It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 to 4.3 Billion Barrels of Technically Recoverable Oil Assessed 25 Times More Than 1995 Estimate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
The U.S. Geological Service issued a report in April ('08) that only scientists and oilmen knew was coming, but man was it big. It was a revised report (hadn't been updated since '95) on how much oil was in this area of the western 2/3 of North Dakota; western South Dakota; and extreme eastern Montana ... check THIS out:
The Bakken is the largest domestic oil discovery since Alaska 's Prudhoe Bay , and has the potential to eliminate all American dependence on foreign oil. The Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates it at 503 billion barrels. Even if just 10% of the oil is recoverable... at $107 a barrel, we're looking at a resource base worth more than $5.3 trillion.
'When I first briefed legislators on this, you could practically see their jaws hit the floor. They had no idea.' says Terry Johnson, the Montana Legislature's financial analyst.
'This sizable find is now the highest-producing onshore oil field found in the past 56 years,' reports The Pittsburgh Post Gazette. It's a formation known as the Williston Basin , but is more commonly referred to as the 'Bakken.' And it stretches from Northern Montana, through North Dakota and into Canada . For years, U.S.oil exploration has been considered a dead end. Even the 'Big Oil' companies gave up searching for major oil wells decades ago. However, a recent technological breakthrough has opened up the Bakken's massive reserves... and we now have access of up to 500 billion barrels. And because this is light, sweet oil, those billions of barrels will cost Americans just $16 PER BARREL! That's enough crude to fully fuel the American economy for 41 years straight.
[And if THAT didn't throw you on the floor, then this next one should - because it's from TWO YEARS AGO, people!]
U.S.Oil Discovery- Largest Reserve in the World!
Stansberry Report Online - 4/20/2006 Hidden 1,000 feet beneath the surface of the Rocky Mountains lies the largest untapped oil reserve in the world is more than 2 TRILLION barrels. On August 8, 2005 President Bush mandated its extraction.
They reported this stunning news: We have more oil inside our borders, than all the other proven reserves on earth. Here are the official estimates:

-8-times as much oil as Saudi Arabia
-18-times as much oil a s Iraq
-21-times as much oil as Kuwait
-22-times as much oil as Iran
-500-times as much oil as Yemen- and it's a ll right here in the Western United States .
HOW can this BE? HOW can we NOT BE extracting this!? Because the democrats, environmentalists and left wing republicans have blocked all efforts to help America become independent of foreign oil.
James Bartis, lead researcher with the study says we've got more oil in this very compact area than the entire Middle East -more than 2 TRILLION barrels. Untapped. That's more than all the proven oil reserves of crude oil in the world today, reports The Denver Post.
Don't think 'OPEC' will drop its price - even with this find? Think again! It's all about the competitive marketplace, - it has to.
Got your attention/ire up yet? Hope so! Now, while you're thinking about it ... and hopefully P.O'd, do this:
Pass this along, tell everyone you know.. If you don't take a little time to do this, then you should stifle yourself the next time you want to complain about gas prices .. because by doing NOTHING, you've forfeited your right to complain. These fuel prices will not last forever folks, they will rise again, bet in the "Near" future as well.
Now I just wonder what would happen in this country if every one of you told this to every one in our Nation? Not everyone has a membership here at the ATS forums, so make this an "Outside" and verbal topic of discussion, there is no reasons for an American to pay excruciating prices for fuel with these kinds of reserves at our beck and call. "Peace to you all"

www.usgs.gov...

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Where did you get two trillion? The article only says 3 to 4 billion barrels recoverable.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
What are the project production rates, you can have all the oil in the world in the ground but if it only comes out at a trickly it doesn't help the supply that much. I heard that the field is only pumping about 75,000 BOPD and may only ramp up by 3x at the most. Just a drop in the bucket, see link below:

Bakken Production

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I got an e-mail from a friend that is in the transferring business, he had e-mailed me what he had gotten from a Geologist that was privy to the find, initially I was going to title the thread , "What the Government doesn't want you to know about USA's oil reserves" but I couldn't post the page sent to me without giving vital and personal information, he had stated that it was about some kind of new "Light and Location Drilling effects" which have been hush hush about it's actual size of the reserve discovered.
Tell me how to do the "E-mail Post thing" and I will retrieve it for you all.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I would say it is not being extracted because the policy is to keep it for reserve. First use the military to take the cheap oil in Iraq, Australia, Vietnam and South America, then try to exploit some other less advanced countries for their oil.
When all the "other" oil in the world is about finished, the US will have its BIG reserve at home.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
This refers to so many other threads on this site. Our corrupt congress bows to lobbiests rather than the will of the people. They do what is best for big oil, big pharm, big whatever, rather than what is best for the country. As soon as the price of oil dropped, so did the pressure to drill here drill now stop. Drill here. Drill NOW! We have the technology, and it will not be nearly as expensive now as it will in 10 years.
I love nature, but until we can develop alternative sources of energy, especially cheaper ones, screw it. Drill off shore! Drill in ANWR! NOW!

