It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Powerful Solar Storm Could Shut Down U.S. for Months

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Have to agree with you... You would think if it was a "large" storm capable of some kind of disruption, it would last for hours.

That would certainly be enough time for the earth to rotate and affect other regions of the world as well.

Unless, they ALREADY know a specific date/time/duration of an event precisely calculated now.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I agree, even IF the United States of Americano is facing the sun at that point, they may get the brunt of it, the poles will suffer the most and everyone else is just on the bottom shelf of the oven, if the poles shift dramatically then i dont think there is anywhere on earth you can hide, the crew aboard the ISS are gonna be the lucky ones, despite receiving a huge jolt of nasty radiation.

And just so I dont look silly, even if the poles don't shift, your still gonna be affected wherever you are, so its either deep underground, or high up on a mountain for ultimate safety. I live on the North West coast of England, i'm kinda hoping if there is a Tsunami, Ireland and the Isle of Man will sheild me, but the top of Scaw Fell is still my best hope.

Edited to say that it may not last hours, at least the flare anyway, if there is a flare, that stuff moves at near light speed, its the after effects that concern me.

[edit on 10/1/09 by woogleuk]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic
reply to post by Infinity Eagle

Sometimes all the little pieces fit too conveniently.

You mean like how amazing life even exists?

" I see Patterns! "

[edit on 10-1-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

woogle....uh hum, things that might affect our planet, if it comes from the Sun, and if they come at 'light speed'...well, not just me, but every person who understands te distances involved would agree that we live about 8 light-minutes away from our Sun.

Please remember that light travels at about 186,000 mps, or about 300,000 kps.

The average distance from the Earth to the Sun is about 96,000,000 miiles (I will let anyone who cares calculate the km) but suffice, to say, it is about 8 minutes, even at the speed of light, for anything we see on the Sun to travel to our planet.

I mean, our Sun could blow up (it won't, so rest assured) but IF it did, we would not feel it until eight minutes afterward...((or later, since the mass of the exploding star would reach us well after the light reached us...))

Back to the topic....IF the Sun wishes to have terrible Solar Flares, it is extremely unlikely that they will ONLY affect the USA! If people cannot understand the Earth-Sun connection, then I feel sorry for those people, because they do not understand basic astronomy, nor science!

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

woogle....uh hum, things that might affect our planet, if it comes from the Sun, and if they come at 'light speed'...well, not just me, but every person who understands te distances involved would agree that we live about 8 light-minutes away from our Sun.

Please remember that light travels at about 186,000 mps, or about 300,000 kps.

The average distance from the Earth to the Sun is about 96,000,000 miiles (I will let anyone who cares calculate the km) but suffice, to say, it is about 8 minutes, even at the speed of light, for anything we see on the Sun to travel to our planet.

I mean, our Sun could blow up (it won't, so rest assured) but IF it did, we would not feel it until eight minutes afterward...((or later, since the mass of the exploding star would reach us well after the light reached us...))

Back to the topic....IF the Sun wishes to have terrible Solar Flares, it is extremely unlikely that they will ONLY affect the USA! If people cannot understand the Earth-Sun connection, then I feel sorry for those people, because they do not understand basic astronomy, nor science!

who is saying it will only affect the US??? it was just saying what could happen to the US if it happened. we all know that it would happen everywhere, probably a lot more damage to the side of the planet that is directly facing the sun at the time of this.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Swatman

Yes, Swatman....THAT was my point!

A possible Solar Flare event is not going to be conveniently just a few hours in occurence, nor will it it be timed to co-incide with a particualr hemisphere....THAT is my point!!!!

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
oommg we are all going to dieeee!!!!!!!!!!!

whatever ..

people need to stop day dreaming we are in deep # here..

I mean OHH wow the sun is going to fart on us.. SO WHAT? i mean wha are you going to do ask the sun not to fart??

lol so radical but yet so DUMB

stop asking stupid questions please jeezz....

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by theresult

...result....thanks ((I think)) for your answer.

Let's examine the facts...current observations seem to indicate an 11-Year cycle in the star that we call the 'Sun'....

Let's see....we call this the Year 2009, meaning, that the planet we live on as at LEAST orbited around this star we call the 'Sun' for AT LEAST the last 2009 orbits....yet, the '11-year' cycle hasn't seemed to kill us, just yet.....

Am I reaching anyone's simple clarity of reasoning yet???

Logic is your friend!!!!! Embrace it!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   

dude i understand what you are getting at here...

