It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

60 Minutes - America IS Christian

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo

Clearly this "large percentage" of Christianity has not helped this world.
It's an old idea.
And we need to renew.

???

Could you elaborate/justify?

OT

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by spec_ops_wannabe
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Nope, it wasn't ever said to be a separation of church and state. It was worded to say that the State could not establish it's own church or religion.
It was meant to be that way to distinguish the USA from the British who had their own state run religion. The Anglican church ring a bell?

Founded by King Henry VIII.

Very wise post here....think it through skeptic!

OT

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by narin

The hypocrisy of some nations frightens me.

Me too!

Thanks

OT

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by NettleTea
1- I am sure we can all co-exist with each other, as long as civility is shown by all parties involved.

2, 3, 4- I can't say one way or the other about a Creator. I can't say that he/she/it doesn't exist because he very well might without my knowledge. I can't say he does exist because I have never met him.

5- I can't change my mind until evidence enough is presented to me (for one side or the other).

6- The best thing I can say about faith is that it helps a lot of my family through hard times like deaths, accidents, or any other life altering experiences.

7- The best example of a negative faith experience is a constant worry of burning in Hell. You have to admit that there are some very radical, almost zealot like preachers in all religions. These people tell me that if I stray from these texts (Bible, Koran, and so on) I will forever burn in constant agony. There are two problems with this. One, if most of these religions have a hell then picking the wrong one will increase my chances of burning. Two, the ancient holy texts have some “interesting” aspects to them regarding the rules and regulations. Textbook example is masturbation, wherein a harmless natural act can get you on a path to the lake of fire.

Trouble is that God may be one to nit pick, and even if I live a pretty good life I could burn for not following the rules to the letter. To me this “worship or else” tenet is really psychological terrorism.

8,9- I think that all religions should be kept out of government, even if they are only ceremonial. When you mix religion with government you only work to spoil both. Leave the politicians out of my religious life.

I'm not all that knowledgeable on the Bible, but I think I remember a story that fits the discussion. There were two men who believed and worshiped God. The first man would go out into the street everyday, and make a big scene while praying. He wanted all around to know he was religious and holy. The second man, on the other hand, prayed everyday in the privacy of his home. He would close his windows and pray without a person noticing. In the end the second man grasped the purpose of worship better (being meek and not using worship as a status to show off).

I just think that knowing God is a very personal thing, and it shouldn't be displayed in a public forum. Just as I wouldn't want my taxes and earnings fodder for public spectacle, I wouldn't want my personal savior to be either.

Sweet!!!!!!

You answered the OP....thanks!

OT

ps: Pls explain your last paragraph....isn't good news....good news for all?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by andre18
So do any of you actually support the 'in god we trust' on your money?

I DO!

OT

Why not....???

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Navieko
As was asked earlier, what difference does it make? What point are you trying to make? And if such was the case, what would you want to come off it?

I'm shocked to see there are still those who limit themselves to just one possibility. Black or white. It's that sort of mentality that has really brought a halt to progress, real progress. There is only one fact in this universe that can absolutely not be argued - and that is, there are no such thing as facts. In a world where anything is possible, why do we choose to sit idly by, preoccupied with a limited way of life... no questions, no curiosity -- no will to seek the unknown. How pointless, how boring it must be.

For all we know, if it wasn't for this sort of mentality that we've all been conditioned to live under for the past couple hundred years, we could be out making friends with some species on a distant planet -- forever expanding our minds.

Unfortunately we still can't achieve that here on our own planet.

[edit on 11/1/09 by Navieko]

????????/

Who are you addressing these questions to?

OT

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
America is Christian?

Nothing so's Christ would recognize.

Lots of pretenders.

?????

Explain...

OT (not a poser!)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: OldThinkerWhile there are some isolated quotes by some of the Founding Fathers, the vast majority did not share your opinion. For a better understanding from the original papers of the Founding Fathers, please go to wallbuilders.com. Yes, we were definitely founded as a Christian nation. Sorry.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join