It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama already pushing "The Politics of Fear"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

Thanks for the videos. Brzinski's influence cannot be overstated.

for you.

reply to post by southern_Guardian

You can defend Obama till the end. His minions will always have an excuse for him.

I will continue to criticize Obama as long as he is in office. I do not trust him; already he has turned tune on many of his campaign promises.

When it comes to a controversial issue, he claims silence, saying "There is only one president at a time." But when he wants to force feed you, he's all mouth.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Well, this thread seems to be an anti-Obama circle-jerk. But SouthernGaurdian makes a valid point. When the economy was squarely in the crapper both the current administration and McCain were telling people that the economy was 'fundamentally sound'. As late as July. Isn't that the same thing Enron execs were accused of? Misleading investors as to the health of the company when they knew (or should have known) it was, itself, in the crapper?

The situation is what it is. I don't believe Obama is embracing the 'politics of fear' at all. The siutaion IS grave. As Katrina bore down on New Orleans, the people telling everyone a disaster was iminent were not subscribing to 'the politics of fear'. The Bush administration specialized in candy-coating and spinning the truth. If not outright ignoring it. The truth can be ugly as well as scary. It is what it is.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

The track record for Illinois is less than attractive. They had so many problems and so many issues just in the state of Illinois that they are a vary bad rated state as far as political savvy and demeanor.
Chicago: the city that "works?"

Senators: Barack Obama & Dick Durbin
Representative: Jesse Jackson, Jr.
Illinois Governor: Rod Blogojevich (arrested Dec. 9, 2008)
Illinois House leader: Mike Madigan
Illinois Attorney General: Lisa Madigan (daughter of Mike)
Chicago Mayor: Richard M. Daley (son of former Chicago Mayor Richard J. Daley)
The leadership in Illinois : ..... All Democrat. (Surprise)
Thank you for the combat zone in Chicago :
Body count, last six months: 292 killed (murdered) in Chicago (vs. 221 killed in Iraq) (and Chicago has Gun control )
State pension fund - $44 Billion in debt, worst in the country.
Chicago sales tax - 10.25% highest in country. (Look it up).
Chicago school system - rated one of the worst in the country.
Of course, they're all blaming each other. They can't blame Republicans because there aren't any. This is the political culture that Obama comes from in Illinois . And he's going to "fix" Washington politics for us? Good luck and may a "Proper" analogy of this situation help us all!

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
From "HOPE" to "FEAR"...two of the most power emotions. What happened? Is it a natural progression or more manipulative?

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Allred5923

He not only comes from Chicago politics, he helped create that slimy atmosphere:

www.houstonpress.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I will continue to criticize Obama as long as he is in office.

I totally believe that. No matter what, no matter what kind of a president he turns out to be, no matter how many good things he does for this country, I totally believe you will criticize him.

Originally posted by jtma508
Well, this thread seems to be an anti-Obama circle-jerk.

So perfect!

When the economy was squarely in the crapper both the current administration and McCain were telling people that the economy was 'fundamentally sound'.

It seems the Bush administration used the politics of fear (in Iraq, TARP, etc) to get what they wanted (war and money for the wealthy) and then tried to use the politics of appeasement to make themselves look "concerned" over Katrina and the Main Street financial crisis. They've made it so that people don't trust the government any more at ALL, no matter what they say. Not only that, they cried wolf so many times that people don't even know when to actually be concerned. It's like if the government says it, it's a lie. Thank you Mr. Bush.

Well the times, they are a changin' and there's a new kid in town (and other appropriate song titles).

Like you said, we ARE in trouble. It's real. It really is a wolf. When there's a wolf, the right thing to do is cry, "Wolf"!!!

I'm not saying that Obama's plan is the right thing to do. I'm not an economist. And I'm against bailouts and stimulus packages in general, because you can't solve a problem by throwing money at it. But if he makes the additional changes he's putting forth, along with the tax cuts and stimulus checks, it could work to lessen the effects of the coming depression.

Good luck, Mr. President!

[edit on 9-1-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
Zbigniew Brzezinski

Now THAT is one freaky spooky fella!

