It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An interesting twist on a 419 scam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I have decided to take a proactive approach to some of the 419 scams I have slithering into my mailbox- and email the contents of the emails to the corporations and organizations they (mis)represent. This morning, the UN was the lucky ones to hear from me. Until the site crashed when I sent them an email. *shakes head*

Anyways... While I was copying email addresses into the email, I had one of those little XML tags pop up, and it had 'follow the link' at the bottom of it. I did. This is the actual link to the email site- NOT the scammer's personal area. Looks like 'follow the link' gets you close without putting you in a position to have personal info stolen. Take a look, and form your own conclusions:
This goes WHERE?!?

This tells me where a % of the scammed cash is ending up, and I'll bet you a million dollars, it's with the US govt's blessing. And if I am right, that's just sick.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
This tells me where a % of the scammed cash is ending up, and I'll bet you a million dollars, it's with the US govt's blessing. And if I am right, that's just sick.

My Hebrew is a little rusty, but I'll bet it has to do with the ISP...and every scam or message alike goes through one. I wouldn't get my knickers in a knot...unless, of course, it says "Israeli Government screwing the folks with US Government assent".

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
how do I put this.... it isn't what the site says- it's the fact that this IS a Hebrew email site- hence the person doing the scam is an Israeli.... I never checked an email address before in this manner- and with all the recent stuff going on, it makes you go "hmmm".

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Hey, what do you expect with the writer of the Melissa virus got a sentence of 90 days.

I suspect because so many virii, spoofing, spams, etc. are from the intelligence community. My guess is that governments are funding much of the "technology" behind these operations. What better way to test them?

It's a sad commentary that 95% of all spam mail is generated by 200 people and yet, somehow we just can't stop it? Seems to me that someone in authority is benefitting.

I have an easy solution. Make forging a header (whether physically or through a virus) the same as mail fraud and every incidence carries a mandatory 5 year sentence. That's why you don't see this same crap in your real life mailbox. . . because it's illegal.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I got another one today... and using an IP addy tracker, this one came from Mumbai, India. Like where those terrorists struck.

Anyone know where I can read up on making some nasty viruses? I think it's time to strike back at these SOBs and hard. Somewhere to get a tutorial, or a program that isn't virus infested itself?

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Here is one way to get back at them, that is legal:

www.419eater.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I understand your wanting to strike back, but you would be breaking the law as well by sending a virus to them.

What I don't understand is why our governments can't e-bomb those creeps for us. We have no problem using real bombs against bad guys.

[edit on 10-1-2009 by IsawOne]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by IsawOne
I understand your wanting to strike back, but you would be breaking the law as well by sending a virus to them.

What I don't understand is why our governments can't e-bomb those creeps for us. We have no problem using real bombs against bad guys.

[edit on 10-1-2009 by IsawOne]

Actually there are much more effective ways to "strike back" than a virus.

I've got the ones I receive reduced down to about 1 a month by giving them the run around and wasting their time money and effort lol plus it's a lot of fun too.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

I've got the ones I receive reduced down to about 1 a month by giving them the run around and wasting their time money and effort lol plus it's a lot of fun too.

Yes, that is what is explained in the link I posted above.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
My favorite when you get the spam asking you to send your name and phone number. . . I give them the number of the local FBI office and tell them my name is "A. Marshall."

So they call the FBI and ask to talk to a marshal.

[edit on 11-1-2009 by VelmaLu]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I admit- more than once- I sent them the White house Phone #, and told them the guy on the other end was my retarded cousin- and to badmouth Bush for all they were worth... I just didn't call him President Bush- i called him Dumb Georgie- my cousin's idiot kid. And had them demand I be put on (I used an alias... Someone I know and hate with a passion). If they didn't, and I found out, I was gonna rip up a few butts, ect.

I never heard from that set again.... I am just tired of the repetition of it, to be honest. And these stupid ones from like Credit Suisse, and large companies. You'd think that the corporations would get tired of being implicated....

top topics

join