It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States Look to Prisons for Ways to Save Money, Including Letting Some Inmates Go

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Well, this is a step in the right direction, imo. Some of the inmates being considered for release are non-violent drug offenders. While I do not condone all drug use, there are some 'offenders' who should not clutter up our prisons.

NEW YORK — Their budgets in crisis, governors, legislators and prison officials across the nation are making or considering policy changes that will likely remove tens of thousands of offenders from prisons and parole supervision.

Collectively, the pending and proposed initiatives could add up to one of biggest shifts ever in corrections policy, putting into place cost-saving reforms that have struggled to win political support in the tough-on-crime climate of recent decades.
:
:
Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine is proposing early release of about 1,000 inmates. New York Gov. David Paterson wants early release for 1,600 inmates as well as an overhaul of the so-called Rockefeller Drug Laws that impose lengthy mandatory sentences on many nonviolent drug offenders.

"These laws have neither curbed drug use nor enhanced public safety," said Donna Lieberman of the New York Civil Liberties Union. "Instead, they have ruined thousands of lives and annually wasted millions of tax dollars in prison costs."

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

I can understand letting the non-violent offenders go. Like the people in for pot.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Well, hopefully this will help us go in the right direction. Just slapthe drugges with some fines and let em go I say. Generate some more money that way and help the government(s) get out of debt.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Yeah most definetly. Letting the pot dealers and smokers out is definetly i step in the right direction, most of those people have done nothing to harm anybody, all they've done is sell a plant.

Anyway thats another thread. Good job NY.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I am also in favor of this.

As long as they are not a threat to society, they should be out.

Hopefully, this will catch on and all states will ad head to this.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
i dont trust the article

because the funding of a correctional facility is based on HEAD COUNT

less head count = less funds

more head count = more funds

i dont see how letting people go is profitable?

well, at least thats how things work where im from...

ya you could "save" taxpayer money by letting all the potheads go but...someones gonna lose ALOT of profits!

so i dont see how its possible? unless the govt said "we cant give you more $$$ even if you have high headcounts"

then it would make sense

[edit on 10-1-2009 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Its actually fairly expensive to feed and clothe all the inmates I imagine. But I believe you are right the higher head count = more money. I know a lot of places around here require the inmate to pay for his time. I would assume space would be more of an issue for releasing prisoners rather than money.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Prisoners should pay some money... It costs over a million dollars to feed, clothe, and provide shelter, heat, air conditioning, for an inmate. For one year.

I wish I got a million dollars a year.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

State prisons are not profit-making ventures. The state has to pay for the prisoners upkeep, so you're taking from one hand and giving it to the other hand. And losing money in the process because of admin costs.

reply to post by ravenshadow13

I think your figures are inflated.

The average annual operating cost
per State inmate in 2001 was $22,650,
or $62.05 per day. Among facilities
operated by the Federal Bureau
of Prisons, it was $22,632 per inmate,
or $62.01 per day.

74.125.45.132...:3tdl6272CRkJ:www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/spe01.pdf+prison+costs&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

Dated, but not far off.

[edit on 10-1-2009 by jsobecky]

new topics

top topics

join