Does the U.S. Deserve a Chunk of Iraq's Oil Revenue?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
YES we need to get paid back for most of the money that was spent on the war. i do agree we should not use that oil for burning as fuel but rather in the (chemical) industry. we need the oil even after we go 100% to renewable energy for transporation! oil is in plastics, electronics, fertilizers, medication and so many other things that we take for granted in everyday life... we appear to forget about in this craze for the "clean energy".

Iraqis were living under terrible oppression ruled with an iron fist by a minority. imagine you would have an all black or all chinese or all mexican government, police, security forces in the US. how would all the other races feel? there was no "equal opportunity" or mixing of any kind and even worse if you were not part of the ruling tribe of Saddam you would only get the leftovers when it came to food, housing and all the basic things of life. how would you feel if you were denied the food because you are let's say white in the US ruled by asians?

Saddam was bad and even though the invasion didn't go too well many iraqis are still better off without him. and if the country were stable without car bombs (which are not US made but rather iranian made) then most of the population would feel good in their newly found "liberation" from a tirant. these same bombs were around in Spain or Ireland made by their own home grown terrorists/freedom fighters. eventually they stopped killing each other. the US had a civil war over some of their own issues... eventually iraq will be peaceful in a generation.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Why don't the private american corporations whom made huge profits from the war pay for a chunk of the cost?

You must remember, america didn't start the war in Iraq to help the Iraqi's in the least bit... They started the war for the following reasons...

- Profit from weapons being used.
- Huge savings on controlled oil imports.
- Get rid of nuclear waste. I.E. Depleted Uranium by using it to create war heads that will be used to shell iraq. ( how sick is that??!! )
- Stop the oil from trading on the euro which would have benefited the Iraqi's.
- Profit from rebuilding the infrastructures that were ripped apart.
- Creating a large base in the middle east where future wars and political agendas can be carried out.

I'm sure there are more reasons and I'm also sure that none of them are to benefit the Iraqi people. America has already taken enough from those poor people!

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
1. No.

2. US are already sucking up the dirty oil money from Iraq, why on earth did you think they went in there?

Best regards.

Loke.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by kreese
Why don't the private american corporations whom made huge profits from the war pay for a chunk of the cost?

You must remember, america didn't start the war in Iraq to help the Iraqi's in the least bit... They started the war for the following reasons...

- Profit from weapons being used.
- Huge savings on controlled oil imports.
- Get rid of nuclear waste. I.E. Depleted Uranium by using it to create war heads that will be used to shell iraq. ( how sick is that??!! )
- Stop the oil from trading on the euro which would have benefited the Iraqi's.
- Profit from rebuilding the infrastructures that were ripped apart.
- Creating a large base in the middle east where future wars and political agendas can be carried out.

I'm sure there are more reasons and I'm also sure that none of them are to benefit the Iraqi people. America has already taken enough from those poor people!

sacrifices must be made if you want to keep your current way of life. if the US will become a second-hand power instead of THE super power how well do you think your kids are going to be in 30 years (assuming you're living in the US or western europe). would you rather have china, russia or iran own the oil fields of iraq? have you seen what russia is doing to europe in one of their coldest winters? and it's not the first time they are doing it, wont be the last either. just think about that!

i agree the war was mismanaged and that a lot of lies have been told about the reasons we are there, a lot of lives have been lost which with better planning would have been spared. but it was the right thing to do for the long term best interest of the US & western world.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Way of life?

I'm so sick of all the atrocities going on in the world to protect our " way of life ".
Obesity? That certainly seems to be a very popular "way of life" for Americans.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
OH wait...

You also might want to re-think your whole " way of life " . The bailout. Marshall law threats. corrupt government. Fake Democracy.

Welcome to the beginnings of a new " way of life " my friend. This new "way of life" that I'm sure you're going to love sooo much will come in spite of the iraqi war. So really, did it happen to protect your " way of life " or is your " way of life " just something that exists in your memory as you slowly adjust to the realities that it is gone!

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Way of life?

