It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple files patent for camera hidden behind display

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Apple files patent for camera hidden behind display

www.appleinsider.com

We've already seen the iSight indicator light "disappear" behind the bezel of Apple's MacBook and iMac computers. A recently published patent application could make the iSight itself not only disappear, but move to the middle of the screen. MacBooks, iMacs, and even iPhones and iPod touches could take advantage of the new technology.

Submitted in July 2007, the filing details plans for a camera mounted behind a display that could capture an image "while the display elements are in an ...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
There's already a conspiracy floating around that every newly-produced monitor already has a computer hidden in it. This camera can be activated at any time by a remote. Personally, I don't believe it, but this patent makes me question it. We already have speakers in cell phones that can be activated, so why not cameras in monitors?

www.appleinsider.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I've wondered about my cable box already doing that. Someway or another, someone will be watching us even closer. Big brother is apparently too busy watching us instead of their own. (except for Blago)

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Good grief.

Now, my computer will be watching me.

That's just a little disconcerting.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
There was a rumor going around about the cable box being able to detect certain words. When those words are recorded, the cable box knows which commercials to play. I'm assuming this could be easily debunked with proper research, though.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

Easily debunked just using common sense actually.

Not a one liner

Or a 2 liner ;-)

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
hehe my my what a great job someone has watching me pick my nose and scratch my balls, i wonder how many times i've blinked while reading this thread - i hope it's someone job to know.

Until they have a massive terminal able to watch all the videos and bring thought crimes to the attention of the robot guards i don't think we're in any danger of this deadly new conspiracy.

Here's a quick rule of thumb for you paranoid types, if you have a secret then keep it secret! The head of the isi does not use a macbook and presidents do not send important emails over blackberrys - everyone knows you can record and decode everything a blackbery sends if your a government sized computer lab, so don't send anything important. The same goes for standing in frount of your internet connected computer with the web cam plugged in and giving a detailed and incriminating description of your crimes.

If you worry about safety then use open source software and learn how it works, know what your computer is doing and never reveal your plan, no matter how well tied up bond is.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by NatureBoy

Yeah, that's what I never understood about the camera theory. Who's going to be watching all those cameras all day? One can argue that everything is being recorded and stored later for possible future use, but who can organize all that stuff?

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Are we suprised?. jsut think of how many satelites we have in space and the majority of them are staring down at us. Its times like this when living in a cave starts to look really atractive. there's a price to pay for all this technology and that is our brains becoming defunct.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

One could conceivably develop some sort of software which can filter out certain desired information. From what I understand, the US govt. uses similar software when it eavesdrops on communications.

One could also deliberately choose to spy on certain individuals. Perhaps nobody is going to want to watch you or me when we sit in front of our computers and eat potato chips, but somebody may want to direct their attentions toward a criminal, a terrorist, a business competitor, or a political foe.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Wow this is just blowing my mind. My questions are 1. Is it possible to activate a computers camera or microphone from a remote area? but then I'd guess Yes that's quite probable, so 2. To what extant, how easy, and in what ways can this technology be applied?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Good thing I say. Finally you get video confrences where people actually seem to look in the right area and pay attention to what's being said.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
It should still be visible as an attached device and as such it can be disabled simply by uninstalling the drivers. Even the most computer illiterate can manage that.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
It's silly to think this is a conspiracy. Why go to the trouble of hiding a camera to watch you sit at your computer? What does that accomplish? If someone wants your info, they're going to hack your computer or go through your trash or tap your phones. And it'd probably be easier to just hack existing webcams with some sort of trojan if they wanted to actually see you sit there. Webcam hacking programs already exist, anyway.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Hmmmm... I understand that this is on a laptops and PC monitors, but it eerily reminds me of something...

Ever read the book 1984? (if not ,please do, I think it should be required reading for anyone on this site). In the book the government monitors everyone using cameras in the TVs...

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Welcome to 1984 folks. There is a reason I have that as my avatar.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Ain't that the truth.

First we got Newspeak i.e. Politically Correct
Then came increased surveillance...
Soon every TV will likely have these cameras and the ability to monitor us using them will go hand in hand.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
Welcome to 1984 folks. There is a reason I have that as my avatar.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by fumanchu

Just an FYI, the cameras in the TVs in 1984 were common knowledge to the characters in the book.

They knew they were there, and they knew they were being monitored... nothing they could do about it.

No need for secret cameras when you can convince the masses that the cameras are needed for other reasons.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

People want cameras so they can make faces at people in other countries, no one is forced to have a camera, nor is there any evidence what so ever that proves 1. people are being spied on or 2. they are there specifically to spy on people. There are a multitude of nefarious purposes for all sorts of things people use on a daily basis, doesn't mean that's what they are for, or that they are indeed being used as such. This is just paranoia talking. (not necessarily a bad thing)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join