It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

60 Minutes - America IS Christian

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Fuuny wasn't it suppose to be "seperation of church and state"

if the US is a christian nation, then god help all of you!

That would be your biggest problem....IMO.

This is about a Nation and its people, not its silly misrepresentations of a Jeffersonian Letter about the danbury Baptists.

Separation of church and state? Sure,, Ok

But separation from God?

NOPE

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by andre18
So do any of you actually support the 'in god we trust' on your money?
Because as soon as you say yes i support this notion, then you're automatically opposed to your own government laws that demand religion and government be separate.

And if you're going to say the belief in god isn't only religious, well yes it is because as long as there are atheists not everyone is going support 'in god we trust.' So it is obviously a religious hold on the political system.

Just as in court you must swear an oath to god not to lie. How does that work if you an atheist? Obviously if the courts require you to pledge to god they assume you already believe. I mean how corrupt must the American system be if they take your word on god?

Clever Andre but these are those issues and rights given us that are endowed by our creator and separation of church and state means that Government stays out of being referee in arguments between little Godless Christian Antagonists like YOU and Over Zealous right wing Christians and they let the process of voting decide.

If our Currency says IN GOD WE TRUST the what does THAT TELL YOU about your silly idea their is some imaginary wall keeping that same Govermnent from putting the very God that gave those rights to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness whic is said to be endowed by said creator. What does it say about that? It says simply In God we trust and NOT andre. Obviously you are wrong about separation of church and State or as you so cleverly pointed out they wouldn't have put that there.

I don't subscribe to the separation powers to mean what you think it means.

There is not a single member of the "Radical Religious Right" who does not believe in the "separation of church and state"

None of them wants one church to be preferred over the others.

Nobody wants taxes levied to support the clergy of one denomination, or of all denominations "non-preferentially."

This is what the Founding Fathers meant by "an establishment of religion."
Read the conclusions of a Georgetown University Law Center study.

Read the frank admission of Justice Douglas in the famous 1962 case that removed prayer from public schools.

But today the "separation of church and state" has nothing to do with any church or any denomination. The real issue is whether we are a nation "under God."

Separationists want the separation of God and State.
But a government that will not acknowledge God
is a government that believes itself to be God.

The U.S. Supreme Court once declared that America was "a Christian nation."

A Christian nation that does not believe in using the IRS Gestapo to raise funds for churches;

A Christian nation that believes in the separation of churches and the state.

This website affirms the "separation of church and state" as the Framers of the Constitution understood that phrase: no taxes to support churches: Anglicans, Presbyterians, or any other denomination. This website denies the modern myth of "separation of church and state" as the ACLU understands that term. The State is "ordained by God," ours is "a Christian nation," a nation "under God," and the Constitution was not intended to give the federal government the power to amend state constitutions where they mention religion, order local schools to remove the 10 Commandments from classes, or order them to eliminate prayer from Graduations.

This is not rocket science. A child can understand this.

Andre seems to think that Christians do nothing but preach, go to church, and engage in religious liturgies, and if he proves that someone farms, engages in commerce, or establishes any kind of civilization, he is not a Christian, but probably a Secular Humanist. If anyone like that was a founding father, then they must have been a "deist" ha ha

Separation" Defined and Refuted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The separation of church and state originally had something to do with entities called "churches." No longer. The modern myth of "separation of church and state" really means "separation of God and state."
Not a single person who signed the Constitution believed in the modern myth of separation of God and state. A few Signers did not believe in the separation of churches and the states, but all the Signers believed in the separation of churches and the federal government.

Every member of the "Religious Right" believes in the separation of churches and the states, and churches and the federal government, which is what the Founding Fathers believed in. As we show elsewhere, the First Amendment was designed to prevent:

A church denomination officially recognized and protected by the federal government;

A church denomination whose members alone were eligible to vote, to hold public office, and to practice a profession;

A church denomination which compelled religious orthodoxy under penalty of fine and imprisonment;

A church denomination able to expel dissenters from the commonwealth;

A church denomination financed by taxes upon all members of the community; (even those not members of the denomination),

A church denomination which alone could freely hold public worship and evangelize;

A church denomination which alone could perform valid marriages, burials, etc.

Nearly all of these had been eliminated by all of the states before the Constitution was even drafted. Most of the changes came about after 1776: The Church of England had been the established religion in many states, and that was clearly no option after the Revolution. The First Amendment did not make radical changes, it protected what had already been achieved by the Revolution.