I'm so sick of all the atrocities going on in the world to protect our " way of life ".
Obesity? That certainly seems to be a very popular "way of life" for Americans.

obesity is very popular in europe too. it's a way of pointing out the lazy people who have more food than they need.

no i'm not talking about those "un-persons" who choose to destroy their bodies eating until they are close to throwing up. i'm talking about the way of life where you can own a house, have a decent job of 40 hrs or less, being paid decently (if you went through the trouble of actually going to college), having the freedom to worship whichever god instead of allah or jesus only, etc, etc, etc.

those who think that US is evil should go live for half a year or so in one of those "wonderful contries" like china, Russia, Cuba, Venezuela. but without using any US money, just get a job there and get by without showing your US passport or credit cards. then you decide if the US is better or not. just for fun try saying smth against the chinese party in china and then compare your punishment to what you're getting in the US for expressing your opinion...

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

OH wait...

You also might want to re-think your whole " way of life " . The bailout. Marshall law threats. corrupt government. Fake Democracy.

Welcome to the beginnings of a new " way of life " my friend. This new "way of life" that I'm sure you're going to love sooo much will come in spite of the iraqi war. So really, did it happen to protect your " way of life " or is your " way of life " just something that exists in your memory as you slowly adjust to the realities that it is gone!

watch the "end of suburbia" and see the alternative. the truth is that until there is reliable mass transit and lots of cars that dont use gasoline on the road (and even then) there is not much we can do than get oil wherever we can!

the US is a great place. use your brain, invent some new way of moving ppl around without oil that is also cost efficient and not only will you save the US but you will also become rich! if you're not capable of solving the problem then stop complaining and be grateful for what you have. if you don't like it - the borders are open and there are plenty of countries out there you can check out!

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The electric car was invented at around the same time as the internal combustion car. We all know what happened then.

Nikolai Tesla had tonnes of inventions and theories that could have likely led to self sufficient electricity generators. We all know what happened then.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

The electric car was invented at around the same time as the internal combustion car. We all know what happened then.

Nikolai Tesla had tonnes of inventions and theories that could have likely led to self sufficient electricity generators. We all know what happened then.

"We all know what happened", "Marshall law threats" [sic], etc etc

i've heard about these conspiracy things for years and there was no martial law even when the towers were hit. lay off that zeitgeist junk. jesus is the sun god? so what why would i care about church, let them worship whatever they think they are worshipping! bankers making money? do i care as long as my life and my children's lives are ok? you're feeling as a slave for having a 40 hrs/week job? just try slaving for 14 hrs/day 365 days/year in china or some other asian sweat shop where you get paid less than you need to feed your family, dont even think about getting your kid a bike or a computer.

"slavery" is a bit far fetched in a country where most ppl are well fed, clothed, housed than at any time in history. where most ppl have more wealth than any other time in history.

complaining about africa or other countries and how poor they are? would you like to help? then stop complaining and donate to a charity or go over there and volunteer. oh but wait volunteering is slavery as some are saying around the board when Obama is suggesting we should do more for the community in our spare time. now you have a chance of getting off your butt and instead of watching CNN or other tv crap help a couple of hours during the weekend. get your kids off the video games and take them with you to see how well of they are in your family so that they appreciate their way of life instead of posting "i hate the US" on random boards.

if you're not capable of feeling useful in the society then you're no better than a criminal who's shooting ppl and saying the system is unjust for sending him to jail!

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

I sort of doubt this. We opened up the oil fields to companies that Saddam would not let in by getting rid of him. That oil will now be extracted and sold, and some portion of the profits WILL go to the Iraqui government that we helped put in place to ensure that Iraq is now an open source for "capitalism" to work its magic.

Sone tiny proportion of the profits...

Crude Designs

But the best reply to this dumb thread so far...

Do you deserve someone's wallet after you have savagely beaten them?

Thank you, Jezus!

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSecret
Iraqis were living under terrible oppression ruled with an iron fist by a minority.

Saddam was a strange psychotc dude BUT Iraq was almost alone in the region in using vast portions of their oil revenue to educate the people, build a secular society, and give a reasonable standard of living, if not to all, then to many. Prior to sanctions Iraq had the lowest infant mortality toll in the region - and that's a really good indicator of overall health.

