It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the US place part of it's missile defense shield in Russia?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
The supposition for this thread is that if the US put part of their missile defense shield beyond the Ukraine, they can also protect Russia.

The supposition (IMHO) of only excluding Russia from a Northern Hemisphere defense shield predicates they are the 'bad guys.'

Should America negotiate with Putin (since he still rules) over this?

If so, why, if not, why not?

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
errr LOL right

wheres the threat going to come from ? Iran missiles barely reach the southern most point of greece - the interceptors based in Poland will be there for 1 reason - to thin out any russian ICBM launch.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
errr LOL right

wheres the threat going to come from ? Iran missiles barely reach the southern most point of greece - the interceptors based in Poland will be there for 1 reason - to thin out any russian ICBM launch.

Is this threat real of percieved?

In 1949 Russia invented the Nuclear Bomb.

In 1951 Stalin declared 'I am so paranoid that I do not know who to trust now, not even myself.'

1951-3 He never dropped a bomb nuts though he was.

1953, He died slowly over 12 hours with his advisors so scared of declaring him ill (weak) that he would have killed them afterwards, so his suffering was huge.

1953. Stalin dead, he never dropped a bomb, do you reckon Putin would.

I think this is in your head, and an insult to our European Mother Russia.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I believe Ronald Reagan suggested sharing whatever we learned from SDI first. Back in the 1980s so if were willing to share something that was nonexistent then why not something real now

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I believe Ronald Reagan suggested sharing whatever we learned from SDI first. Back in the 1980s so if were willing to share something that was nonexistent then why not something real now

Yes, that was a political divide between the west and communism. Russia is actually a democracy now and you still want to punch her, and I wonder what you hope to achieve. When you have pulled your enemy to your point of view, if you are wise, you stop punching and kicking. I would do a
at your genral ignorance, but this is not funny.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by redled

Hey thanks for the history lesson on Old Joe.
i never knew any of that

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by redled

Hey thanks for the history lesson on Old Joe.
i never knew any of that

Get a passport. And use it.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by redled

drugs are bad mkay

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
reply to post by redled

drugs are bad mkay

McKay.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I personally think the West should embrace Russia and bring them in from the cold. We may have need of them in the future.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Russia invented the nuclear bomb?

I could either argue you made a mistake, because the United States most certainly invented the 'complete' bomb.

Or I could just tell you Russia stole the U.S. nuclear programme's information.

Either way, I'm right.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iblis
Russia invented the nuclear bomb?

I could either argue you made a mistake, because the United States most certainly invented the 'complete' bomb.

Or I could just tell you Russia stole the U.S. nuclear programme's information.

Either way, I'm right.

Yeah, local invention like. Multiplication was invented in more ways and hecne likely places than one. Typo.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Are you kidding? Russia hates America's #ing guts! The only way they can build a missile shield in Eastern Europe is if they stop acting like assholes, and it seems like they will after January 20

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
How exactly Russian federation will agree to US/NATO bases inside its own borders if it freaks out once mere old spheres of influence become NATOisized? Russia still thinks in superpower terms. US is not enemy anymore but it is still an advirsary. And vice versa.
As far as i see it this shield is not really against anything that resembles missile. It is all about expanding sphere of interest of NATO into previously Soviet/Russian ones. This is why all the fuss. In Balkans Russia politically lost but now they want to make political stand.
I do not know what started first - Russian attempts at rebuilding bi-lateral world or NATO/US attempts to reduce Russian influence. But i fear that it will end in new cold war anyway.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyworld
Are you kidding? Russia hates America's #ing guts! The only way they can build a missile shield in Eastern Europe is if they stop acting like assholes, and it seems like they will after January 20

Why does Russia hate America's guts? It followed American governments and Economists for a few years after the cold war, and millions starved or froze in the resulting chaos. Russia wanted to 'go west,' but something went wrong. What was it? How does that get resolved? Do we mark Russia out as a nuclear baddie when it is only US that has hurled a nuclear bomb in anger, nut Russia. Why do they hate US? They trade with most of Europe and are ok with us and we are not that far apart from you (from a UK perspective).

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
This would upset the balance. It cannot be done.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShiningLight

The balance was that if we do you, you will do us. Bush wanted a setup of 'we can do you but you not us' In Britain, the only defence for the nuclear bomb has been that no side could win. America wants to start a nuclear war and win and have every other country destroyed but itself by your logic. How can I support that? In the best of faith, how? How many people do you want to kill in hundreds of millions for you to prove you are the best? This is why I hope Barack Obama actually stops you hating all other countries.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by redled

Originally posted by ShiningLight

The balance was that if we do you, you will do us. Bush wanted a setup of 'we can do you but you not us' In Britain, the only defence for the nuclear bomb has been that no side could win. America wants to start a nuclear war and win and have every other country destroyed but itself by your logic. How can I support that? In the best of faith, how? How many people do you want to kill in hundreds of millions for you to prove you are the best? This is why I hope Barack Obama actually stops you hating all other countries.

Please tell me you did not just say that. It is almost as ignorant as your "get a passport" statement.

In any case, the US doesnt hate other countries, it just went against europe on the Iraq war which has resulted in this strained relationship with them and other countries.

However, Barack Obama will not fix the world and it is likely that american foreign policy will continue as is.

Do I think we will station a missile defense system in russia? No. Why? becasue Russia's primary export is weapon/military systems. The US probably wont risk having technology stolen by the russians. Having a military installation inside russia makes espionage extremely easy.

This is if the ABM program is even still around when Obama gets done.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by NightoftheComet

More to the point, the missile system is designed to surround Russia from the west, They can lob one in from Kamtchatka. They do not want war, and never tried for one. I'm glad that you don't hate Russia, but too many in this thread have been too defensive of a modern democracy that has done nothing against them. I don't expect Obama to solve much, because so much is history. By the way, for your information, Russia does export arms, as UK and US. We had mutually ensured destruction to contain our leaders once, now they want the rightr to bomb us all which is in violation of the principle that the people who most need controlling are the power hungry politicians.

Good luck in imbalancing what has been a delicate balance. May America have the right to bomb Russia, and may Russia have no legs to deal with it. That is your conclusion and I will be no party to it. Nazis.

join