It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Powerful Solar Storm Could Shut Down U.S. for Months

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

www.foxnews.com

Damage to power grids and other communications systems could be catastrophic, the scientists conclude, with effects leading to a potential loss of governmental control of the situation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Oh and the large scare tactics really begin.

First we had the reports on the New Madrid Fault, now massive solar storms that could disrupt everything.

Boy our new Prez is really gonna have his hands full, good thing he is "of the people"

I especially enjoy the part near the end when they say the cycle will peak around 2012.

www.foxnews.com

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Ungh... it's Fox.
I'll believe it when it's coming from a non-tabloid source.

Until then, it's just more garbage based on "predictions" to get ratings.

You wouldn't check Jerry Springer for dating advice, so why check Fox for news?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

On the surface I have to agree with you...

But the study was performed by the National Academy of Sciences, which is a little bit more reputable.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I am actually waiting for the 11 year cycle to get back to the top, I am an Amateur Radio Operator, and conditions have sucked for a while now! LOL...

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic

Oh and the large scare tactics really begin.

Boy our new Prez is really gonna have his hands full, good thing he is "of the people"

I especially enjoy the part near the end when they say the cycle will peak around 2012.

www.foxnews.com

Every piece of news that contains potentially harmful scenarios is "scare tactics" ?

What planet are you from? I just want to make sure I never visit.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
"Loss of governmental control", hey bring on the solar storm. I think it would be good if the government loss control for a while. After all the country couldn't get any worst then it already is without the government breathing down our backs.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Well, here's some advice.

Buy a generator, keep it ready, get ahold of an old style tube radio. Those are supposed to be almost immune to EMPs, all you need is the generator to power it and you're good to for communications.
And please quit it with the Fox News insults, they really don't lend much to anyone's reputation other than being dismissive.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
This is a reality we have lived with all our lives (at least that we can theorize). The solar 'pangs' of it's life-span is nothing to fear, since we can neither control it, nor for the moment, contend with it.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
more faux news scare tactics, unbelievable as usual.

[edit on 8-1-2009 by bigspud]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

It IS possible but NOT catastrophic. Solar storms can indeed effect a lot of things BUT it is rare that it does so in large scale ways.

Calm down, it's the "chicken little" syndrome from a kook more than likely.

I HATE doomsayers......

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I hate fox news but what they are saying is a well known fact. this style EMP could happen at anytime with short notice because of things like a solar flare.

Also I forget what they are called but you take a small wire like chicken wire and make a box around a backup piece of electronics and it will save it from emp.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
From NASA "A Giant Breach in Earth's Magnetic Field"
science.nasa.gov...
Discover
blogs.discovermagazine.com...
And to keep up to date on space weather
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   

YESSSSsssss!!!!

What are the chances of a massive solar storm hitting only the US... I would of thought that it would at least of knocked out the electronics for a quarter of the planet.. depending on the size of the burst of course.

It would be pretty cool if it only knocked out the US and not Canada/Mexico. Wipe ye off the digital map and all that

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Infinity Eagle

Yeah, you start adding the Earth's magnetic shielding into the conversation and it points to a roller coaster ride for the future.

Sometimes all the little pieces fit too conveniently.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Just to let everyone know this happens every some odd years and we havent been knocked off line yet. This is because there is a kill switch in all the major power plants. There is also a team there 24 - 7 to throw it if needed. ( only happened once as far as I know, was due to a fire) If they shut the systems down it will take up to a week or so each to get them back online, but it will save "trillions" of dollars that would be spent rebuilding the whole system.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

Sorry but the emp from something like that doesnt respect borders nor hemispheres , You might be looking for power also along with us Canadians. But would be cool if I got my family out of country before it happened lol.

[edit on 1/8/2009 by BlackKnight7365]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
it seems to me that this information might be what biden was eluding to months ago. If so, why did they wait so long before letting us know? I am so tired of being treated like a freakin mushroom. Being in thte computer repair business, I will either be really busy, or not doing anyting at all.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Here's a video of renowned physicist Michio Kaku talking about the same thing in relation to the huge hole in the Earths magnetic field that they recently discovered:

And yes I know that it's Fox and the host guy is an absolute tool, but Michio Kaku is about as credible as it gets when it comes to science.

More info on the hole in the magnetic field here:www.abovetopsecret.com...

On a personal note I must say that it's almost unreal to see doom & gloom predictions coming from the mainstream media all of a sudden. And I have a feeling that it's not going to be the last time either...

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join