It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US court to address Iraq immunity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   

US court to address Iraq immunity

www.news.com.au

THE US Supreme Court has agreed to hear arguments on whether the Iraqi Government has immunity to lawsuits filed in US courts for alleged misdeeds committed under Saddam Hussein's regime.

American plaintiffs suing Iraq are seeking compensation from the current Iraqi Government for emotional distress they said they suffered when their fathers were in custody under the Saddam regime.

A date has not yet been set for the hearing.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
This has me giggling. I can't stand laws, most are pathetic and defy common sense.

So, relatives of US people, captured by the old Iraq regime, want to sue the current Iraq government for the distress they suffered, while their relations were being imprisoned under Saddam???

What does the current Iraq government have to do with Saddam? Didn't the USA hang Saddam, smash up his ruling party and install their own puppet government?

Now the Supreme Court has to make a ruling on twist that Bush signed off in 2003, as to whether or not Iraq is now immune to lawsuits.

That makes my head spin.

If the US ex-detainees can sue the Iraq government, then will the innocent ex-Gitmo detainees be allowed to sue Bush and Cheney?

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-1-2009 by tezzajw]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
At this point, I would see NO problem in 'ordinary people' finding a way to take advantage of the spoils before the sinking ship goes down.

What I mean, is that the already uber-rich have been given insane amounts of cash in the form of 'bailouts' and just plain taking advantage of consumers... Why not the rest of us try and get a little something, too? Especially after ALL that money taxpayers put into Iraq! Wouldn't it make sense for a couple of ordinary people to make out with a little something, for once??

Eh... Actually, I agree with you. This lawsuit sounds stupid.

new topics

join