To the OP - Politics of fear mixed with a dose of 'make excuses ahead of time so I can cover my butt'. Yep.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

That was one heck of a read jsobecky! But well worth it, for those that want to take a little time out of their lives to learn that the clouds have been looming, even by the standards of the people that worked with and knew him personally.
The first story of the journalist that got his a** chewed was a "Introduction" to the completion of the read you provided, but it seems as if the Obama of the past, as far as his demeanor and character changed over time.
There is a lot of information with that post, and I hope others take time to read it in it's entirety as I have. But, there was one quote of a Emil Jones Jr. that really stuck out for me, actually kept it in my thoughts to reiterate it with this post, the quote went as follows:

Several months before Obama announced his U.S. Senate bid, Jones called his old friend Cliff Kelley, a former Chicago alderman who now hosts the city's most popular black call-in radio ­program.
I called Kelley last week and he recollected the private conversation as follows:
"He said, 'Cliff, I'm gonna make me a U.S. Senator.'"
"Oh, you are? Who might that be?"
"Barack Obama."

Which allows me to deduce that the Obama legacy was and is, (AS I had always thought or felt about his running for office.) a "Manchurian Candidate" scenario, even from the first stages of holding his official offices in the Illinois Senate.....

Thanks for sharing, puts more light into my little thought processing area for the facts that need to be watched for as a potential reality for the whole of the US citizens!!

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Allred5923

Not to get off topic but your comments reminded me of a story that I just read yesterday. The Chicago city schools spent $70,000 on cappuccino machines last year. Must have been a barista training program in the vocational department. Sounds like they ended up in the teachers lounge. I always wondered what went on in there.

One Chicago Public Schools manager must have really been jonesing for a cup of coffee when officials say she spent nearly $70,000 of the district's money to buy 30 cappuccino/espresso machines for a high school program. But five months after the machines were purchased, 22 remained unopened, one disappeared and three were being used at two schools—though not in the culinary arts program for which they were intended, the district's inspector general said Tuesday. Officials in a department dealing with work-school programs allegedly separated the purchases to make them appear they came from 21 different schools and were under $10,000. By doing so, the purchases did not have to be competitively bid or win school board approval, said Jim Sullivan, the district's inspector general.

www.chicagotribune.com...

It is a shame that such a great town to visit has so many problems.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
The Chicago city schools spent $70,000 on cappuccino machines last year.

OMG! This is the kind of 'change' that is flying in on golden wings from Chicago, eh? Waste taxpayer $$ on cappuccino machines and then rape NASA for $$ claiming it is better needed in the education area.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Amazing article! Nice find, I have saved it for my "Obama Archives" I'm sure I will use some information in it later.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

"Did you watch teh video that zysins5 has provided on Pg. 1 ?" Apparently not, if you would had watched it, you would of heard some very unnerving scenarios of teh worlds crisis and global conflicts due to the trilateral commissions influences.
I am not sure of the date the original video was taken, but I do know it was before the war in Gaza and before the uprising in Russia and the Ukraine.
"Seen the 'Headlines' lately?"

PRAGUE, Jan 9 (Reuters) - Dual crises over the Gaza conflict and gas supplies to Europe are proving to be a trial by fire for the European Union presidency of the Czech Republic, the first ex-Warsaw Pact country to be put in charge of EU business.

Largely eclipsed by bigger European players in the diplomacy aimed at securing a ceasefire in Gaza, Prague is fighting to reassert its authority with a push to end a nine-day standoff between Russia and Ukraine that has left hundreds of thousands of Europeans without gas and forced factory shut-downs.

uk.reuters.com...

And with the undying bombardments of Israel, which I am watching live right now on Press TV, there is a lot to be worried about, and Obama's,as affiliation with these trilateral individuals and the PTB's, his inexperience with the positions of global controversy and global politics, I as a US citizen am "DAMN" scared of teh future of this democracy and the diplomacy's that may follow, the guy in the video with his analogies of the scenario "If Barrack Hussein Obama gets voted into office" take of the whole situation. Obama was even elected and the guy in the video predicted what would take place if he did, "Low and Behold" here we are witnessing exactly what he said to watch for before it even has taken place!!

Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, India, Libya, Pakistan have all joined the Palestinian cause, and the resurgence of Israel is a great indication of what the guy on the video was talking about. He had stated "They (PTB) would turn the countries against countries, because they were fodder for the global effort of allowing for an all out , true to form WWIII."

"please, watch that video, both parts and compare them to today's current events."

This all, with teh gentlemans predictions from the video are very important as he has been right thus far in his assumptions of "When and If" if Barrack gets the US presidency.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
...They've made it so that people don't trust the government any more at ALL, no matter what they say.

If not carried to an extreme, that might actually be a good thing.

Unfortunately, it really isn't true in the sense that Obama's election demonstrates the apparently widely held belief that government--> with the right superhero

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
If not carried to an extreme, that might actually be a good thing.

