It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA - Solar Storms Could Shut Down USA for Months

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
NASA Warning

The National Academy of Sciences released information from a new study. The study discusses the worst case scenario solar storm. Because of the modern power grid and our technological age, we will be hit harder now then at other peak solar cycles. It looks to me that this storm is something that they expect to happen at some point. I wonder if ‘they’ are getting people ready, subconsciously, for the 2012 events. Then again, this could just be science releasing findings to the public for no reason other then to provide general information.

A few quotes from the story -

Damage to power grids and other communications systems could be catastrophic, the scientists conclude, with effects leading to a potential loss of governmental control of the situation.

When the sun is in the active phase of its 11-year cycle, it can unleash powerful magnetic storms that disable satellites, threaten astronaut safety, and even disrupt communication systems on Earth.

"Impacts would be felt on interdependent infrastructures with, for example, potable water distribution affected within several hours; perishable foods and medications lost in 12-24 hours; immediate or eventual loss of heating/air conditioning, sewage disposal, phone service, transportation, fuel resupply and so on," the report states.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I just saw a news story that scientist are looking out for a high amount solar flares in 2012.

I think the government will pull all of our astronauts from space whenever something big is about to happen. I think when we see that, that will be a big sign.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Star and flag from me.
I am still not sure about 2012 yet as there is alot of info to sort thru but I have read a bit in mainstream news about more solar storms that should be on thier way in the near future.
This is definately something to keep my eyes on.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by leisuredrummer

do you remember the source of the news story?

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
For those that want to track the northern lights or space weather -

Space Weather

Northern Lights

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
reply to post by leisuredrummer

do you remember the source of the news story?

That particular verbiage seems to have come from Fox News:

www.foxnews.com...

which cited space.com's video:

www.space.com...

but NASA also has a whole section of their site devoted to it:

science.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
The story I saw was on TV unfortunately but quakewatcher found pretty much the exact same story online from Fox.

Good work quakewatcher!

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
ABC News

Katrinia-like space storm brewing.

First, the electric grid would be vulnerable, and could be shut down. It's the first big domino that, the report says, could lead to "disruption of the transportation, communication, banking, and finance systems, and government services; the breakdown of the distribution of potable water owing to pump failure; and the loss of perishable foods and medications because of lack of refrigeration.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Story Here

NASA now says that a mega solar flare could even cause the toilets to stop working.
Um ... I hadn't thought of that.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
there was a book out in 2007 that detailed the various 2012 doomsday prophecies and tied them all into the solar cycle activity that is expected in that year.

some info
www.universetoday.com...

and the book's site:
www.apocalypse2012.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
NASA and NOAH both stated back in early 2008 that in Dec 2012 there would be alot of solar spot activity and that it would even cause a small ice age. The Ice age had happened before back in the late 1800s lots of folks perished then. I cant even imagine now.

My advice would be to have a port a potty or an out house if you live in the country just in case. If you live in the City well wait till the neighbor is asleep then go fertelize there flower beds. Or plant pots. Hey anything will work when you gotta go.

As for the cold not sure what will happen with folks in the city. But I plan on having plenty of extra propaine ahead and wood for a wood stove. Luckily I live sort of in the country. I also plan on by then having a few chickens and a horse so I can cut back on fuel for the car. And plenty of fresh eggs for breakfast.

top topics

join