It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ever increasing pace of computer change wasting precious metals.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I have noticed that there are many reasons to chuck out your computer.

1. It becomes too slow.
(2. It breaks down).

Windows have gone from XP to NT to 98 to 95 to 7. But each time, you need faster hardware. Apart from hard core games players, why do we need this increase in speed.

We have limited resources and yet we are in a race against backwards hardware compatibility. Screw Bill Gate's profits, why are we wasting so much in terms of our natural materials to keep up with the latest software that is little improvement anyway. The same applies to mobile phones. I'm sure there's been a thread on this, but if future gernerations are to have computers, they probably will need ours. Why such a waste?

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
do computer chips need to be made out of silicon...silicone...?
honest question

there's probably a synthetic material that can replace silicon and all the other stuff is recyclable right?

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by patent98310
do computer chips need to be made out of silicon...silicone...?
honest question

there's probably a synthetic material that can replace silicon and all the other stuff is recyclable right?

Well, all the semi conductors. Not just the sand.....

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
One of the things i have found is that about 60% of people when there computers break down just buy another computer instead of fixing the old one.
In many cases it is cheaper then paying the repair shop to fix it.

Part of the problem is that micros**t builds a operating system that has breakdown that are very hard for people to fix on there own. MACs are not any better.

Another part is many computers are sold without a OS disk that people can use to fix things when the files become corrupted and it cost the big money to just buy a OS disk to do the repairs. many times the best fix is to format and reload the OS.
You can not do that without the OS disk.

Back when i was mining i ran a lot of computer boards that i got from the local dump though my mill just for the precious metals. Others i got there i fixed and used or gave away to the local poor seniors or poor family for there kids to use for school work.

I still do this when i get old computers as i can load them with Linux Ubuntu for free.

My revenge on micros**t is to teach people how good Linux is.

If you want to recycle your computers drop them at a thrift store like goodwill or salvation army if they can not fix them to sell they send them to a company that recycles them for the metals.

[edit on 9-1-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

If only the layman could install linux. I can do that but 'mount' nothing. I know someone who is using 5 year old technology and it is as fast as anything I have seen. Microsoft beware, we will get backdating software, maybe one day?

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Computer hardware becomes dated.. New operating systems (Vista, Windows 7) Have more features, and offer better looking interfaces that older hardware just cant handle. Most people just need a simple RAM upgrade if their computer is slow... 4GB (which is the amount gamers use) Is only about 50 bucks, if you buy it online.

If you don't game or do any damanding application work then you dont need the newest Operating system and hardware. A lower end Dual core is more than enough power for someone who just browses the internet on Windows xp, or vista home. Unless you Play games or do alot of Heavy applications... (Photoshop, Adobe after effects, ect.) You dont need to upgrade alot..

Computers use heatsinks to dissapate the heat, these are recycle able, since most are either Aluminum (standard) or Copper (more effeceint)

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by hardcoremusiclover
Computer hardware becomes dated.. New operating systems (Vista, Windows 7) Have more features, and offer better looking interfaces that older hardware just cant handle. Most people just need a simple RAM upgrade if their computer is slow... 4GB (which is the amount gamers use) Is only about 50 bucks, if you buy it online.

If you don't game or do any damanding application work then you dont need the newest Operating system and hardware. A lower end Dual core is more than enough power for someone who just browses the internet on Windows xp, or vista home. Unless you Play games or do alot of Heavy applications... (Photoshop, Adobe after effects, ect.) You dont need to upgrade alot..

Computers use heatsinks to dissapate the heat, these are recycle able, since most are either Aluminum (standard) or Copper (more effeceint)

All good but I bought a machine and motherboard that could only go up to 1 gig ram. Linux can deal with these machines and micros**t makes them a scrap heap peace. And they don't delete files properly and now the advice is UK is attack hard drives with a hammer. We need computers that last 20 years not 2.......

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Just install Ubuntu or DSL. you can run some versions of Linux on your TV-remote...
[This line intentionally left blank]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
My current server is running off of an AMD K6-2 350mhz. It works just fine for what it does which is file share, ftp, and printer sharing.
I've had that computer well over 10 years. My everyday computer is running windows xp on a 1ghz processor that I am currently going to be upgrading to a 2200+ AMD cpu.

So if people are disposing of their old computers send them to me I can make flowers out of garbage and make the world a better place for the unfortunate.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by gonzo610
My current server is running off of an AMD K6-2 350mhz. It works just fine for what it does which is file share, ftp, and printer sharing.
I've had that computer well over 10 years. My everyday computer is running windows xp on a 1ghz processor that I am currently going to be upgrading to a 2200+ AMD cpu.

So if people are disposing of their old computers send them to me I can make flowers out of garbage and make the world a better place for the unfortunate.

You should set up a reclaim deposit for us lesser mortals, so that machines don't get wasted and can also be given to other lesser mortals. God speed.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
So that they can run things faster? Why else?

And I like XP. 2000 was my favorite, though. I'm not a fan of Linux (not bad though) and hate Macs. Though I miss DOS with all my heart...

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Unix is the only real Operating System.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
there is some gold in some of the connections (not chips) and china is smuggling old monitors, etc into the country to reclaim the precious metals (silver, too but it isnt worth much). they have to use cyanide and hydrochloric acid to harvest the gold and it isnt exactly environmentally friendly but it does yield a profit. Good pt tho OP. I would have to agree that for consumer use PCs are fast enuf and we shud be concerned about the wasting of precious resources. Kind of like having a car that goes 200 mph. Nice but you dont need it.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Cyanide is environmentally friendly.

To get ride of cyanide all you have to do is add bleach and it is gone.

Sunlight kills it within a few weeks.

I run a cyanide leaching operation for gold and silver and had to add cyanide to the system every day because it would degrade and disappear

top topics

join