This has nothing to do with a separation of God and State, or the creation of a secular (atheistic) government.

[edit on 11-1-2009 by Aermacchi]

[edit on 11-1-2009 by Aermacchi]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Aermacchi

That sounds like a quote from a Youtube movie by Bob Basso. Towards the middle or end he says something like that.
This is not a one liner.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by spec_ops_wannabe

That sounds like a quote from a Youtube movie by Bob Basso. Towards the middle or end he says something like that.
This is not a one liner.

Yeah I have seen it but that was after I had seen it on five or six other media publications. If you understand the constitution it is the kind of statement one naturally concludes on their own

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

You realy need to read the whole thread which covers things like god propaganda on currency not being introduced until the 1950s and the
literal defintions of deism.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

That's in the old testament along with the condemnation of gayness, christians today are only bound to follow the new testament.

Says who?
Seems to me that just cherrypicking certain bits out of a divinely inspired 'perfect book' is a little hypocritical-not to mention a bit of a copout.
Its all or nothing isn't it?

No, it is not all or nothing, or else our churches would have to follow the hundreds upon hundreds of laws that were taught in the synagogues of Jesus' time. Christians say that when Jesus came he brought the new covenant as all the sins (breaking the laws of the old covenant) would be forgiven not by personal sacrificing(of animals and whatnot) but by the blood of Jesus. Jesus is the supposed only way to heaven to christians. The new testament is the new covenant. If christians had an obligation to follow both the old and new covenant, they could not wear clothes of mixed material, they would take it upon themselves to kill sinners, they would practice animal sacrifice, they could not eat pork, among many many things that is taught in the old testament that christians today definitely do not follow.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
As was asked earlier, what difference does it make? What point are you trying to make? And if such was the case, what would you want to come off it?

I'm shocked to see there are still those who limit themselves to just one possibility. Black or white. It's that sort of mentality that has really brought a halt to progress, real progress. There is only one fact in this universe that can absolutely not be argued - and that is, there are no such thing as facts. In a world where anything is possible, why do we choose to sit idly by, preoccupied with a limited way of life... no questions, no curiosity -- no will to seek the unknown. How pointless, how boring it must be.

For all we know, if it wasn't for this sort of mentality that we've all been conditioned to live under for the past couple hundred years, we could be out making friends with some species on a distant planet -- forever expanding our minds.

Unfortunately we still can't achieve that here on our own planet.

[edit on 11/1/09 by Navieko]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Navieko
As was asked earlier, what difference does it make? What point are you trying to make? And if such was the case, what would you want to come off it?

I'm shocked to see there are still those who limit themselves to just one possibility. Black or white. It's that sort of mentality that has really brought a halt to progress, real progress. In a world where anything is possible, why do we choose to sit idly by, preoccupied with a limited way of life... no questions, no curiosity -- no will to seek the unknown. How pointless, how boring it must be.

For all we know, if it wasn't for this sort of mentality that we've all been conditioned to live under for the past couple hundred years, we could be out making friends with some species on a distant planet -- forever expanding our minds.

Unfortunately we still can't achieve that here on our own planet.

[edit on 11/1/09 by Navieko]

There is only one fact in this universe that can absolutely not be argued - and that is, there are no such thing as facts.

Is that a fact?

this is why I crack up when ever I read such post modernist sophistry. As usual, we see the so called "progressive" thinker put a whole shoe store in his mouth just getting out of the gate while he talks out both sides of his mouth while contradicting himself in the same sentence.

So after that,, I got bored.

NEXT?

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
America is Christian?

Nothing so's Christ would recognize.

Lots of pretenders.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aermacchi

There is only one fact in this universe that can absolutely not be argued - and that is, there are no such thing as facts.

Is that a fact?

this is why I crack up when ever I read such post modernist sophistry. As usual, we see the so called "progressive" thinker put a whole shoe store in his mouth just getting out of the gate while he talks out both sides of his mouth while contradicting himself in the same sentence.

NEXT?

I'm not sure if you're actually really being serious here... the scary thing is, I think you are. In any case I'll bite. Yes, I was quite conscious of the fact that I made a contradictory statement. In doing so, I also happened to know that in this case, it doesn't change the point that was being made -- but on the contrary only emphasizes the point even more, in a sort of humorous way. I'm glad you got the joke, pity you didn't get the point though.