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Waldy

With all the crap going on in the world of "Declaring War" in so many places, that is exactly what popped into my mind.
If there was an all out "WWIII" the US would be sitting rather pretty for a good supply of this natural resource, but "Could our government be so devious as to pre-plan such events?"

I went to the USGS sight you provided mel1962, I couldn't find anything there either. The individual who sent this to me has been a friend for a long time, don't think he is pulling one over on me, just e-mailed him to double check his side of teh story of being BS or the real deal. Shouldn't be too long, I'll post teh truth , if it is a practical joke or something, I will make formal apologies, but like I had said "My friend isn't one to have ever done that before."
Always a first time though, he is a good SH**!!

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Here is a 'cut and paste' of the mesage he sent:

No , I don't think there is a way too prove it right now, I am in Southern Michigan right now and the guy that told me about it and sent me the info. I sent you could be anywhere, only see him once in a while, but he was damn convencing with his explanation of the whole thing.
I'm not a geologist Bill. And I am sorry for the delay. Don't know what to tell ya.
If I hear from or see him again, you will get the answers As soon as I get them.
But far as I can tell, they have a lot of welss in that general area, ya know, SD, Wy, Nb, so I don't think he is lieing either.
Later days man, and write soon,
Scooter

Sorry I guy's I can't confirm this being fact, but then again, like I had said before, "This guy usually doesn't joke about thing's like this."

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Whether this story is true or not, you all might want to check out the Bureau of Land Management website. They auction off oil and gas leases every 4 months. It might be worth buying a lease or two, just in case.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

HOW can this BE? HOW can we NOT BE extracting this!? Because the democrats, environmentalists and left wing republicans have blocked all efforts to help America become independent of foreign oil.

These people don't care about getting the US off foreign oil they want us off ALL OIL.

They want to drive us back to pre industrial times.

They KNOW that we can not run industry with wind and solar alone.

they want all industry exported to china and india.

Whether this story is true or not, you all might want to check out the Bureau of Land Management website. They auction off oil and gas leases every 4 months. It might be worth buying a lease or two, just in case.

Then the real fun would begin trying to get the permits to drill, there are a lot of oil leases out there that they can not get the permits to drill on because the treehuggers have blocked them.

[edit on 9-1-2009 by ANNED]

[edit on 9-1-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
You said:

Then the real fun would begin trying to get the permits to drill, there are a lot of oil leases out there that they can not get the permits to drill on because the treehuggers have blocked them.

That is really true, right now, but do you remember all the tap dancing that Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid did, talking about leases that were not being drilled?

I am betting that we see oil prices above $120 per barrel again, in about a year. When that happens, they will have to put up, or shut up, and allow new drilling on existing leases.

On the other hand, Obama may take a page from Bill Clinton's book and declare the entire region a National Wildlife Refuge. That would lock up the oil for good.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
[REPLY TO: Button , "Down again!!! DAMN IT!!)

To lunarminer:

I come from this area of discussion, and there has been some serious Hub-bub over this scenario of oil reserves being piped from a so called "Canadian" reserve. The Hyperion Oil company has tried to sway the bureaucracy of the SD people into allowing a pipeline through the state and there are the "Locals" that are all up in arms over this event taking place, so there is a lot of "Anti-Drilling" thing's going on for this to take place.

On the other hand, Obama may take a page from Bill Clinton's book and declare the entire region a National Wildlife Refuge. That would lock up the oil for good.

With that statement, I think you hit the proverbial "Nail on the Head", because most of the cries are all related to the fundamentalism of "EPA" evaluations and thoughts.

S.D. voters pass rezoning for Hyperion refinery
"There's probably a hundred pressure points that they have to pass through," said Ed Cable of Citizens Opposed to Oil Pollution, which currently has a lawsuit pending against the rezoning decision, Cable said.

www.reuters.com...

Now, like I had said before, "This has been in the "talk Session" for about a year and a half, or so. This would be something else to have such a commerce oriented situation to have happen to our area, it would bring jobs and the ramifications would be money making to say the least.
On another note:

This an initial understanding of this project back from 2006, it is basically the PR of the Hyperion Co. to persuade the SD people of it's importance to the state as a whole, though it didn't get far, there have been other issues that have arisen with Hyperion itself, but you will see as I give you all a quick trip through this situation.

SOUTH DAKOTA: Hyperion pledges 'clean' refinery - Opponents say there's 'no such thing'

The company claims to have purchase options on about 10,000 acres in southern Union County. Bob Frieberg, a Beresford, S.D., attorney who represents the company, said it will apply to rezone other land for various other uses as it becomes necessary.

www.gcmonitor.org...