Skepticism is a good thing. Trust, hope and positivity balanced with skepticism and caution is where I like to hang out. Open-minded, willing to believe and wary at the same time. As you intimated, the extremes can be a dangerous area. Shutting one's mind at the "skeptical" extreme is as bad as shutting it at the "loyalty" extreme. Blind allegiance and blind skepticism are the same thing. A closed mind.

I feel pretty confident that you will be singing a different tune soon enough.

I'm flattered that the tune I'm singing matters to you, but I'm not sure what you think I'm singing...

That we are in an actual economic crisis?
That Obama's plan might not be the right thing to do?
That I'm against bailouts in general?
That I think Bush used fear tactics?
That Obama MIGHT be successful is lessening the affects?

What tune am I singing, Loam?

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

What tune am I singing, Loam?

To carry the analogy further, perhaps, Hail to the Chief?

Notwithstanding your question, I think my point was clear enough.

Was it not you who posted?

Well the times, they are a changin' and there's a new kid in town (and other appropriate song titles).

Thought so.

That's the tune I think you will change.

[edit on 9-1-2009 by loam]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   

To carry the analogy further, perhaps, Hail to the Chief?

Okay, I'll cop to that.
I'm excited to see what the future holds and I support Obama. It's the first time in forever that I've even considered "singing that tune".

Notwithstanding your question, I think my point was clear enough.

Okay. I'm glad you think so.

Was it not you who posted:

Yes. And I also posted these and others criticizing Obama when I felt it was warranted:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Balance is key.

I may change my tune. I'm puzzled that so many are "looking forward" to it. (You're not the only one who's giddy at the thought) But I'm keeping an open mind. And for now, I don't think Obama is crying wolf here or using the politics of fear. The danger is real, unlike "Saddam has WMD". Obama may not be doing the right thing, but he's doing something to offset the danger.

[edit on 9-1-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I may change my tune. I'm puzzled that so many are "looking forward" to it. (You're not the only one who's giddy at the thought)

How did you arrive at the conclusion that I'm "giddy" with the expectation that you will change your tune?

The danger is real, unlike "Saddam has WMD". Obama may not be doing the right thing, but he's doing something to offset the danger.

Therein lies the crux of my general disagreement.

The remedy is potentially far worse than the problem it is designed to fix.

Moreover, the statements he makes, which disclose his underlying assumptions about the role of government, are frightening to say the least and just plain wrongheaded. :shk:

Supporting the notion that "doing something to offset the danger" even if it's not the right thing to do, makes no sense to me. I'm not sure how it does for you.

The fact of his "good" intentions is meaningless, imo.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

The remedy is potentially far worse than the problem it is designed to fix.

I agree. Potentially. It's also potentially the right thing to do. We won't know until we do it, though. No matter which course we take (or don't take), we'll never really know what would have happened if we had responded differently. Because we can't look at the alternate timeline.

Supporting the notion that "doing something to offset the danger" even if it's not the right thing, makes no sense to me. I'm not sure how it does for you.

That's not what I said. I support doing something to offset the danger and it MAY not be the right thing to do. But it's just as potentially dangerous to do nothing. I'd hate to be in Obama's chair right now making this decision. Everyone on the Hill has a big decision to make and our economy hangs in the balance. No pressure.

It's easy for us to sit here at our keyboards and criticize this stimulus package. But I wouldn't want to be voting on it and I certainly wouldn't trust many people to know the right thing to do.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

With respect to the complexity of the issues...on that at least we agree.

But just to be clear, I'm not really criticizing the possibility that the wrong solutions *might* be applied to our current circumstances. Rather, I am concerned that a world view that believes "government" is the principle mechanism that will save us, makes more certain that the wrong solutions WILL be applied.

Notwithstanding some posts within this thread, I think the principle point that can be made is that not much is likely to change.

Whether it is the NeoCons and their solutions for security, or the Liberals and their solutions for financial stability, each appear to play by the same play-book.

I think more than anything else, that is very depressing. We obviously have learned very little in the past several years.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Here's an interesting news story about the roots of the financial crisis, and who were the "power players".

and a good article.

Setting the Record Straight: The Three Most Egregious Claims In The New York Times Article On The Housing Crisis

Funny how perception of historical events gets skewed, especially when political punditry becomes a major factor in the decision process.

Now if any of the Obama-maniacs have any solid evidence rather than false accusations as is usually spewed here, then please post it.

Thank you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join