It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City of Reno dismantles makeshift homeless encampment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

City of Reno dismantles makeshift homeless encampment

www.rgj.com

Crews on Friday dismantled a makeshift encampment set up outside Reno’s homeless shelter on Record Street, leading to complaints by some living there that they will now have no place to go.

Beginning about 8 a.m., city workers removed tents, sleeping bags, tarps, slabs of cardboard and other items to be hauled away by dump trucks.

“I think it’s horrendous,” said Mike Kavanagh, who had been sleeping at the camp for the last 10 days.
“They just don’t care,” said Kavanagh, 53. “People will have to walk the streets.”

“We’re cleaning it up and that’s about it,” Reno Police Sgt. Ray Leal said as he watched workers dismantle the camp.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I heard of this first through a friend who frequents St. Vincents for breakfast every morning. He is homeless. Police actually denied access to those wanting to claim their property before they took it away in trucks, in effect depriving of property without due process. Reno gets below freezing temps at night, and it is an arrestable offense to set up a tent, sleep in your car, or seek shelter in any way. Most of the people who are homeless in Northern Nevada are families with children who have succumb to the current economic crisis. The police have been arresting people, taking and destroying their personal property without probable cause, due process, or any other legal precedent.

My friend(Who shall remain anonymous) took me down there to see for myself the hardships faced. I have been homeless in Nevada, and I'll tell you, it has gotten worse, not better for those just barely trying to survive.
The police, according to my source, and my own experience at St. Vincent's, told us that the new stadium was going up and that they "Did not want to have to look at a bunch of dirty bums". What they said to the news media, was obviously not reflected in the article. But it is what they told us, verbatim.

www.rgj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-1-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   

My friend(Who shall remain anonymous) took me down there to see for myself the hardships faced. I have been homeless in Nevada, and I'll tell you, it has gotten worse, not better for those just barely trying to survive

Seeing how he is your "friend" can you not supply your friend with a place to sleep?

Mod edit: Put other member's words in quotes.

[edit on 1/12/2009 by Hal9000]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
This is truly terrible.But its not the first and is certainly not unexpected.
I think they will have to consider moving outside the city limits.
Some aid organizations need to setup a proper homeless camp outside the city where the stricter laws don't apply and people can at least have a tent in winter.
If people freeze to death because of this the city will need to be held accountable.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I used to live in Reno many years ago and spent three weeks homeless there in the winter. It was hell. Walking the streets and trying to find a place to stay warm. I did find a nice woman who rented me room with no money up front, and I then got a job the next day, and payed her my first check, and the rest was history. Try finding a job with no address. Does not work there.
Then if there are no jobs, what are they going to do? They have a rite to move them, if it is their property, but to take all of their belongings? Shame on them.
They have a small shelter there when I was there that only took in 9 woman at a time and you could not stay longer than 3 days. As much revenue as those places turn in, especially back in the hay day, they should allocate some funds to a proper shelter. Some that loose their job will get unemployment, but it takes time for it to kick in and rentals there are VERY expensive. We paid $750 a month for a small one bedroom and that was 11 years ago in the older part of town. That town is also not known to cater to locals at all. In fact I kept my Arizona license the two years I lived there for that reason,lol

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by angelsrforever

You have no business questioning me on such matters at all. I took him in for 6 months free room and board. I only have so many resources. Stay on topic or don't post.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I heard of this place on TV. It is sick that they would do this now, during a recession! Where can they go? What, is the city going to build a skyscraper the day they run the people out?

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyworld
I heard of this place on TV. It is sick that they would do this now, during a recession! Where can they go? What, is the city going to build a skyscraper the day they run the people out?

Not just that, most of these people aren't your typical Reno transients that we've seen in recent years. These are whole families, and people who have lost their jobs. I even talked to one person who used to work for Washoe county. People are suffering pretty badly right now, and I feel the media here has done very little to tell their story. This is the first story I've seen, and it doesn't even get the whole perspective.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
If a makeshift village of homeless sprouts up, I think that the police have every right to shut it down. Camps full of bums are eyesores, can be threatening to passers-by, and are usually of questionable legality. And as for the "unlawful seizure" issue, a cardboard box is NOT a possession. It's a useless box.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
some of my friends went to london in the 1980's looking work etc .. they ended up homeless and slept down the manhole covers they said it never got below freezing and didnt smell to bad ...... back on topic i think churches should be open 24\7 for people to stay in them.....

