It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone identify this please?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Well I was feeling a bit bored last night so I had a look around Google earth and came across this. I’m not saying it’s an underground base but it looks very odd. Can anyone identify this please? it might be nothing, but curiosity is getting the better of me. At first glance it looked like a golf course bunkers, but as you can see in the second picture there are two triangle shape columns (that the only way I can describe them) on each side of what could be an entrance.

its in narvarda

[edit on 9/1/09 by iammonkey]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
It's some kind of landscape artwork. If you click on the little W icon on the South Eastern side, it pops up with the following info:

City is a piece of earth art located in Garden Valley, a desert valley in rural Lincoln County in the U.S. state of Nevada, near the border with Nye County. The work was begun in 1972 by the artist Michael Heizer and is ongoing. Like his previous Double Negative (1969), City is designed and executed on a massive scale. Covering a space approximately one and a quarter miles long and more than a quarter of a mile wide (2 km by 0.4 km, roughly the scale of the National Mall), City is one of the largest sculptures ever created. Using earth, rocks and concrete as building materials and assembled with heavy machinery, the work comprises five phases, each consisting of a number of structures referred to as complexes, with some of the structures reaching a height of eighty feet.

City attempts to synthesize ancient monuments, Minimalism and industrial technology. The work derives inspiration from Mississippian mounds, Mesoamerican ball courts and Pre-Columbian sites like La Venta as well as Modernism. Heizer also cites an interest in the ceremonial squares and associated civic monuments of cites.

In recent years the work has been threatened by the proposed Yucca Mountain Repository, a U.S. Department of Energy terminal storage facility for spent nuclear reactor and other radioactive waste. The proposed route for the railroad that would ferry the waste from Caliente to the disposal site cuts across the same valley as City, and would come within its sightline. Heizer feels this will threaten his sculpture, as the location was selected for its isolation, and prefers to see the tracks redirected through nearby Coal Valley and Murphy Gap.

The cost of City is being financed by several patrons, including the Dia Art Foundation and Lannan Foundation, with an estimated cost in the tens of millions of dollars. The work is located at approximately. The work is located on a large parcel of private land owned by the artist and is closed to the public until its completion. Heizer is currently completing the work with a team of roughly a dozen and, as of 2005, anticipates completion before 2010.

As a side note, I'm always interested in what people have in their status bars when they paste screenshots...I see you're into the muppets.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
bunkers to protect against a nearby nuclear blast or 300 mph winds from a pole shift??

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by the siren

thank you very much.
i've learnd some thing new.

new topics

top topics

join