It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman finds 139-year-old baseball card in box of antiques

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I did a search and didn't find or see a thread about this yet so forgive me if there is one.

Bernice Gallego pulled an old baseball card from a box of antiques. She figured it might be worth something to someone, so she listed it on eBay.But after getting a flurry of inquiries about whether the card was authentic or not, Gallego started to suspect she was holding something a little more valuable and immediately ended the auctionThe starting bid was $10.

She got a bunch of inquires about the authenticity of the card and decided to take it off ebay. She's glad she did because the card was made in 1869 and is the first professional baseball team the Red Stocking B.B. Club of Cincinnati. They say it will go for 100,000 dollars or more when she puts it back up for auction.

That's just amazing to me. Check your attics folks and don't be afraid to buy some old junk box at an antque store. You never know what you might get. It says she's one 250,000 on a slot machine before too.

Source

" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

Cincinnati Red Stockings

[edit on 1/9/2009 by Solarskye]

JbT

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
WoW, cool. But not a huge surprise to me. I have my own story, though not worth 100,000.

My uncle has a handy cap from birth, Cerebral Palsy, and is about 35 years old now. He always been a HUGE sports fan. Back in the days of Wayne G. and Mario L. and those boys he collected box after box of trading cards. He would look at them while watching games on t.v. and compair stats and stuff. The problem is with Cerebral Palsy the use of the hands is very hard for most, and his were also contorted and thus handling the cards resulted in bends, folds, rounded corners and all of that in which collectors worry about.

About 15 years ago I was at my grandparents house, where my uncle lives also. I was going through the old toy boxes and stuff in the basement and found a box filled with hockey trading cards. I also recognized the year of the cards, the same years that Mario L. and Wanye G. were rookies....

.... Yes, I found 3 Mario L. rookie cards and 2 Wayne G. rookie cards in completely trashed conditions. They had folds across the cards and the corners were all bent and rounded. There was also many other valuable cards in there, I just forget which ones now.

I still covered them in plastic hard cases and set them aside for him, none the less.

join