This email from one of my sources on the Hyperion “green” refinery project got stranded in my in-box because of court and the holidays. While a couple of weeks old, I think it is still worth posting.

The emailer’s bottom line: With all the changes in the petroleum industry (i.e., low prices), potential changes in the auto industry (like cares that use less or no gas), and upcoming changes in D.C. (Yea! The Man Crush!), the already shaky Hyperion (f/k/a Gorilla) Project in Union County look less likely than ever.

There are 'Misspelled words in he above statement, but left them as they were for validity of said "E-mail" transaction for our readers of this thread.

These are the latest communications as of Jan. 2009 from this website.

thunewatch.squarespace.com...

Now, I have shown you the evidence of the 'Major' oil Co. has had their attempt in trying to run a pipeline "Through" South Dakotas, there is another issue.
Though Texas is basically below South Dakota geographically, there raises another issue of the current reserves discovered in South Dakota's borders, and a possible "Conspiracy" to trick SD and it's political assembly into a possible "Land permit" that would allow Hyperion to sell off the rights for other uses.

Hyperion to turn SD into a dump site?
From the Argus Leader: our local news paper here in SE SD. and most read across the state.[ This is Allred5923 information given in quote]

The head of a group opposing the planned Hyperion oil refinery in Union County suggests it might really be a front for a series of landfills to bury trash from the East Coast - information that surely will add more fuel to a public hearing on the refinery that is glowing white hot.

sibbyonline.blogs.com...

Even though Hyperion is recognized as a "Trash Collector" kind of Co. there raises the question of 'Credibility' of the Hyperion Co. doing other and less attractive things to this general area. And which, at least up to this very day, has caused so many arguments over the possible inceptions of this becoming a reality for SD citizens and possible shifting of part of the state itself. They (Hyperion) would be sole land owners of a large chunk of SE SD were these allegations to be true for their personal scrutiny and demises.

Union Co. is located at teh far SE end of SD, it is quite a distance from the initial area of the reserve itself, but and if by chance (I will give you the meaning of that shortly) the reserve was , lets say "Even Bigger" than what has been disclosed by the USGS< and it did run as far as the SE corner of SD, "Wouldn't it be a great cover up using the Canadian reserve acqusations and excuses, and the pipelines direction of flow for the Canadian reserve to be able to extract both the Canadian and SD oils with no obvious land marks otehr than "The Union Co. refinery"?"

This is why I say this,
" I talked to my friend via telephone today, he told me he was calling to let me know the meaning he was trying to get across to me over this event. It wasn't for the USGS's assessment point's of views, it was it's lack of revamping their claims adn not showing the actual "Re-Assessment " maps that are the true topigraphical locastions and exspansions of the reserve in these areas."

That, my friends, "Blew my mind!!' If there ever was something to question of these events, and I am only going by word of mouth and confidential informant kind of methods, it changes the topical situation into an other worldly point of 'Deceipt and Deception" for both the People of the USA and the Great State of South Dakota.

I am still researching to see if anything has "Slipped the Grid" so to speak of this being a factual event, I have not researched Montana or Nebraska as of yet, but I will be looking at this possible cou da tau oil refinery business as nothing short of it's act "Conspiracy".

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
It urns out the there were otehr attempts to build the refinery in the Kansas area as well, but du eto carbon emmisiions and through teh EPA agenda, it would be "Unsuitable" fo rteh state to host a massive product of EPA resistance and possible ramifications of the anticipated location in Kansas.
Which, geographically, is right above the state of Texas as well, a straight line right to Texas, they are really on the vangaurd of building this refinery, "Makes me question why Texas and why not build another depot closer to reserves?"

On Oct. 19, 2007, Rod Bremby, secretary of the Kansas Department of Health and Environment, announced he was denying an air-quality permit for the 1,400-megawatt expansion of a power plant outside Holcomb in Finney County that was sought by Sunflower Electric Power Corp. He cited dangers posed by the plant's projected 11 million tons of carbon dioxide emissions, a greenhouse gas many scientists link to global warming.

findarticles.com...

I found the above information whilst searching for the Hyperion Nebraska connection, which doesn't say much more than "They were there to, and still are." validation, for you the reader.
Now, as I figuring out how to validate all these claims, I decided to start from the Canadian aspects and future involvements of the oil producing "Sledge" that has been proported to be a time consuming adn energy using method for "Oil Sand" refineries.
Most of teh EPA's involvements with these 'Outcome' scenarios are basically the same when it comes to the "Pollution Credits" of each place for Hyperion's hopeful sights, but they do follow a straight path from Canada thru the USA right to the Texas city of Dallas Fort Worth area.[Or at least in the immediate areas.]