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadeWolf

I can understand why they'd want to remove them, but I disagree strongly with taking their possessions. No matter how worthless it may seem to you or I, it may still have value to the person claiming it. The police had no right to do that, IMO.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Anything on city property, becomes city property.
Its sad but true.
Why do they need to stay in the city?
If you are that desperate, then you have to consider the rest of your life.
Survival.
Move out to the country and start making a life.
Many of these people are drug addicts and alcoholics and have mental illness's that need help.
Yet even if someone forced them to get help, its only going to be temporary help.
They have to WANT to help themselves.
If you look at some of the other "Temporary" homeless people.
They get it together.Some people are helpless.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
This is the beginning of things to come with the homeless of this nation and cities must have compassion and think ahead to help the homeless.
Cities across the nation must set aside designated areas for the homeless just like they do city parks. Even if it means to provide areas outside the city limits.

You ask why should the cities help the homeless? Because the cities must think ahead when millions and millions of Americans lose their jobs, homes, cars and have no food or place to go in the near future. Massive tent cities could spring up across the nation before Marshall law would be imposed and Fema camps start filling up. It is better to organize these homeless camp areas if needed rather then controlling mass civil disobedience.

If the American dollar totally collapses as some have projected it will take a wheel barrow full of money to buy a loaf of bread. No matter how bad the cities hate to think about what could happen they must plan ahead concerning the economy and massive loss of jobs.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
TO: Michael Stoops, Executive Director
NATIONAL COALITION FOR THE HOMELESS

Dear Michael,

Thanks again for your replies re President-Elect Obama's position or lack thereof on the growing homeless crisis.

Unfortunately, it seems like "business as usual" is in the plans (in DC) after Obama's inauguration. Too many of America's homeless cannot afford the time it will take for a new HUD director to be seated so he can "decide" what to do about homelessness because these destitute men, women and children will be dead by then.

Hope for future change by President Obama can be easily created with "lip service," but rhetoric cannot bring back the dead or undo the needless pain and suffering thousands of homeless men, women and children will be forced to endure between now and when, as you know.

I believe all advocates and supporters of America's homeless should be demanding a firm commitment from President Obama to abolish homelessness in our nation just like slavery was abolished in the 19th Century because homelessness is just as bad as slavery was way back then in several ways, and in some ways worse.

As the article attached below indicates, Obama promised to tackle our nation's economic problems from the bottom up. Whether he has ever been homeless himself or not, the bottom is homelessness.

Lobbying people below the President is fine and dandy, but unless and until the President of the United States makes a firm commitment to rid our nation of involuntary homelessness, the problem will continue to grow. Business-as-usual will simply not help most of America's homeless in the future anymore than it has in the past.

I would urge your National Coalition to meet with President Obama ASAP, to express this great need for his firm commitment. We have seen how President Bush's HUD director hustled all across the nation to promote their 10-year homeless plan while the homeless problem has only grown. Why should we expect a new HUD director under President Obama to do any better if Obama doesn't have homelessness on or anywhere near his list of PRIORITIES?

Homelessness is not of much if any concern to the rich and well-to-do -- or even to the middle-class -- but homelessness is the top concern of the homeless and they should count as much to President Obama regardless of their inability to contribute to his or anyone else's political campaigns. The Bushes let the homeless down. The Clintons let the homeless down as did former presidents Reagan, Carter, Nixon and Johnson; the list goes on and on.

These presidents all worked hard to make the rich and well-to-do happy with their administrations but what about the homeless? What president will finally make a real commitment to America's homeless, and make a real difference in their lives beyond offering more false hope about future changes that never come?

Please ask your NCH board of directors to join the American Homeless Society in our initiative to seek a firm commitment from President Obama to end involuntary homelessness in our nation while he is in office. If cities can make a commitment to end homelessness, why not President Obama?

Sincerely,

Ruben Botello, Founder
AMERICAN HOMELESS SOCIETY
sananda.tripod.com...

Obama promises 'bottom-up' economic growth
June 19, 2008

FROM ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON — Democrat Barack Obama told union leaders Thursday that he will pursue economic policies that benefits workers if elected president, but he also will seek input from corporate leaders.