Of course, if you crossed him, he'd destroy your family and possibly your whole town. However, things weren't as bad as has been made out by the US media... until the West imposed sanctions. Even then, people still ate, even if clean water was a problem because Iraq wasn't allowed to import replacement parts for its water treatment facilities, which we were bombing in direct violation of the Geneva Conventions.

And for many Iraqis, being Sunni or Shia wasn't a huge issue. Saddam was secularising Iraq, and it was only after we went back in there and started the two factions at each others throats - a technique that was used, for example, to divide Cyprus so Nato could continue to use it - that a real division emerged.

Saddam was bad and even though the invasion didn't go too well many iraqis are still better off without him.

This article is two years old

The "war on terror" - and by terrorists - has directly killed a minimum of 62,006 people, created 4.5 million refugees and cost the US more than the sum needed to pay off the debts of every poor nation on earth.

and if the country were stable without car bombs (which are not US made but rather iranian made) then most of the population would feel good in their newly found "liberation" from a tirant. these same bombs were around in Spain or Ireland made by their own home grown terrorists/freedom fighters. eventually they stopped killing each other. the US had a civil war over some of their own issues... eventually iraq will be peaceful in a generation.

I'd reply to that, but it doesn't hang together as an argument. It's just drivel. Anyway, I'm sick of trying to deny ignorance that's as wilful and self-centred as this. You also say that the US needs this oil. Well the Nazis needed lebensraum baby and we all know how they're viewed.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I haven't read the whole thread, but in IMO. The US doesn't deserve a penny.

Reasons:

Food For Oil Program
Illegal Occupation
Civilian Death Toll From Military Operations

Not to mention the BILLIONS hell even TRILLIONS of dollars it will take to rebuild that nation, whether it's Democratic or not, they've destroyed the place.

I do however think it's time for Iraq to start funding it's own rebuilding projects, as well as they're military and domestic expenses. The us should not be spending money for infrastructure there anymore.

As far as pay back for what they've spent already, it was they're decisison to ignore the UN and start a war, war is expensive, that's what happens.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Right from the start Iraqis bid for reconstruction projects. Their bids were always cheaper than the US companies', but they never got a look in. KBR and Halliburton, Blackwater, and others, have ripped off the US taxpayer. And the US firms doing reconstruction work have done a pretty shoddy job in most instances.

Don't whine about getting the Iraqis to do "their share". You broke it, you fix it. The US could have ensured Iraqi oil revenues were used to pay Iraqi firms to rebuild, but that was never the plan.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by rich23

I am not certain how you intended that link to relate to my argument. If it was intended to refute it, it doesnt. It supports it. If it was intended to support it, thank you I suppose.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by rich23
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Right from the start Iraqis bid for reconstruction projects. Their bids were always cheaper than the US companies', but they never got a look in. KBR and Halliburton, Blackwater, and others, have ripped off the US taxpayer. And the US firms doing reconstruction work have done a pretty shoddy job in most instances.

Don't whine about getting the Iraqis to do "their share". You broke it, you fix it. The US could have ensured Iraqi oil revenues were used to pay Iraqi firms to rebuild, but that was never the plan.

Well really i'm Canadian, so i really don't give two **** about if the taxpayers get they're money back. The point you made is good tho, independant US contractors got all the contracts for reconstruction, why should Iraq give money to the US, when US companies received the money that was suppose to be used for reconstruction?

If they were aloud to participate that means that US kept most of the money within it's own economic system, again why should they get paid for a problem they caused?

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
This Congressman Ron Klein is possibly the biggest joke i have ever heard about. It's all been said above, private u.s firms got all the juicy contracts and now Mr.Ron "i want more" Klein want an "official small" pay back". This has to be exposed on cnn on a daily basis.

I got a good headline title: The rip-off part 2

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
hell yes!! the Us should be repaid every penny spent. It should be collected in taxes from the companies that benefited from all the death and destuction.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join