It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Time Travel Experiment

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Ok, I got a grasp on what his idea is but to keep my thoughts simple in my little pea-brain mind he's trying to spin a laser upon itself or to creat a tunnel of light. To me the laser is a constant upon itself. So as to never be able to catch up with itself. The space within the circle is an enity within itself. Now what this guy had to say-

"It is an interesting idea; but in my opinion it would be impossible to go back in time and have a physical effect in present or future like the "grandfather paradox". But it might be possible to develop a device that would allow us seeing the past like video a taped footage."
Sinan, New York

This to me would make more sense if you were able to achieve faster than light capabilities. You would not be able to be there physically but in a parallel dimension so to speak. So maybe in your OP you were there.
Now if your going to try and explain quantum physics or string theories to me, please type real slow so that I may understand it.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Atronauts in the ISS if up there for long enough travel back in time,the clocks on earth and the ISS differ i think.So people have already travelled back in time if only for 0.0001 seconds..cant remember the exact number but its silly low.As for this thread...

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by geo1066

No, I don't get into string theory, I don't pretend to understand it, and from what I have read those who propose string theory also don't understand it. Most of the theories like string theory, dark matter, dark energy, etc. were designed to account for some problem with our current perspective on the Universe. These theories are unproven, because they are unprovable and their flaws will eventually be shown.

My background is math and computer graphics. So, I have a pretty good understanding of 3D space and how to represent it in 2D. So I tend to think that the Universe is made up of multiple dimensions and that we only interact with 3 of them. The Universe that we see is made up of height, width, and thickness, and that is what we comprehend best.

Time is something that we don't really see, we see only the effects of the passage of time. So from our perspective there are two directions, forward and backward. We think this about time, because this is what we see with the 3 dimensions that we are familiar with.

However, as you and I know, when we interact in 3D we have more to consider than just forward and backward. We can alter our path to the right, left, up, or down, to get where we want to go. When I do this, I can move around obstacles, visit mulitple places, or work out the most efficient route. We can do this without disturbing other objects or creating any paradoxes with those objects.

I think that the true nature of time is something like that. There are more dimensions than one and so more directions than just forward and backward. I don't think that time paradoxes are any more real than paradoxes in our 3D space. If I am sitting in a room, all objects are present in that room simultaneously and I can interact with any of them that I choose usually without causing any problem, unless I break something.

If time is multidimensional, then everything in history is present at the same time and I could, in theory, interact with any of the objects there at any time they are present, without causing any paradox, unless I break some rule.

I think that Quantum Mechanics has stumbled upon part of this idea, but has not yet grasped the full meaning of it. Physicists learned a long time ago that objects at the quantum level do strange things. An electron for example does not seem to exist at any particular place or time, instead it exists at all potential locations simultaneously according to the probablilities for it to exist at a particular location. This discovery resulted in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and the Schroedinger equations, which revolutionized chemistry, physics, and even mathematics. I won't get into the equations here.

To me, what it means is that time is multidimensional and that the electron is able to interact with time in the same way that we interact in 3D. All probabilities exist simultaneously because time is not linear, there is no real before and after, only parts of a much bigger whole that we percieve on a straight line. At any rate, the points on a timeline that we see are only a very small part of the whole.

Taking the grandfather paradox, could you travel back in time and kill your grandfather without altering the future? The answer is yes you could, because all probabilities exist simultaneiously. There is a certain probability that you would kill your grandfather, and as long as your actions did not break the rules of probability, then there would be no paradox. Doing your grandfather in, would simply take you to a different place in our timespace, a place where your grandfather was killed, or did not exist at all. To me, it would look like you jumped to a different timeline, but in fact nothing has really changed, only your location in time.

What would that look like to an outside observer? I don't know. Maybe you would be a different gender, or have different genes, or maybe you would not exist either on their timeline. You would in reality however, still exist but your presence in time might be obscured to the observer, until you traveled back to a part of the room where you intersect his timeline. That would look very different to the observer, but to you, you would not notice anything different at all. To you, it would look like you moved across the room and then back.

I think that the theory of relativity actually supports this view. As you pointed out, traveling close to the speed of light time travels more slowly for me, compared to someone who is not traveling as fast. If I actually reach the speed of light, then time seems to stand still and I don't age at all, compared with the rest of the Universe that is not traveling at the speed of light. For me though, time seems to progress normally, and I see no difference at all. This is simply a matter of altered perspective.

If I have a pair of dice in my hand, I can alter my perspective to look down the edge of one of the dice. The edge seems to shorten to my perspective, and if I look directly down the edge it looks like a point. The dice did not change shape however, what changed was my perspective of it. If an object is traveling very fast, my perspective of it as it relates to time changes, but in reality nothing has changed for the object. For the object, time has remained constant and everything is normal.

For me, this is evidence that time is in fact multidimensional. Moving faster, just takes you to a different location in time, relative to other objects. Just like moving around my room faster and faster, simply changes my location relative to the other objects in the room. There is in fact no real change to anything in the room.

Now the last part. What we see of ourselves and our Universe is just that part that intersects our own perspective on our timeline. Every possibility for every object in the Universe exists simultaneously. Our star, exists as it is, but also as a white dwarf, or a black dwarf, or a red giant, and every other possible combination.

