It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rate my new acquisition

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
My first 1911, the .45ACP Firestorm by (don't laugh) Bersa.

This is my first foray into the territory of historical firearms, and I have to say I love this thing.

Extended slide stop, extended safety, speed bump grip safety, Novak style sites, extended beavertail, extended mag release, forward slide checkering, diamond pattern wood grips, lowered and flared ejection port, adjustable "speed" trigger, skeletonized combat hammer.

And the best part of all - $400 new in box.

Shoots like a dream, reliable with hollowpoints, accurate, recoils less than my 9mm Sig. Awesome pistol, and just out.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
You made a very good choice IMO.

the 1911 is the best handgun ever made in the history of mankind.
my opinion.

Extremely reliable. (fact)

If i ever get a handgun, it will be a 1911 for sure.

i rate your acquisition 10/10 and two thumbs up

[edit on 9-1-2009 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Nice piece

Shame I live in England

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
A most SWEET acquisition indeed. But did you buy several extra clips? I used to carry my Colt .45 ACP for heavy work, but I also had a Smith 5904 9mm with 16 in the clip and one in the pipe with extra clips for fear of lack of enough return fire. I figured 60 rounds of 9mm hydrashock (357 equivalent damage) and 28 rounds of 45 should get me out of a pinch anytime. I am ashamed to admit I also carried a lil .25 auto in case of sudden disarmament, but in retrospect that was ridiculous. I got a Bersa .380 and that was a nice little piece. Good price on that weapon too! I also am in the market due to the new paradigm.

[edit on 9/1/09 by spirit_horse]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I'm very jealous LOL
If I could by one I would but I am Canadian.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
im not familiar with the brand but 1911's in general are excellent firearms.
and for that price i may look into that manufacturer, as my kimber cost me a small fortune.

grats on the new acquisition.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Thanks all.

I will need to pick up some extra magazines for it, I'm thinking Chip McCormick right now, but we'll see.

Kimbers are great guns, but the price makes them a little harder for me to come by

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
$400!?

Where? That is a really great deal!

1911's rock.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I don't know anything about the brand but good choice on the 1911! My Kimber was more than twice as much so I'm a little jealous on the price. It sure is a good looking gun you picked up. I'm using Kimpro (I think that's how you spell it) magazines and they are my favorite so far. Ditch the factory mags as soon as possible.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
very nice indeed
..quick question was this a gunshow purchase or did you get it from a local retailer? I am looking into a handgun ( can't carry my romanian AK..lol) and was kinda leaning towards a H&K USP .45 but they are a little pricey.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I believe this latest incarnation only came out in October 2008, the guns are made in the Phillipines which has earned a reputation for making good 1911s (ironic if you know the history of the gun).

I got this one from a regular dealer in Prescott, Arizona. I contacted Davidsons who are the only distributor of these guns in my state and they put me on to this one which also happened to be the only one in the whole of Arizona.

Shooting steel framed pistols is just an entirely different experience after polymer framed guns like the Glock.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Retseh,
I own a Charles Daley also made in the Phillipines. It shoots very well. Ambidextrious safety, bevertail grip, and a very nice trigger pull. Good sights too.

I have never heard of the Bersa company but as I understand it many companys are looking to cash in on a very popular brand of pistol. I was surprised some time back to see that Tarus was making a pistol after the 1911 pattern and packed with popular features. In the olde days all these popular features were added on by custom gunsmiths. Now you can get them tuned up and performing right from the factory. We've come along way baby!!

I use Wilson Combat 8 round magazines though I also have standard military 7 rounders. The Wilsons are a bit expensive but it is worth it to me.

Also ..that is an excellent price for a 1911.

Oh..and I am not familiar with shooting polymer framed firearms. I have only fired 9mm Glocks a couple of times but not enought to get familiar with them. How would you describe the difference in the shooting characteristics of these two different types. You have me curious about this.

Congratulations and keep them in the X ring Retseh.

Orangetom

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
IM jealous!

Try to take car of that thing!
Moisture is your enemy!
I'd suggst you take it to thr range every month or so to keep that parts from settling in!

