It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blue glow around moon?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Funny that this topic should come up.. I was looking at the moon the other night with my 70mm Telescope & saw the exact same thing. I took a picture of it..
Please keep in mind I used my cellphone to take the pic. So the quality is questionable, the pics were mainly for my own enjoyment. The same effect came out in a few other shots as well. I hadn't had my telescope setup in a while & didn't have my camera attachment handy in order to use my good Nikon for pics..

I really wonder what that's about?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
lemme clarify here. We all know for example about the little saying when there's a ring around the moon, snow's coming. But we're talking about a small barely noticable blue outline around the moon right? If so then ya, i've noticed it too just recently, good post.

optical illusion is my best guess, but then again i think i would have noticed it before. funny thing is i had this dream... it was a retarded dream, but it stressed the point that the moon was blue so i'm pretty sure its new phenomenon.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by flyindevil

i see a big bluish/whitish circle around the moon right now

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I'm a little late to this discussion, but if you wear glasses, it sounds like you're just seeing chromatic abberation, which is an optical defect in lenses that causes one end of the visible spectrum to focus at a different point than the rest (and its usually blue light that doesn't focus properly). Its very common in less expensive binoculars and telescopes as well.

[edit on 5-2-2009 by vor78]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Guess I'm little late here too, but the OP posted in early January when I also saw a halo. Have to admit, the more you look into it the more you'll find it is refraction of ice crystals. No less spectacular, though!

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
the moon is dotted with small blue glowy and larger blue glowy lights. there are various theories on what they are. aristarchus is a larger one. see it here:

www.thelivingmoon.com...

someone sent a photo of a blue moon he took with his telescope to thelivingmoon.com.
here it is

www.thelivingmoon.com...

[edit on 5-2-2009 by undo]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
If you can see the halo with the naked eye it's most likely ice or moisture in the atmosphere. With telescopes and binoculars with poor quality glass you'll get a violet "halo" due to the issues with the glass used to make the lenses. Premium telescopes use "ED" glass that removes the violet ring (this ring happens when you view bright objects). I have a number of filters usually referred to a minus violet filters that will remove the halo if it's really distracting.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I have noticed this too, just a few minutes ago today.

I'm in Sacramento. the weather:
34F, fair

UV Index: 0 Low
Wind: CALM
Humidity: 100%
Pressure: 30.15 in.
Dew Point: 34°F
Visibility: 5.0 miles

the blue caught my eye... appearing directly around the edges and only circling the moon in full at times. I was quick to second guess my vision (because I do have very good vision)... checking for a loose strand of hair in the way or the amount of moisture in my eyes (those did not factor in). but I definately saw the blue. I know this is probably a dead topic by now... but please. any more info on this would help.

another note... the weather says 34F, but it didn't feel that cold (I usually get cold very easily). I did read about the theory of moisture/ice particles in the air, but I'm not fully convinced. my logic would point to an illusionary effect due to the brightness of the moon enhanced by the amount of moisture... but I would like some more input on this before just dismissing it as that. maybe some other visual confirmation/experiences. out of everything I searched, this most accurately relates to what I have seen, though it appears different to the naked eye (though I can't trust the credibility of the source and the authenticity of the photo): photos.raditha.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I don't mean to revive such an old thread, but it saves me starting a new one. Since last night, i have been able to see this incredible blue glow around the moon. However, the way i am going to describe the situation is unusual. The moon is currently fully visible. And last night was meant to be the 'brightest, smallest moon of the year'. Anyway, if i glance at it, the moon is normal, however if i concentrated on it, in a particular manner, one that i will call 'greater squinting, without squinting the eyes'. a thick blue glow, almost 1/4 of the moons size in diameter appears around it. It's not solid and vaguely blurred. However now i just have to look at it normally and i see the glow.

This isn't the first time i have seen unusual colours/energies in my life.

I'm either hellucinating, or seeing something real. Either way im experiencing some kind of visionary image.

Just thought i'd put this out there for anyone who may have experienced something similar, do what thou wilt.

EDIT; Though i would also note, that way i was looking at the moon, i tried looking at other far away objects (light posts, mountain, plane in the sky) and i did not get any glow. If i looked at an orange light, it would slightly blur as expected from squinting in a concentrated manner, however its the same colour as the light. The reason i found this unusual is that a vibrant blue is in no way similar to the gloomy grey colour we see the moon to be.
edit on 13-10-2011 by BeforeTheHangmansNoose because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Corvinus

Nope, the moon right now is neither the furthest or closest, but its closer to apogee than perigee.
Find out here.

The most literal meaning of blue moon is when the moon (not necessarily a full moon) appears to a casual observer to be unusually bluish, which is a rare event. The effect can be caused by smoke or dust particles in the atmosphere, as has happened after forest fires in Sweden and Canada in 1950 and 1951.

The key to a blue moon is having lots of particles slightly wider than the wavelength of red light (0.7 micrometre)--and no other sizes present. This is rare, but volcanoes sometimes produce such clouds, as do forest fires. Ash and dust clouds thrown into the atmosphere by fires and storms usually contain a mixture of particles with a wide range of sizes, with most smaller than 1 micrometre, and they tend to scatter blue light. This kind of cloud makes the moon turn red; thus red moons are far more common than blue moons.

Wiki.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Huh. Now I don't know what to think.

The other night, I think two nights ago, I was a cruising home and I took a gander at the moon. I did a double take as I noticed a small bit of blue around the edge. I thought it was due to my slowly fading eyesight. Maybe not.

Not something I had ever noticed before, but there is the possibility I was just seeing things.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony
Huh. Now I don't know what to think.

The other night, I think two nights ago, I was a cruising home and I took a gander at the moon. I did a double take as I noticed a small bit of blue around the edge. I thought it was due to my slowly fading eyesight. Maybe not.

Not something I had ever noticed before, but there is the possibility I was just seeing things.

Heh, same as me really. I was in a cab on the way home from the airport after just flying in. I thought it might be because i was tired, or a glare from the window. But after winding down the glare from the window and seeing it two nights in a row... i dunno.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I'm on holiday in the north of Pakistan and I see it too. Its a retro-looking glow of blue around the moon, with that classic halo of our clouds around it. I can't take a picture. Its not an optical illusion, I even closed my eyes and stared at the wall before looking back up.
Might have something to do with the moon being so clear tonight it looks like its in 3D.
Does anyone know if the moon has any gases in it? The initial moon landing was fake, but are the current recordings fake as well?
I hope we're not alone in this universe, our 1 percenters get most of everything including the knowledge of our solar system, time warps, black holes and we're stuck wondering about the moon, and what women actually do in "hot" yoga classes. Or maybe thats just me.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: flyindevil
I've seen it before. I don't know what causes it but it's cool.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I'd say it's probably the scattering of moonlight by our atmosphere, the same thing that makes the day-time sky blue. Air molecules scatter blue part of the spectrum more strongly than the red.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: flyindevil
I just googled blue light behind the moon to see what cause this and your forum came up.. I've asked my friends and family and I'm the only one that sees it.. I thought I was going crazy.. Thank you!

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Atmospheric light scattering, depending on the conditions you can also see two moons, just like when your one beer over

edit on 20-4-2016 by Drazzl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 07:00 AM
link   
its the moons aura i have a great relationship with her i moon gaze for one hour a night when its a fullmoon you can send signals with your third eye towards the moon and ask it to do/or get stuff for you but dont just imagine sending the signal you have to feel it you must observe the moon for long periods of time she is conscious make a relation ship with her

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 02:26 AM
link   
flyindevil my question might be absurde but do you have ADHD or Bipolar disorder?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join