‘‘The economy is not working the way it should be, and that’s going to be the goal of an Obama presidency — to make sure we’ve got bottom-up economic growth instead of the kind of tired, worn-out, trickle-down ideologies we’ve been seeing for so many years,’’ Obama said as he gathered with about three dozen leaders in a Capitol Hil

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by BorgHoffen

We're not talking about the same homeless people here. When times were good, I would have agreed with you. But now? With over 16% unemployment and rising, there's a whole new class of homeless people, entire families who always worked hard their whole life but we're screwed by the banks and/or lost their jobs.

They have to set up proper shelters RIGHT FREAKING NOW. Can you imagine a family who have 2 childrens of 2 and 4 years old and they have to sleep in their cars or outside in winter?

This is disgusting. Even in Iraq they are not that bad off.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadeWolf
If a makeshift village of homeless sprouts up, I think that the police have every right to shut it down. Camps full of bums are eyesores, can be threatening to passers-by, and are usually of questionable legality. And as for the "unlawful seizure" issue, a cardboard box is NOT a possession. It's a useless box.

We have below freezing weather in the overnight hours. People blankets and sleeping bags were taken. You need to study the Constitution. No one can deprive of life, liberty or PROPERTY without due process. The homeless people in Reno have changed from the usual transient to whole families. These people are not just an "Eyesore" they are in need of help and the police and the city are ignoring that in favor of "beautifying" the city...Well what happens when the number of homeless increases to the thousands?

If a makeshift village sprouts up in the middle of a city we need to ask how we can solve the problem, not how we can sweep it under the carpet. That is not a solution.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by BorgHoffen
Anything on city property, becomes city property.
Its sad but true.
Why do they need to stay in the city?
If you are that desperate, then you have to consider the rest of your life.
Survival.
Move out to the country and start making a life.
Many of these people are drug addicts and alcoholics and have mental illness's that need help.
Yet even if someone forced them to get help, its only going to be temporary help.
They have to WANT to help themselves.
If you look at some of the other "Temporary" homeless people.
They get it together.Some people are helpless.

It's sad, however not true. There is no country they can move too, we live in the high desert. In the middle of a freezing cold winter. The city has to operate within the confines of the Constitution, meaning no life, liberty, or property can be taken without due process.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
It is horrible isnt it. Im afraid we will see more and more stories like this. It is not just that the unemployment rate is getting higher, people can only claim unemployment $$ for so long. After that, and I dont know if many of you realize this when you are looking at the stats, they are no longer counted in the stats. There are next to no jobs to be had. People are loosing their jobs right and left. Even if they could find a job in another state, they cant move, because they can not sell their house. Our homeless shelters around here are full. More and more homeless camps are being found everywhere.

People in Washington and Florida fought to keep a couple tent cities open. I will see if I can find the link. Down in Florida, one of the churches, who's shelter had filled up allowed people to set up camp on their land. They bought more land thanks to some donations, and set it up so more people could camp there.

Unfortunatly, in most places tent cities are not allowed. What many people dont know, heck I didnt know untill it was reported by fluke on the news, is that there are tent cities all over in the woods. We had an incident here in the Kansas City area, where there was a car accident - I believe it was in Overland Park, the car went into the woods. They sent people into help and stumbled along a tent city full of about 100 people. It was along a river/stream, and had been hidden thanks to the tree line seperateing the highway from the river.

It is awefull to think about how many more people are becoming homeless with no where to go. Shelters are full, and tent cities are not allowed usually. I hate to think about it. Being a criminal for no other reason than being homeless. Having to try to live like a fugitive.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
try to live like a fugitive.

This is what alot of people don't seem to understand. These people are being kicked while they're down and there seems to be no end in sight to these injustices. No one seems to study history.

I hear religious, "God fearing" people talk about the homeless problem in this country as though it were nothing more than graffiti on their walls. Thousands of times did Jesus say "help the poor", and yet these same people would just a soon spit on them.

I'm tired of the moral police picking and choosing what morality best suits them for political purposes. No one wants to help if their is nothing to be gained. Charity without loss is no charity at all.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Yet every Iraq-Afghan vet can't shut up about all the 'good' they did/do that never makes the news. Hey, you want to do some good? Get off your duffs and build these people some shelter and quit stroking your egos and ribbons.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join