Altough some people mock the brand, as long as it kills it works.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

How do you think the steel frams hold up to the polymer frames?
I've only used polymer so thats why I'm asking.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Nice piece and nice price.

I had a Bersa Thunder .380 and that thing was crazy accurate for what it was. Bersa is a good brand glade you posted this I think I found my next purchase.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999

How would you describe the difference in the shooting characteristics of these two different types. You have me curious about this.

Congratulations and keep them in the X ring Retseh.

Orangetom

Thanks Orangetom.

Polymer framed pistols are supposed to reduce recoil significantly as the frame actually flexes slightly when firing. However, I personally find that this advantage is more than outweighed by the reduced weight of these firearms, plus their top heavy design.

On a polymer framed gun, the moving parts are the heaviest (i.e. the slide) and they are also in the best position for leverage (the top of the weapon) for me this results in more "flip".

The 1911 is solid and it's heavy in the frame, plus narrow in the slide. My SigPro 9mm was kicking muzzle high, with not so much in the way of rearward force. When I switched to the 1911, the muzzle rise was much less, and the rearward recoil impulse was more of a progressive "shove" than a snap or kick - doubtless due to the gentler pressure curve of the .45ACP.

I have found the same to be true of all steel 9mm firearms too, shooting a full size CZ75 is like shooting a .22 (to me).

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Retsch,

Thanks for the description. I am carrying my Charles Daley .45ACP for the last couple of days though for most of the week I have been carrying my Taurus .357.

It has been a long while since someone let me shoot their 9mm Glock. I do see what you mean by the flip due to the top being heavy verses the polymer bottoms. I don't recall this heavy flip with the 9mm Glock but I do recall it with a .40 cal Smith and Wesson. I have found the .40 caliber to be a very strong flip in a gun with a polymer lower section. Very sharp as compared to my .45ACPs. I will also add that this .40 caliber pistol had a short barrel as compared to my 1911. The pistol was overall quite light. But then again ..the .40 is a fairly stout caliber in a light pistol. The flip you describe was very sharp.
I did not care for this effect.
I have experienced this one other time in a handgun and it was in of all things a Smith Airweight...five shot revolver in .38 Special. I was shocked to learn with this pistol how much recoil a .38 Special had in a very light revolver. This cured me of the ultra light pistol craze. When I saw the ultra light Taurus Titanium models in .44 Magnum...I said to myself...you've got to be kidding me!!

This effect you describe is one of the things which convinced me to not purchase a Glock in .45ACP. In my mind the .45ACP requires a pistol with some weight to it. I will stick to my .45ACP in the 1911 and my revolver...thanks!!

Thanks for your view on this. It is pretty much what I recall though it has been awhile since I have fired a polymer type firearm.

Keep them in the X ring.
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I'm afraid I tend to go light when carrying out of pure convenience (a nice way of saying I'm lazy).

While I would love to carry the 1911 shown in the photo, I almost always carry a Ruger LCP in my jeans pocket, it may only be a .380 but it is reliable, and if I can't disuade an attacker with 7 rounds of .380, then I'm in a lot of trouble. My "other" carry gun is a Glock 26.

It's interesting you mention the Smith Airweights, because I have a 642 which is indeed stout when loaded with 135gr +P Gold Dots. But for true recoil insanity, there is nothing quite like a Scandium S&W .357 ultralight snubbie loaded with full-house Magnum loads. That combination will quite easily rip the web of your strong hand after just a couple of rounds unless you are wearing shooting gloves.

Back to the subject of the Firestorm 1911, it's interesting to note that prices are already edging up towards $500, I'm still trying to track more down as an investment before they get too pricey.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
That's highly illegal my friend, if I were to get caught holding that thing I would face 5 years in jail... Even if I was handling it in a safe and proper fashion!!

Of course I do live in the UK
I think they are gonna start tazering us for dropping litter soon...

Any ways nice to know some people are allowed to enjoy firearms responsibly (I go ever so slightly green at times like this). Enjoy it while you can!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join