It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake in Costa Rica

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Earthquake in Costa Rica

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica (AP) — A strong earthquake has shaken the Costa Rican capital of San Jose, sending frightened residents running into streets.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
really whats going on?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Been talking to a friend in San jose. She said it was bad and really shook her up. Also she lost a wall in her house so probably some damage to the local area. I checked the location is near Poas Volcano.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
visz.rsoe.hu...

this is a good global alert map to check it out regarding event description, risk analysis, etc.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Wow looks like there is alot, ALOT, of seismic activity picking up worldwide. Especially in places that don't usually see such big tremors. Costa Rica, Yellowstone, India, and the Major activity around Indonesia. Something is causing this rise.

If you have been keeping tabs here in Fragile Earth forum there has been TONS of great information found by ATSer's. I find the link between major EQ's causing EQ's 1000's of miles away really telling. We all need to be prepared in case one hits near us. Water, medicine, food, shelter. You just never know.

I've been over watching the Yellowstone thread for 2 weeks and it just seems that seismic activity is increasing dramatically worldwide. There is a neat plugin for Firefox that gives latest updates for EQ's worldwide Here Kinda neat makes your screen shake proportional to the Magnitude.

Also there is the USGS website that is a good source for info too.
Glad everyone is keeping a good eye on all this activity. Good job.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I live in Costa Rica and was scary. You can still feel the aftershocks. Never seen such a big quake since I moved here.

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Paulite

OH MAN, do you know if anyone was injured? was there lots of damage?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

MAP 6.1 2009/01/08 19:21:40 10.213 -84.248 35.0 COSTA RICA

Initial magnitude is 6.1.

[edit on 8-1-2009 by GAOTU789]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Paulite

Blessings that you are well Paulite. Keep us updated and bring some pictures to the site asap ok?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Paulite

Stay safe and update us from local sources if it is possible please.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
As of now no deaths has been reported but some people injured in the area of the epicenter but nothing major. The magnitued was 6.2 as per the local newspaper.

Good thing about Costa Rica is that the country is prepared for earthquakes since the country is set over a series of fault lines, so there are not many tall buildings and and if you build one has to be earthquake proof otherwise the government won't aprove your project.

I'll keep you posted guys.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by illychica34

I'll probably get reamed for this, but I feel as we come into the galactic alignment that this is what is causing changes in the Earth's magnetic field, the weather, recent earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. Unfortunatley I have no proof, it is just my theory. OK guys, let it rip!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
sickofitall2012, no reason to rip you. many people have their theories on what might be causing all of this.

6.2 is a pretty good quake. Hope everybody comes out alright.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

yeah i was kinda thinking maybe thats what it is!

[edit on 8-1-2009 by illychica34]

[edit on 8-1-2009 by illychica34]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Paulite

new topics

top topics

join