We are much bigger than what we percieve, every decision we made, every choice, and every possible outcome for us, exists and is a part of us. There is a part of me that died in the womb, or that died in infancy, there is a part of me that is homeless and a part that is rich, there is a part of me that is a father, and a part of me that is a criminal. What I see though is an unbroken chain of events that make up the part of my reality that I can see. If I could see all of time, then I would see all of the possibilities as well. If I could travel in time, then I could visit those other parts of my being without altering the reality of the whole.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Thank you very much for typing so slowly and keeping it at a 101 course level for me. My thoughts on the demension of light tend to be a bit on the tunnel vision side. My first thought was that if you phyically exist in a particular demension then what would be the theory on existing in another demension simutaniously? I really need to soak all of this in because my next thought was about what the gentleman from New York had to say about seeing time like a video stream. That video stream would be physically in this time frame. I better stop now and digest this slowly. Thanks again for getting my stagnate brain cells moving again.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Hey I actually know of a video that is relevant to this subject. The first time machine ever built. Check it out.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Thanks for posting that. That was Dr. Mallet in the video and I hope that he does finish his time machine. Can you imagine if he succeeded in sending a few particles back in time, or forward?

I think that he is mistaken though about not being able to see his father. If time is multidimensional then he would be able to interact with his father in a dimension where he did not die.

The exact nature of the Universe is something that physicists have been struggling with for decades but they may be getting closer. Here is a link to a story that broke last fall that says that the Universe may actually have 57 dimensions and 248 elementary particles. I don't know if the new theory accounts for a mutidimensional representation of time but who knows what they will learn from it?

www.telegraph.co.uk... ng.html

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
News Article: Readings Show Four Corners Marker off by 2.5 Miles

abcnews.go.com...

The Four Corners Monument is actually 2.5 miles west of the actual Four Corners! Perhaps you and your future self were at the wrong places at the same time!!!

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

Thanks for posting that! I enjoyed your U2U about this.

Yes, it is possible I guess that in the future that the true location of four corners causes the Government to move the monument.

Then the relocation becomes an obscure bit of trivia in the near future and is lost to my future self.

Well, the best laid plans of mice and men.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by lunarminer

Glad i could help! When I saw it on the news I immdiately thought of your post. I definately think it puts an interesting twist to your story!

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by lunarminer
What I did was, I made a pact with myself that if time travel was perfected within my lifetime, then I would use it to travel back in time to meet myself. I know this violates the time travel paradox, but frankly I don't buy into the paradox.

Funny. Earth humons have a silly sci-fi notion of what time travel is.

You can't somehow magically add more matter and energy to the universe as it already was yesterday. If you could travel back to meet yourself yesterday, where would that extra matter and energy for two of you come from? Wouldn't that create an imbalance in the amount of matter and energy that existed yesterday?

Imagine if this sci-fi version of time travel were possible. Why, I could become instantly wealthy and infinitely powerful. I could take that gold coin I've held onto for 20 years and travel back a minute ago with it to grab that me and that coin that hadn't left for the past yet, thus doubling myself and my coins. And then I could travel back to a minute before that and grab another me and another coin and have tripled myselves and my coins, and then do it again and again and again, over and over until I massed a huge pile of identical gold coins .. and a huge army of myselves. Why, I could take over the world 20 years ago, ha.

This sci-fi version of time travel, of replicating matter by moving it back in time is quite impossible .. and quite funny. Of course, there is a kind of time travel that is real .. and that involves sending information back in time to yourself. You can send information back in time, but not matter. Some people have accomplished this accidentally without knowing they had done so (which explains déjà vu and premonitions). Some people are already purposely doing this in order to take advantage of various situations.

These sci-fi ideas and stories of material time travel are pretty humorous and entertaining though, like watching those old school sci-fi movies. Imagine though if you could send matter back in time. Why if that were possible, we could all become wealthy inside of a week. We could replicate and create matter and energy where it hadn't existed before yesterday. Of course, that idea of sending matter back in time is quite impossible, but it's fun to think about. Imagine the pile of gold you could create with just a little bit of gold. Imagine the army of YOUS that you could create and use to your advantage.

Sci-fi time travel is just that, sci-fi .. but you can send info from yourself to yourself back in time, I've already proven that for myself. It's quite easy to do, and you don't need a machine to do so.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by lunarminer

It's not wacky at all I did a similar time travel experience but it was more mental and it worked. I did the same thing you did, But mine was a thought. I had to memorize a year, day, and time, that I would be waiting for a message from myself a thought from myself that would give me information that would convince me that I indeed new the future or was from the future. So I had to think of a date that I could remember for the rest of my life. The date was 9/15/05 so I prepared to do it the next day. because it would be 9/16 like the socket. So I also waited till 9:16pm cause it would be easy to remember. So On 9/16/05 at 9:16 PM I would be waiting with an open mind for information from myself. I went out side to have a cigarette so I could focus and so my wife wouldn't think I was going nuts.

Suddenly at 9:16 I had a thought "The frogs are gonna stop" I thought, "What, the frogs are gonna stop, what frogs?" I didn't understand what it meant. Then I began to focus on the sound outside and noticed it was a symphony of frogs croaking. They had been doing it the whole time I didn't even notice, I was so used to it. Then suddenly only half were croaking, then only ten, then two, then one, then it was dead silently for ten seconds. Suddenly I heard one, then two, then ten, then it was all of them again.

It blew my mind. I had performed many more after that not all successful but each time I learned what, and what not to do to get better results. You don't want to pick a time that is uneventful, and you won't be able to ask yourself questions that can alter your destiny.

I believe that psychic ability can be learned through a simple formula like this and anyone can do it. telekinetic can probably work the same we just have to learn the process/formula.

;[>

[edit on 21-4-2009 by The Real Antichrist]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join