What I find funny is how you actually thought you really had me there, and then try and make a clever little post to expose my 'fallacy' and show what a real stand up guy you are!

You sneaky little.... God bless you!

[edit on 12/1/09 by Navieko]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Navieko

Is that a fact?

NEXT?

In any case I'll bite. Yes, I was quite conscious of the fact that I made a contradictory statement. In doing so, I also happened to know that in this case, it doesn't change the point that was being made -- but on the contrary only emphasizes the point even more, in a sort of humorous way. I'm glad you got the joke, pity you didn't get the point though.

You sneaky little.... God bless you!

I'm not sure if you're actually really being serious here... the scary thing is, I think you are.

Mmmm another "strategic" contradiction, I was to discover so you could suggest you "planned" it that way thereby making your point even stronger? You know,, the point you can never seem to make because you can't seem to ever make one? The only point YOU make is that when you get busted for posting a load of crap, using some sanguine sardonic sense of humor, you throw yourself over the cliff in suicidal humorous humiliation.

What I find funny is how you actually thought you really had me there, and then try and make a clever little post to expose my 'fallacy' and show what a real stand up guy you are!

1) I did have you there,

2) It wasn't me that thougth I had you there, it was everyone except you

3) Exposed your fallacy? Please,, there are children reading

4) Yeah,, I'm KoO like that

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Mmmm another "strategic" contradiction, I was to discover so you could suggest you "planned" it that way thereby making your point even stronger?

No, that one I'm afraid is my bad. I was actually meaning to say "you probably are". But you really got me there, sorry son.

1) I did have you there,

Aww man... you still don't get it? I'm sure you've heard the saying "the first rule is, there are no rules". Same sorta thing ya know? It actually really isn't a hard thing to grasp. But since supposedly "noone" except me gets it, how about I change it to "the reality is there are no facts". Or if that is still too much of a contradiction for you to grasp the point, how about simply "anything is possible". Would these changes better make you understand my original point and perhaps discuss that? ...or is it just that my point of view is so hard for people like you to accept that you'd rather attack me on some childish basis instead of debating/questioning the point being made?

As I'm sure it's the latter, it would be a waste of time and energy in even bothering with you any longer. Also I'm sure the other members would rather read posts actually on topic and relevant to the OP. Sorry ATS, I allowed myself to get pulled down to some petty level of argument -- back to the topic!

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Hi everyone...I took a few days off...and will probably not be a ble to get back any more tonight...

I just wanted to say thank you to the responders...another debatable topic that ATS is famous for...

My hope is tomorrow afternoon to respond to each of you individually...

Why i say "Christian Nation" I'm not speaking of POSITION or OFFICIAL STATUS....I am speaking of INFLUENCE...Influence from some wise Christian men...who understood...power corrupts and absolutel power corrupts absolutely!

Who set up a balanced structure of government, based upon truths and balances in scripture..

More later, ok?

One last thing...maybe times when writers do what they do....they usually put a summary to capture the key points...please see below bolded words at the conclusion of the Declaration of Independence...enjoy!

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these united Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States, that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. — And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
America is Christian?

Nothing so's Christ would recognize.

Lots of pretenders.

Well, right. But they still call themselves "Christian" and pretend they all would go to "Heaven" and that everyone else won't or can't.
Still not cool. The commandments are fine, morals are fine, but this religious hierarchy thing isn't. In America, it is "better," "easier" and possibly now "intended" for people to be Christian.

Where my boyfriend lives in western Maryland, there are no Jews or Muslims in the county. They have prayer group in school and Bible study period. There are about 7 churches per town, and obviously no other religious buildings.

Maybe it's our own fault though. As a non-Christian, I know I wouldn't move there.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
post by OldThinker

I can post lots of authenticated quotes and statements made by the founding fathers of the US which clearly show their disdain for organized religion and their hopes and wishes that America be free from the burdens and impositions made by it.
Shall I bother?

You can also find plenty of laws voted on and passed by our lawmakers ,in effect today which not only aren't being upheld but used to the advantage of themselves and every illegal immigrant in this country. I honestly hold no regard for anything anymore (especially written laws on paper made by man). The same laws never apply to different people. They always have different meanings when applied.

