality, reason, kindness, contributions,

I do appreciate the sentiments SD and I have always enjoyed your contributions to ATS/BTS but why wouldn't the woman of the site be smart, intellectual etc?

I may not post as much on the ATS boards but I read a lot and continue to learn something every day, the best part of ATS/BTS.

Long live the female intellect.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I say a paean to womankind is always welcome (and to my mind always due), so thank you Sdog!

I don't have the impression that the women here are any different with each other here than they are in RL, and I am surprised to see that all of the women that have posted so far do.

I have known women at ATS to be a little catty, but I have also known the same women be totally supportive when given the chance, or to relax when shown appreciation. Just like in life...

In general I think women are predisposed to being supportive, esp. if competition for male-attention is diffused and the instinct for patriarchial approval is done away with. But I was raised by Lesbians so I may have a skewed perspective...

TWISI

PS - It also seems I have now found the one thing that Our Beloved Debate Champion Ian M. TM and I will for sure, never agree on.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
SDog & Ian, you are both very sweet

I would also say that most of the men on the boards seem to treat women (smart, sometimes mouthy women) much better than I'm used to in real life. Without either trying to pretend that there's nothing different at all about us, or that there's something wrong if we think we have anything to say about "serious" issues.

I'm another woman who has very few close female friends in real life – I just don't get along with other women very well. And it's been wonderful to find that it doesn't have to be that way online. Although I would say that some of us are pretty defensive around each other at least to start with – but that's probably just our real life experience showing. And it (in my experience) has never led to that nasty cattiness and ally-seeking gossip that I've seen in real life

So, yay for ATS gender relations

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by CA_Orot
For listening to what we have to say, and not making judgements based on our cup size.

Or our ability to play darts.

YOU guys are great too

What she said ^^^^^^^^^^

Rush

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Thank you Sdog, for your ode to ATS femininity. I certainly do not always rise above the fray, sometimes I like a good dirty fight, but I enjoy being flattered.....errr appreciated as much as the next person. :p

Originally posted by TheWayISeeIt

I say a paean to womankind is always welcome (and to my mind always due), so thank you Sdog!

I don't have the impression that the women here are any different with each other here than they are in RL, and I am surprised to see that all of the women that have posted so far do.

I have known women at ATS to be a little catty, but I have also known the same women be totally supportive when given the chance, or to relax when shown appreciation. Just like in life...

I agree. I think the women here are much like the women I know and have known in person.

And, just to be honest, I have not noticed any less "cattiness" and competitiveness among the men I know and have known, here and person. I think that quality exists in all people, but women get labeled differently for it for some reason.

[edit on 11-1-2009 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Iag is a lady?
Thank god for that.
I've always felt so conflicted about our friendship.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Well, to be honest, I dont know if I can be described honestly as a lady, but I am female.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Close enough for SDog. j/k
You know I digs ya no matter what.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join