It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1-8-09 UN Sec Council Calls For Full Gaza Withdrawl

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Just watching CNN live and the UN Security Council has approved a resolution #1860 for a ceasefire and full Gaza withdraw... 1-8-09

I'm under the impression that the USA didn't vote??

[edit on 8-1-2009 by Alpha_Magnum]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Yes, and the U.S. decided not to vote.

MSNBC

JERUSALEM - The U.N. Security Council approved a resolution Thursday calling for an immediate and durable cease-fire between Hamas militants and Israeli forces now fighting in the Gaza Strip.

The vote was 14-0, with the United States abstaining.

The vote followed three days of intense negotiations between ministers from key Arab nations and the council's veto-wielding Western powers — the United States, Britain and France. It came on the 13th day of an Israeli air and ground offensive against the Islamic group Hamas, which rules Gaza and has been launching rockets and mortars into southern Israel for years.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Given that Israel has been firing on the UN convoys, I'm sure this will be completely ignored.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
One of the interviews explained that the fear was that Israel would take its sweet time and expand the attack and killing. I'm paraphrasing he said something like, "Israel starts a war on a Saturday but can't stop one on a Saturday so it waits till Monday. We know how Israel is" or something like that.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Basically the article says that in the end, both sides have to stop firing on the ground. Does anyone really see Hamas just saying "okay yeah we'll stop". They didnt even do that before this past cease-fire expired!! This resolution means NOTHING. All it means is that the folks who arent fighting have agreed on how they would LIKE to see it ended. THEY are the only ones who have compromised and decided on anything. Its useless and laughable, but it will make lots of mainstream media headlines notheless.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

It is so annoying hearing how Hamas broke the cease fire.
Both are as guilty as the other, Israel blocked aid into Gazza.
one of the terms of the cease fire was to leave it open.

so both are guilty, although some of those earlier rockets where fired by fatah and not Hamas.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I got a kick out of the fact that Condi was late so decided to abstain from the vote. Nothing like saying it all without saying a thing.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
The US abstained because they only agreed with some of it. If they not liked any of it, I guarantee you they would have voted NO whether people liked it or not.

Now maybe they can put their heads together and help end this fighting once and for all.

We need solutions not a resolutions that isn't worth the paper it is written on.

top topics

join