It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Worst riot in Oslo since the 80`s"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
What started as an peaceful demonstration for peace between the Israelis and Palestines ended up as the worst riot in Oslo since the 80`s..

"The main street in Oslo looks like a battlefield, cars and shops are shattered, garbage cans are set on fire. Tear gas was used by the police for crowd control, thick smoke still lies in the air." said a reporter from Nettavisen who was on sight 21:30 last night.

This article is in Norwegian, but you can see pictures at the bottom, and I can translate if you want me to:

www.nettavisen.no...

Im sure there has been riots like this all over the world lately..
It makes me wonder how we can ever live in a peaceful world. Is it even possible?

What do you think about this?

[edit on 9-1-2009 by Anom3]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I think that is too much excitement for most Norwegians!
It looks like your average post-football match brawl.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by cruzion

Yeah, we are a small country, and stuff like this doesent happen every day, thats for sure, but that doesent defend the actions of the people involved in the violence IMO.

There were families with children, wanting to participate in a peaceful demonstration, who were caught in the middle of this..

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Anom3

no thats rubbish, the peaceful demonstration ended and rioters appeared

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
This means we live in a healthy democracy. It is a good sign that some people are pushing the boundary. And at any rate, "worst riots since the 80's" isn't really all that bad in Oslo.

Cheers from Norway

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I wanted to post this yesterday but I couldn't find no english link and I was too lazy to translate.
Wonder why it didnt make it internationally?

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
why is this in the middle east issues forum?

Oslo is in Norway which is in Europe

on the other hand it is interesting info

s/f

[edit on 9-1-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Here are a few videos from the riots.

I don't see how they would get support for their cause, when they are behaving like this and destroy everything. This is not about Israel vs. pro-Israel. That's just an excuse. This is vandals who must be stopped, no matter what "cause" they claim made them do it. I hope they will have to pay for the damage.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
As I said before, the Israeli atrocity is angering the planet. Some of you are probably thinking why are white Norwegians rioting in the street because of a conflict in the Middle East. Unlike the US, most people are outwards looking and not insular.

ATS members are exceptions to the average American citizen misinformed by MSM and who is busy with his life and affairs. Most people abroad are equally busy with life too but information is usually from divergent sources and readily available.

The Norwegians are expressing outrage with what they have learnt of the current conflict, and they are angry just like the people of colour in the Middle East some pro-Israeli supporters point out and ridicule.

You might like to know similar anger is being displayed on the streets from Spain, to Germany, to Russia, to Indonesia. People are angry and should not be readily dismissed. You might find a blue eyed, blond haired person taking lethal and direct action without necessarily being the stereotypical 'muslim terrorist'.

[edit on 053131p://pm3151 by masonwatcher]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Norwegians did not riot, Norwegians are good people it was al of the the immigrants in Norway that was rioting.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Thanks for posting that.

The US may be insular, but it is at least in part because we never get to see whats going on in other countries.

Our media is probably one of the most censored ones in the world, whether we like to think so or not.

I actually love having the opportunity to see whats going on. Its one of the reasons I love ATS, those of you in blacked out parts of the world, (from our media's point of view, can inform us. (And translate)

On a side note, holy crap it looks cold there.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

You sooo naive.
Meet you in the local norwegian musk in 10 years.

Salaam.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by masonwatcher

Norway has the most monitored Middle Eastern media in northern Europe, even more than Sweden. Unfortunately not in English but in Norwegian (which is totally obvious).

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Norwegians did not riot, Norwegians are good people it was al of the the immigrants in Norway that was rioting.

Riiiiiight, its the crazy jing-a-ling, googly-eyed foreigners? You are incorrect.

uk.youtube.com...

[edit on 053131p://pm3159 by masonwatcher]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skittle
reply to post by masonwatcher

Norway has the most monitored Middle Eastern media in northern Europe, even more than Sweden. Unfortunately not in English but in Norwegian (which is totally obvious).

What do you mean, "most monitored Middle Eastern media in northern Europe..."?

Do you mean that Arabs own the news media therefore Norwegian opinions do not matter. Maybe because the ADL hasn't got a chapter in Norway so the news is not moderated and feral?

I don't know why a few pro-Israeli supporters on ATS are having a strange reactions over the Norwegian demonstrations against the Israeli aggression? Do they realise there are mass demonstrations in all parts of Europe including Ireland and the UK?

Perhaps they have accommodated these turns of events as of ethnic origin on the streets of Europe, therefore it's second rate and irrelevant.

In Israel, Arab Jews, Ethiopian Jews and migrant workers are treated as second class so it must mean these attitudes are being transferred to worldwide events.

[edit on 053131p://pm3113 by masonwatcher]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
There has been more demonstrations in Oslo today 10.01.09.

You can see a video here:

atvs.vg.no...

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
It's a shame that violence happened. But this just shows how emotive the subject is.

People are angry that this is being allowed to continue unabated. In every nation people are angry that their leaders are so weak on this issue. They are allowing Israel to murder people, without being challenged.

This will only continue until world leaders actually grow some balls and start to make clear and accurate statements on what Israel is doing.

I'm fed up with hearing carefully constructed speeches and statements about a "sustainable ceasefire", innocent people, with no connection to Hamas, are being systematically murdered by Israel.
Our leaders need to do what we pay them to do, represent our countries and kick out every Israeli member from every embassy worldwide.

That would be a start.

top topics

join