A Flood of Canadian Oil in Production
With the threat of countries nationalizing their resources, big oil companies are having a harder time replacing their reserves. Many of them, however, are looking north to the vast Canadian resources. And the last time I checked, Canada's agenda wasn't to pull a Chavez and snatch its oil resources from under producers' feet.
When we're talking about Canadian crude flowing to the U.S., there are two specific places investors should focus on. Over the next few years, nearly three million barrels of oil per day from the Alberta oil sands will be flowing into the U.S. (Canada estimates production will reach 2.7 million barrels per day by 2015). Granted, extracting and upgrading the heavy bitumen is an energy-intensive process. But as technology improves, that process will become more efficient. Believe me, if companies were able to stay around throughout $20/bbl oil, they'll thrive when oil hits $120 a barrel.
Remember Shell's trouble with Russia? Not surprisingly, the only way Shell was able offset the loss of its Sakhalin-2 reserves was by gaining assets in the Canadian oil sands.

But Alberta's oil sands are only part of the production picture.

Over the last couple of months, I've been talking a lot about how the Bakken formation is the fastest growing oil play in the U.S. and Canada. According to the USGS, there could be up to 400 billion barrels of high-quality oil in the formation.
Okay, so the Bakken formation may not be new to my Energy and Capital readers. But it's not just an interest from producers that makes us want to jump into the Bakken play. The U.S. is preparing for this flood of Canadian oil.
In 2007, Hyperion Resources announced they were building an oil refinery in Union County, South Dakota. According to the company, the refinery would be able to handle roughly 400,000 barrels per day. It is expected to be completed by 2014.
Naturally, that's if everything goes according to plan.

www.energyandcapital.com...

The 2014 assumption seems to be the onset of the Sd based Hyperion plant, though there hasn't been any definate and accurate finalities.
As an apparent city on the short list for the Hyperion companies, it does make sence gelogically t place it there, but the mention of the "Bakken Reserves" allows mre to think that there are other intentions for the refinery that could escape public and international scrutiny whilst the Canadian oil is be refined and barreled.

South Dakota’s
$10-Billion ‘Gorilla’
The southeastern tip of South Dakota is the lone identified short-list location by JACK LYNE,
Site Selection Executive Editor of
Interactive Publishing
jack.lyne [email protected] the first new U.S. oil refinery built in more than three decades. Trumpeted as “the gold standard for all future refineries,” Hyperion Energy’s 1,800-employee operation has inched a little closer to reality.

www.siteselection.com...

I have to run right now, but will be more indepth studying of teh affiliation of the Canadian adn SD oil situation as a "Whole" of the attempt to cover up refining from the international and citizens of the USA's collect eye's and thoughts!!

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Not according to Lindsey Williams. The real reason is a Globalist plan to weaken America and "tax" us by extracting our wealth through high energy prices. Democrats, environmentalists, and 'left wing' republicans are just tools to get the job done.

Haven't read Atlas Shrugged? Atlas is shrugging now...

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Reply to:
UMayBRite, [Darn reply to button!!
]

I do find it rather interesting that the price of barrelled crude is not being elevated, but the gas prices are expected to sky-rocket with consumer perspectives thrown to the wind, one would think they (PTB's) would want to get the recession into some kind of a "Limbo" status for a time to allow our current economy to be complacent to teh civilians ways of life by way of "Cost and Expense" by the reality of "Costs and Demands", even though Obama has "Nayed" the "Mileage Tax Bill" it still seems rather redundant to have such crippling tax hikes and over zealous EPA sympathizers to create even more problems for the multitudes.

Guess, as a "Nobody" we will have to watch it either elevate to a more prosperous ideology, or cringe to the effects it could possibly create.
We, as a "Fossil Fuel Monster" will have to just pay the prices, until then, we can only "Assume" the outcome.

Couldn't really find anything more of the SD, MT, NE or ND for the Hyperion project. I have since then became aware of the employment opportunities and have been rather attracted to teh base wage and job conformity of working for such a company.
A few more months, and I will probably be working for them. "HUH? Go figure."

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
My moms family owns land in the Bakken field, with mineral rights, but they aren't racking in the cash because the oil companies aren't stupid. The oil companies knew 30-40 years ago, that technology would come available, so they could drill 1 well and get oil from under land owned by other people. (Hey we get the oil,but only have to pay half as many claims, more money for us, and they won't be any wiser) We're so smart.

I even see commercials on tv about drilling out in the ocean. the oil companies are now bragging they can extract oil from miles around one oil rig.

I read about 3 years ago about the shale deposits under Colorado, Utah and Wyoming that together held 2 trillion barrels of oil with 1 trillion recoverable. I've told friends and relatives about it. Some say I've never heard of it.

The government wants to control the worlds oil supply. If you can't see it, there is no hope. The government is corrupt to the core.

top topics

join