Wow! You said it Reveal, and it IS getting tiresome this asinine worldview by Atheist's, gay activists, secular progressives and the pseudo science we seem to be replacing Christianity with in addition to common sense.

The arguments put forth about a world without truth where people are arguing whether the holocaust was a hoax or that Jesus never existed and now they want to say America, is not a Christian Nation and any religious folk were "obviously "Deist" or some other reason or excuse to claim any other God or religion as long as it isn't Christianity and as long as it isn't Christ Jesus when the facts about this have been beaten to death and the supreme court has had to come in on five separate Occasions making this once again, a Nation of Christians, started by Christians and made the greatest nation on earth by Christians.

What have Atheists had to say about that?

Well Many things, like explaining why George Washington’s first order of business was to distribute BIBLES, CHRISTIAN BIBLES, to all the schools so the kids could learn about and know the single most influential and celebrated life in the history of humankind Jesus Christ.

While studying the annotations that are written in the Constitution and their respective arguments as to just what this country was going to do in regard to Religion, it is UNEQUIVOCALLY, ABSOLUTLEY, CRYSTAL CLEAR that those discussions before Congress written by James Madison and some by Thomas Jefferson, were about , Episcopalians, Catholics, Presbyterians and Quakers. Albeit true some (and I mean ONLY some were "Deists" which is really saying nothing at all as even fewer were Atheist's. As much as Atheists would claim this is untrue or cite that stupid treaty of Tripoli conveniently leaving out the last and most compelling paragraph, it is when anyone actually studies that paragraph; we begin to see why they leave it out.

The Idea that Truth is what is true for you but not for me or, like this genius who responded to my last post saying " I still don't get it" or the one I didn't even bother with he is that much a lost cause and that much a waste of time.

It is getting so easy to use their own Semantic "Slippery Speak" against them or I might engage in the most asinine exercise and debate with those believing willful ignorance and circumlocution is the way to better understanding and how to win arguments on ATS.

ATS isn't a place to deny ignorance, it is a Zoo of terminally self righteous religious zealots, Ayn Rand Wannabe's, Noam Chomsky's Butt Lovers and Obama Wanna PLaya Haters who defend the President elect right or wrong and still think his wanting to pass a trillion dollar "stimulus" package has nothing to do with Socialism or the ridiculous mantra for change. Or that it was about change for the better because Obama loves this country.

Obama like his wife does not love this country, he loves the country he wants to change it into and that country with respect for God and religion has a worldview, without you.

I guess I could cite the arguments that to this day are still going on between Christians and Atheists but I must say that while many think the Church is dying in the real world, where attendance has been diminished, it has grown exponentially among online fellowship and online Church's where they are being taught new ideas and new tactics to get people to wake up and see the BIG PICTURE is not whether or not you "Deny Ignorance" it is whether you are denying accusations of your OWN ignorance. It is whether or not you are part of the problem using such idiotic pop psychology in your philosophies about a world without absolute truth, that you wouldn't know truth if it hit you in the face with a lead brick while they are busy denying ignorance, that have not a clue what it is or how to identify it because the FACT is, condemnation without proper investigation IS IGNORANCE.

Truth is truth and if it hurts because it might infringe on your freedom to marry your same sex lover or to feel guiltless in your next "session of love" ,, then BE ADVISED: THAT IS WHAT THE TRUTH DOES! IT HURTS! IT INSTRUCTS! IT IS NOT ABOUT AN OPINION THAT YOU ARE MORE COMFORTABLE WITH OR THAT SOUNDS MORE "PROGRESSIVE" TO YOU! .

Truth is what sets you free because it is the opposite of truth that keeps you in bondage to finite little thoughts and ideas by logical thinkers when logic knows it is logical to side with the logic that fits our worldviews.

When someone tells me, there is no truth,

I ask, is that true?

When someone tells me, there are no facts!

I ask, is that a fact?

When someone tells me, there are no absolutes!

I ask are you absolutely sure?

It isn't assuming the consequent describing a supernatural God or creator, it is by revelation passed down by a creator who cannot assume the consequent because he IS the cause for every consequence and knows every consequential decision affecting us because he knows US knowing each and every choice we will make but doesn't interfere while he watches in sorrow, how we destroy everything that he created for our benefit.

Why?

Because he does not force his love on anyone nor does, he have anything to be blamed for in the existence of both created evil and / or natural evil.

