It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you could go back in time and change something, what would it be? And how?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Some friends about and I were talking last night about "If you could go back in time and change something/anything, what would it be and how would you do it"?

I mean killing Hitler is always up there on that list but how would you do it? Cant just walk right up to him and shoot him (many have tried to kill Hitler), so just how would you do it?

Or 9-11 for another example, if you could stop it, how would you do it? Cant just go to the police or government, they will think you are crazy and lock you up, then after the fact they will think you were part of it for having forknowledge, so how would you do it?

Personally, I would go back and warn my Fathers doctors 1 year ahead of time that he had a tumor and to check for it every 3 months... maybe we could get it in time.

Also, the repurcussions of changing time... would you really want to do it? What if killing Hitler leads to a stronger/wiser Germany and they end up winning the war?

Anyone?

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I'd COMPLETELY do away with every religion on the planet. Religion causes more harm and death then any other problem/condition.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
But the repercussions are the problem. I have often thought of things in my life I would like to go back and do over but then I think about the experiences I would not have had, the friends, girlfriends and even my wife.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Wow, good question.

I would have gone back and made it so that my dad's old company in the 90's didn't outsource their people to India and didn't lay off my dad, and I would have somehow given him a project that he could do really well and made him indispensable.

I would want him to have kept that job.

Or, I would go back to the Bush administration when it first started and given them a report by somebody important that predicted these job losses. I would have impeached him after Iraq got messed up.

Wow, I would change a lot of things. It could have saved money, jobs, my dad, or the economy. I hope.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I feel strongly the same way.

Job loses in the past couple years for me and my family have changed everything in our lives. That would be a good one to change

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Nothing. Because if you go back and change something like that, then the lesson that provided will just be carried to something else.

The error in this kind of thinking is that if you go and kill Hitler before he did all that, then what you are doing is keeping that lesson from being learned. The same thing will just happen under someone else.

Take slavery for example. Absolutely horrible. However, if slavery had not happened, then people wouldn't know how horrible it was. And so it would only be a matter of time before it happened again. Hopefully, that kind of slavery is gone for the most part. We still have economic slavery today, but that is another story.

I do believe things happen for a reason. So if you take away the event, the reason will still be there.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
Nothing. Because if you go back and change something like that, then the lesson that provided will just be carried to something else.

The error in this kind of thinking is that if you go and kill Hitler before he did all that, then what you are doing is keeping that lesson from being learned. The same thing will just happen under someone else.

Take slavery for example. Absolutely horrible. However, if slavery had not happened, then people wouldn't know how horrible it was. And so it would only be a matter of time before it happened again. Hopefully, that kind of slavery is gone for the most part. We still have economic slavery today, but that is another story.

I do believe things happen for a reason. So if you take away the event, the reason will still be there.

We don't actually have to do something before we can realize it's wrong. I'm not going to go rape someone today and then reflect tomorrow, "Hey, that was wrong of me! I shouldn't do it again!"

I think you may be paying to much head to "Those who forget their past mistakes are doomed to repeat them." That phrase is geared more toward impulsive actions and those with no forethought - such as speaking before you think or other reactions that don't have a lot of reasoning or thought before them.

Obviously, Hitler had a lot of forethought for his plan, and slavery wasn't an impulsive decision. These things were carefully considered and planned throughout their implementations.

There are many converging factors which lead to subtle conclusions that certain actions are wrong, and those factors just take time. As humanity - and individuals - gain more experience, we can foresee our future mistakes and avoid them. Some of what helps us is based on our prior mistakes, but just as much, if not more, is based on correlative experience which we can apply to our decision making.

Basically, it's called critical thinking. If we nourish good thinking, then we don't have to be stupid apes who only learn that "fire is hot" after touching it a few times and getting burned.

Granted, it does sometimes seem as if humanity is a small child who can only learn from their mistakes, but I think upon consideration, you'll find that the horrible mistakes which do manifest (slavery, Hiroshima, genocide) are relatively few and far and there has always been a potential for much greater atrocities that just haven't, and probably never will come to being.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by logician magician

Yet, you are speaking from a place where these things have already been deemed as wrong/bad from the past. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

Hitler may have thought it out well, but those who followed and supported him were for the most part mislead.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
What if you could go back and prevent Lee Harvey Oswald from shooting Kennedy (if in fact he was the shooter)? Or John Wilkes Booth? Or James Earl Ray?

What if you could prevent the deaths of people?

Even entertainers like Jimmy Hendrix, John Bonham of Led Zeppelin, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison etc...? Would you do it? How would you do it?

What if you could prevent 9-11? Would you do it? How?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I’d go back in time and prevent all the great libraries of antiquity from being destroyed, that way we could have some of the great stories and knowledge that has been lost of mankind’s true past.

I would love to read what all the great philosophers read and studied and could you imagine all the lost science and maps from our ancient past that was destroyed or lost?

Makes me sick

[edit on 12-1-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Oh and I would go back in time and punch the guy who hid or threw away the great pyramids blueprints!

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
I’d go back in time and prevent all the great libraries of antiquity from being destroyed, that way we could have some of the great stories and knowledge that has been lost of mankind’s true past.

I would love to read what all the great philosophers read and studied and could you imagine all the lost science and maps from our ancient past that was destroyed or lost?

Makes me sick

[edit on 12-1-2009 by SLAYER69]

I think this is probably one of the best ones ive heard so far

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I would definitely go back to save baby Jesus.

And then I would bring him back to our time and let Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to adopt him...

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
As far as Kennedy goes, who's to say he would push the nuke button on cuba after that day of assassination.....

I would go back and stop the Rothschild family from taking over the banking in the world.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I would go back with a Vulcan machine gun with ton's of ammo and stop every european explorer (Columbus, Leif Erikson, Amerigo Vespucci, Etc...) from ever landing in North America !

OR:

I would go back and kill off the first men (humans) then this world would be better off.

AG

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Yes, but HOW would you do it? The fun in the thought is hightened when including the 'how'.

'Go back and do this' is just withful thinking, HOW you would go about doing it, thats where the strength in this excorcise lays...

new topics

top topics

join