It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the physical world an illusion?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
That is a great question. The truth is I dont know the answer but I will tell you what I believe. I believe that the "physical is more or less an illusion.As had been said, the universe is just a bunch of eletric signals that our brain interprets. In other words the world is what you make of it.

Perception plays a big part in our lives.

There is a quote that comes to mind, that I read in a book. For the life of me I cant recall the title of the book though. The quote has always stuck with me. Its just one of those things that you hear every now and then that just ring of truth.

The quote being " The physical is just an illusion, It is in thought where reality lies"

Thats not the quote word for word but its close enough.

I may not have helped much here, but I just wanted to add my two cents. I believe that the "physical" is more or less (for lack of a better word) an illusion.

Over the years that is just one of the "truths" that I have settled upon that just feel right to me. Thats the only reason I can really offer for why I believe that. It just feels, in my heart, to be the truth.

[edit on 13-1-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I can identify with that, how we know things are the "truth"--
if we are individual expressions of the universe, then it seems to me that perception is reality in the fullest sense, and if we are capable as human beings of wonderful works or despicable acts, the trick to all of it is simply one of balance.

I find in my life I have had to work extra hard at focusing on positivity to myself and others, because devious things come to me too easily and my karmic retribution never fails. but the moments when you can feel that you are living some kind of truth...(which to me is simply kindness and compassion for other beings)

If you want the world to be a paradise, it will be a paradise. If you want the world to be a toilet, it will be a toilet. Spin can be applied to anything. In my mind, magic is nothing more than psychological manipulation. Sublime Absurdity.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I made an error dbates.

Can we delete this, please ? Thanks.

[edit on 09/1/13 by C-JEAN]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
reply to post by peacejet

I beg to differ.

A illusion is something it appears to be but is not.

Every human shows one same exact likeness -- We are all bound to the physical boundaries from which our eyes ears tactile smell and thought process.

This is what we live in and it is not an illusion.

According to Merriam Webster an illusion is:

2 (1): a misleading image presented to the vision (2): something that deceives or misleads intellectually b (1): perception of something objectively existing in such a way as to cause misinterpretation of its actual nature (2): hallucination 1 (3): a pattern capable of reversible perspective

Even from a straight materialist scientific point of view, the world as we perceive it is an illusion according to the definition above. Were we to interpret the world as it is, we'd see a bunch of atomic particles consisting of mostly empty space with very little actual matter vibrating at varying speeds. I also disagree that every human is "bound" by the physical boundaries of the senses, but that's another topic I think.

This topic reminds me of something the Mayans once said: "We only rise from sleep, we come only to dream. It is not true, it is not true that we come on earth to live."

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Hi, inquisitive persons.

Can you imagine that science, one day,

will tell us: " All matter is made of solid light ". . .?

See my signature, and start from there. . .

Blue skies.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
See, we are living in a sort of illusion because the true nature of reality is not physical at all. Humanity is equipped with senses which allow us to perceive, and manifest our surroundings in specific ways so that we can have proper awareness within which to exist.

I think the true nature of reality is something much much different than we could ever comprehend. These questions of the size of space amount to pointless banter. The problem of space does not exist if all existence occupies the same space. The physical reality takes these moments and arranges them according to natural laws in addition to our consciousness which lives in the same space as, well, space.

If reality was an ocean, consciousness would be the salt in the water.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join