But we are human and this is earth... one day i wish we would all get along and be merry happy little buddas.. but we aint..

the sun could fart tbh and we are way up the creek without a padle.. i wish we would just stop and say ok... what are we going to do as a race of fellow minded beings? and stop shafting each other..

thats my gripe with every "omg we are going to die" thread

um i sound more gloomy than you

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Now lookie here, weedwhacker, stop whacking the weed for 2 minutes, for some reason thats beyond me, you are what i would like to call a friend on here. So i dont want you to take offence if i blast you down, yes this is the 2009'th(ish) year since the birth of some guy who IF the internet existed would have had a ball with conspiracy theories. The earth has been around longer than my girlfriends knickers, there is no (scientific) evidence to support that over the last dodecdahedron amount of years that a solar fart caused any real problems on earth, its only technology that gets these problems, and thats limited to the last 100 years or so. But having said that, our star could have a serious case of acid indigestion and burp on us at any time, 2012 is looking more more plausable every day.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   

woogle, lo and you may be correct....if so, I want to move to Australia, since thwt seems to be the best Continent to live on, should the worst happen.

What are the problems with changing jurisdictions, and Nationalities....Hurry, because the CHANGE is coming, it is coming very, very quickly!!!!!

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   

oops...woogle....I was blind to your name, and your previos posts, when I assumed you were from 'Down Under'....

My mistake, and great apolgies.....because, IF I were to escape soe sort of imagined 'Solar Flare' I would escape nearest the poles...certainly NOT to the UK...(lovely as it is...)

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   

I hope your as drunk as i am, lots of red wine and this southern comfort substitute that half the price, yes, its changing fast but, are our theories and superstitions making our minds work overtime? in the millions of years that the earth has existed why is this happening in our lifetime? are we just being paranoid, or is it really happening? in ten minutes raise a glass and say sod it!

[edit on 10/1/09 by woogleuk]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I work in a call center.... and I know people will start calling in (somehow) to report that their internet is not working.
Despite whether or not they would actually have power, or a functioning computer...

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MrVertigo

Michio makes anyone interviewing him look dumb. The man knows what he is talking about.

Thanks for posting this, I missed it when it aired.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

I think the chicken wire was called Faraday's Cage. Not to sure though :p Sticking to the topic, I've heard so many "2012" stories, I don't know what to believe anymore haha. So i just sit back and let life go on.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
The idea about sending a letter to Al Gore has merit. It would be interesting to see what he says. Anyone interested? (I wouldn't write it myself.)

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Here's an article straight from NASA's website.

The Sun Loses its Spots

Maybe it's the Calm Before the Storm
******SKIP******
While sidewalks crackle in the summer heat, NASA scientists are keeping a close eye on the sun. It is almost spotless, a sign that the Sun may have reached solar minimum. Scientists are now watching for the first spot of the new solar cycle to appear.

The 11 year long solar cycle is marked by two extremes, solar minimum and solar maximum. Solar minimum is the period of least solar activity in the solar cycle of the sun. During this time sunspot and solar flare activity diminishes, and often does not occur for days at a time.

When spots begin to appear on the sun once again, scientists know that the sun is heading into a new season of extreme solar activity. At the cycle's peak, solar maximum, the sun is continually peppered with spots, solar flares erupt, and the sun hurls billion-ton clouds of electrified gas into space.

Solar maximum is often compared to the hurricane season here on Earth. Violent solar events, like flares and coronal mass ejections, are the hurricanes of space weather. These solar storms are capable of wreaking havoc with satellites, power grids, and radio communication, including the Global Positioning System.

NOAA's Space Environment Center, Boulder CO, forecasts that the next solar cycle should begin in March 2008 and should peak in late 2011 or mid 2012.

I think it would be worth noting that this cycle has been going on every 11 years, so the Earth and all our "toys" have been through this before.

I guess it just all depends on if the Earths magnetic field can still repulse the suns "solar storm".

[edit on 1/10/2009 by Keyhole]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

You are exactly right about the 11 years and the fact we have experienced it before.

The part that makes you pause and think is the "experts" being concerned about it.

After all, they are the ones that measure and keep record of all the factors that keep these things from happening.. such as the magnetic field. Yet our field has holes now...

[edit on 10-1-2009 by TwiTcHomatic]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

Well, except for the part that we didn't have as widespread use of computers, cell phones, we certainly didn't have MP3 players or Ipods back then. The use of modern technology has dramatically exploded this past decade and it continues to do so. We really do have yet then to see how this effects if at all really.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join