The idea of a loving God creating such agonizing human conditions and widespread evil, they say proves that a righteous God cannot exist!

I say the two unstated assumptions are false that love can be forced; and that some love is not worth enduring much hate.

Next time anyone gets into one of these silly arguments about whether or not America is a Christian Nation, Just look at it from a vantage point with the best over all perspective. Step away from the painting and see where all of it fits. I am certain what you will see, that in spite of our frailties in spite of our flawed and imperfections or our hypocrisy,,, Christians and Christianity not only gave Birth to the American Experiment and American Ideals, It has also elevated her to the Greatest Nation on the face of the planet and THAT is Undeniable. Atheist's were not even eligible to vote or testify in court back then much less have any influence as to what kind of separation their would be between the God they wanted nothing to do with and the country they would criticize for the very freedoms millions of Christians had died fighting for those same atheists enjoy.

Annotations and Scholars comments to the US Constitution on Religion.

The slow methodical destruction of Christianity and Judeo Christian Ideals in this country most which have happened in the last 50 years, by using everything from the media where the lamest extreme examples of Christianity are used to illustrate what we all look like or think like by everyone from George Bush to Barack Obama. While I cannot say for sure Obama is a Christian or not approving of infanticide and a pastor that rants and raves about how to hate white people, is a good indicator but it is ONLY an indicator. That George Bush is why God and Politics does mix suggesting we can not trust the religious is like saying Jesus should never trust accountants knowing Judas was going to throw him under the bus, is exactly the reason God used his choices he would make to fulfill the promise of the blood ransom he paid to free us from the mistakes of disobedience. We have no idea why George Bush is so stupid but Christ died for the stupid but we have no idea how he works and how he uses our mistakes if in fact that is what they are for our good.

The favored Nation is the Nation that is blessed because its God is the Lord. This country has lost that status and has been falling since the day we took prayer out of School, the Bible out of Philosophy and made God irrelevant using the Atheist Religion of Evolution masquerading as Science accusing any and all other theory of NOT being science while it was the argument of Clarence Darrow that NO theory should EVER be excluded from Science and Darwin’s foot getting in the door has kept a divine foot from ever getting back in the door.

History has been revised on the internet by the Atheist Zombie who would rather condemn their soul in a blaspheme challenge than do what it takes to prove God exists by taking the God challenge and coming as a child wanting to know him and meet him in a flesh host symbiotic relationship.

Nope

They will NOT even go there!

BUT THEY WILL GET THAT FREE MOVIE OF "THE GOD THAT WASN'T THERE" chanting some prayer denouncing the holy spirit alone in there room as if the holy spirit was something as important as,, oh say,, Santa Clause or the Flying Spaghetti Monster or Zeus or Thor yet when it comes to things we all know are myths and made up, it is the God of Abraham the man Christ Jesus we see as the one most reviled and Christians the most to blame for everything from bigotry toward gays to the reason the crusades happened or hell you name it and God did it. Hell Atheists say God did it so much when it comes to blaming Christians you would think they believed in creationism over that Darwinian Dimwitted Dogma called Evolution.

The day comes when everyone, if not in this life but in the life here after, will call on the lord. Sometimes we have been extraordinarily blessed in life and have been a Christian in the beginning before that success. People like Winfrey or Travolta, and like the two of them, Success and the idea that God might be jealous of that success or that, they are their own evolving God, that all paths lead to God.

I have seen many too blind to see saying my faith is blind, I have seen those who have criticized my intolerance to what none of us can truly tolerate and that is, watching our fellow man continue down an ever increasing acceptance to depravity, secularism and the ideals of socialism while teaching our Children not only that it is OK to be Gay but how hot it is to be in a homosexual circle jerk.

You think I am kidding.

The State of Mass. publishes that very pamphlet for kids in public schools and it was an idea promoted and made possible through the gay community without the objections of the spineless idiots now running our pathetic clergy and Church's. They have also been infected by sin, greed, sex and the political cowardice called political correctness in compliance to the new excuses for thought crimes and the methodical destruction for freedom of speech and a new type of voter fraud led by the MSM and the public opinion polluters of ATS who call disapproval of these debased actions, bigotry and hatred.

Ironically, a day comes when the need of God is so overwhelmingly important, we call out to him in spite of our silly ideas God is not or that we are all our own God, as John Travolta did. John, who was seen by the first emt's on scene, frantically trying to revive his dying son, calling out to God,, saying "God please please help me." "Help me God" .

