It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Costa Rica Earthquake 14 Dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
latimesblogs.latimes.com...

Residents and tourists remain on edge in Costa Rica, a day after a 6.2-magnitude earthquake shook most of the Central American nation. This morning, the Red Cross confirmed that five people died after an initial count of 14 dead; almost two dozen are missing, according to the Associated Press.

It was a rollicking and sleepless night for many in and beyond the capital city of San Jose, which was close to the epicenter, as well as for people abroad concerned about family and friends visiting the outdoors paradise.

Outposts was happy to provide a forum for those seeking or sharing information, and again invites input.

It looks like a 6.2.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Earthquake Details
Magnitude 6.1
Date-Time Thursday, January 08, 2009 at 19:21:34 UTC
Thursday, January 08, 2009 at 01:21:34 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 10.197°N, 84.159°W
Depth 4.5 km (2.8 miles) set by location program
Region COSTA RICA
Distances 30 km (20 miles) NNW of SAN JOSE, Costa Rica
80 km (50 miles) ENE of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
120 km (75 miles) SE of San Carlos, Nicaragua
1770 km (1100 miles) SSW of Miami, Florida

Location Uncertainty Error estimate not available
Parameters NST=239, Nph=239, Dmin=30.7 km, Rmss=0 sec, Gp= 32°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=9
Source Seccion de Sismología, Universidad de Costa Rica, San José, Costa Rica

Event ID us2009bpba

[edit on 9-1-2009 by whiteraven]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
This is just the beginning yes?

this is not the one line post you are looking for...
-waves hand-

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I was in panama(very near costa rica) back in november, and we got rocked a little by a couple of smaller earthquakes one night. Is it business as usual in costa rica? Yellowstone is a super volcano, and costa rica has the most active volcanos of any country in the world, if I'm not mistaken. Could the flow of magma under the earth be upset or blocked some where?

Any geologists on ATS?

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The reason Costa Rica has all the EQs it does is because of its locale. It is close to the Aerocibo telescope which is being used the same as the HAARP array in Alaska. They are causing the EQs around the world and usually any EQ will have a reciprocal EQ in the locale of the "causing" transmitter.

Most quakes in these areas are man made...

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AllTiedTogether

Comrad "AllTiedTogether" I hope you are wearing chest waders, because the crap you are giving out and wading through must be well above your knees. I've heard it all now! Your story is man made!!!!!

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

To understand..

If you look at thismap, you will see that most N.A. EQs are in the Alaskan region and the Peurto Rico region. These usually smaller EQs will radiate out from the transmitter. As you see in the Alaskan region which shows EQs radiating out from the HAARP txtr. Pretty obvious if you look and follow the data trail.

[edit on 9-1-2009 by AllTiedTogether]

[edit on 9-1-2009 by AllTiedTogether]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Comrad "AllTiedTogether" I understand that you are a good person, but your thinking is a little off. For decades before HAARP was put up, the earthquakes in Alaska were the same as they are now, just go back and pull up the data before HAARP came along.

HAARP is used to shut down missiles and planes or anything else that uses electronics. If missiles were to fly from Russian or China or somewhere else, the Defense systems of the USA would turn HAARP to maximum and HAARP would render the incoming missles harmless; they would crash into the ground with their warheads intact but un-operable. If Russian or Chinese planes came within a certain radius, which must be great in extent, they would loose power and crash, because they would be un-operable. The same technology is used today on a much smaller scale by the police to shut down vehicles in high speed persuits; the vehicle looses power and control is lost.

HAARP does not create earthquakes, oil companies create earthquakes.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Well the plates must be on the move...as they are most of the time...although I had read that the plate that pivots on the northeast rim of the ring of fire is under more stress. (if I understood what I was reading) I am not to sure what that means but my daughter who is a geologist seems to think that all of this is normal in "earth time" and that we are the "anomoly" in thinking it strange and that so many are in a panic over these earthquakes.

Although her point of view does not make them any less dangerous or less costly. lol

34 dead, dozens missing from Costa Rica quake

The number of people killed from an earthquake in Costa Rica rose to 34 on Saturday, a government official said.

Rigoberto Vargas weeps with his daughters for his missing son on Saturday in San Miguel di Sarapiqui.

Another 64 people were listed as missing two days after the 6.1-magnitude earthquake shook north-central Costa Rica, the official said.

Emergency personnel continued to search for victims affected by the quake, according to Ministry of Infrastructure spokeswoman Silvia Chaves.

Rescuers reached 200 tourists who had been stranded in a hotel in Varablanca, and they were taken to safety, she said.

Survivors described Thursday's quake, which was centered about 20 miles north-northwest of the capital city of San Jose, as sudden and brutal. Landslides, tumbling rocks and collapsed buildings caused widespread devastation.

"I saw how the Earth moved and how it took my family -- my aunt, my cousin and her babies," Miguel Angel Marin told CNN affiliate Teletica TV. "It was very hard because I wanted to save them but I couldn't."

Don't Miss
Strong Costa Rica quake kills two girls
On Friday, the U.S. government dispatched a team of 34 U.S. military personnel and four helicopters from Honduras-based Joint Task Force-Bravo to Costa Rica to assist.

edition.cnn.com...

[edit on 11-1-2009 by whiteraven]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

has there been a list posted of missing and dead from the earthquake, I have friends there that we have not heard from.

new topics

top topics

join