It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Warm Plasma Cloak" Discovered Enveloping Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
The Earth is dressed in layers that protect it from the sun's fierce winds, and scientists have identified a new one they call a "warm plasma cloak."

The magnetosphere—the shield of ions and electrons that envelops Earth—extends far beyond the atmosphere, defending the planet from the harmful solar wind.

The cloak's discovery creates a theoretical home for particles that didn't fit with any of the other understood parts of the Earth's magnetosphere, Chappell said.

"The cloak particles didn't fit with any of the other regions."

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Maybe Earth's shields aren't so bad off after all? How many other layers of protection does the Earth have that we are unaware of?

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
In my opinion; some people seriously underestimate the Earth. We're talking about an entity that's about as alive as you can get and will always ensure it's own survival. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't create more layers of protection as others are burned off, die, disappear, what not.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
thats an interesting thought... the Earth creating layers of protection in response to stimuli...

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Im wondering how this plasma cloak effects our space industry... could it have prevented us from going to the moon (moon landing conspiracy), could it explain strange lights in the sky? (the questions this brings up are endless...)

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
This plasma cloak has probably always been there but never before discovered. There is so much we have no idea about and a lot we think we know turns out to be something completely different.

It might have kept the astronauts that went to the moon alive. One of the arguments against the moon missions has been that space radiation should have killed them.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I agree that its probably always been there. I find it interesting though how our knowledge paradigm changes as we 'dis-cover' more knowledge.

What we believe/know today may not be what we believe/know tomorrow...

new topics

top topics

join