I wonder,, if it was the same one he once knew named Jesus Christ and traded for the one, named,

L. Ron Hubbard.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by Aermacchi]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Wow, that was quite a read. I don't mean that in a condescending or distasteful sense. You seem very strong in your convictions, and I wonder if you would entertain a few thoughts / questions.

First I agree that the further towards socialism, or any system that destroys the will of people to love, is a bad thing.

The use of schools to promote one political viewpoint over the other is another example of cowardice perpetrated by the older generations. Instead of producing a healthy environment for our children, who are probably the last vestige of innocence in this world, certain people feel the need to mentally impregnate them with their own ideals. It is as if there are those who believe that immortality can be gained through a copy and paste of their views into the youth. The only true way for a person to grow into a healthy adult is to be given a chance to decide what is right for them, not what can be sold as trendy at the time. The truest path (whatever you define it as) has no fear of competition. That which is good will prevail over that which is bad, always has and always will.

I would like to present my thoughts on God. I cannot tell you, one way or the other, if such a being exists. This is not because of a hatred for all things religious. It would be quite arrogant of me to assume that such a deity could not be. Comparably, I also find it arrogant to boldly profess God's existence without due evidence. It is true that what humans define as evidence cannot come close to examining that of the spiritual world. So maybe a better way to say it is I cannot, in good conscience, espouse the greatness of a Lord that I am not positive in my heart is real. Call me thick but when I look out my window I don't conclusively see the work of God. I also don't see the utter lack of God, but still.

Finally on the question of the US being a Christian nation. In my religious viewpoint I am glad to see the growth of secular ideas. That may seem contradictory, but let me give you this case. In the Islamic world where a belief in Islam is forced onto people, I feel that it is an affront to the religion. To be forced to worship without truly having to make the choice on God sends the message that the religion, on its own merit, doesn't hold water. To me it is paramount to be tempted with the goods of the materialistic world. Even if a person falters and strays from the path of righteousness, they have the opportunity to work their way back to what is true.

That is what I think most atheists truly fear. It is not the existence of God that frightens them, it is the possibility that their free-will shall be taken from them by the state in order to “prove” Christianity. I am not sure but I believe that God gave us free will in order for us to grow with our experiences, and from that we will grow closer to Him.

Again I will not pretend to have full faith in God, for that would be deceit of the highest order. I just wanted you to know (and you might already know) that a lack of faith in the Lord is not always a complete rejection of His teachings. Just as Thomas doubted the resurrection, there are those who will believe only after they have seen. It is true that “blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed”. What gives me solace though is that both of the cases above end in the same fashion: belief.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Missed my flight...

Got to ATS late...

Sorry...

Got this from one of "my boys" who worked for me...back in the day...

Thought it apropo...

A West VA Guide to the 10 Commandments....

In its simplicity, I find wisdom...

= = = =

The Hillbilly's Ten Commandments (posted on the wall at First Baptist Church in Summersville , West Virginia )

(1) Just one God
(2) Put nothin' before God
(3) Watch yer mouth
(4) Git yourself to Sunday meetin'
(5) Honor yer Ma &Pa
(6) No killin'
(7) No foolin' around with another fellow's gal
(8) Don't take what ain't yers
(9) No tellin' tales or gossipin'
(10) Don't be hankerin' for yer buddy's stuff

= = = = =

Now that's kinda plain an' simple, don't ya think?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
reply to post by SonOfChaos

If you asked me, I would say the problem is that people who are religious, especially Christian, tend to look down on people who don't have the same religion, or who lack one.

OT says James 3:17 is what Christianity is about! "But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy."

Any thing short of that is either decieved, or very immature!

OT striving to be...

peaceable,

gentle,

reasonable,

full of mercy

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfChaos

DID YOU KNOW?
Every session of Congress begins with a prayer by a paid preacher, whose salary has been paid By the taxpayer since 1777.

That dude must be ancient!!

?

Yeah, OT too...

Last time I checked, OT smarter than when he was young....same 4u2, right?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revealation
Here's a little info I came across on the subject of religion and America. Interesting read

Library of Congress

Revealation, whats up man?!!!!!!

The above link is absolutely Re-freakin-refutable!!!

Nice find.....OT thanks you!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join