It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Issues Dire Warning on Economy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

news.aol.com

FAIRFAX, Va. (Jan. 8) - President-elect Barack Obama warned of dire and long-lasting consequences if Congress doesn't pump unprecedented dollars into the national economy, making an urgent pitch Thursday for his mammoth spending proposal in his first speech since the election.
"In short, a bad situation could become dramatically worse" if Washington doesn't go far enough to address the spreading crisis, the Democrat said as fresh economic reports showed an outlook growing increasingly grim.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
OK folks we are now just days away from Obama taking office and it sounds as if he will hit the ground running.

If I am hearing Obama correctly he is stating that the only solution to our economic problems is to speend our way out.

He goes so far as to say that the US economic problems may not be solvable if we do not act fast by throwing a LOT of money at the problem.

news.aol.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I hate to say it sense it's been said so many times here and by Ron Paul on top of it but that approach has already been tried in the past and ends up killing the countries economical vale and just makes things even worse.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
The only way for any help to the economic problem is to return industrial jobs and manufacturing back into the country and not just paper clips and toothpick manufacturing.

Make all our products 100 percent made in America, not 10 percent American made and 90 percent forign made.

And if there is a economic stimulus package, it needs to be more than a piddly 600 bucks..a good 5k per person may help, 10k would do even better.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darthorious
I hate to say it sense it's been said so many times here and by Ron Paul on top of it but that approach has already been tried in the past and ends up killing the countries economical vale and just makes things even worse.

What's to kill? It's practically already dead.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
The only way for any help to the economic problem is to return industrial jobs and manufacturing back into the country and not just paper clips and toothpick manufacturing.

Make all our products 100 percent made in America, not 10 percent American made and 90 percent forign made.

And if there is a economic stimulus package, it needs to be more than a piddly 600 bucks..a good 5k per person may help, 10k would do even better.

Cheers!!!!

Eggzackly!!!! That $600 is already taken by a tax bill on my house. I can't believe they bailed out all those execs to the tune of billions of dollars and here we get what? How about give everyone 10K to apply towards outstanding debt, education or home repairs?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I watched his speech. He said and I quote, "...Government is the answer..." when he said that I said oh.... and then said we're.....

So buckle up guys and gals because the next how ever many years is going to be a very bumpy ride. I hate to say it but there was this joke running around before he got elected that said change is going to be all that's left in the treasury, sadly that joke might have been the truth.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

I agree we must stop sending our dollars out of country.

Any ideas on how to motivate Americans to buy American.

I am of the opinion that much of this problem has been caused thru the passing of NAFTA and we are now starting to feel the effects.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikki

Eggzackly!!!! That $600 is already taken by a tax bill on my house. I can't believe they bailed out all those execs to the tune of billions of dollars and here we get what? How about give everyone 10K to apply towards outstanding debt, education or home repairs?

Ahhhh!! 10k for college would be awesome. But would only cover not even a tenth of my entire college education that I'm facing. Plus the state that I live in has a huge property tax. Plus what about the almost 200k that the value of my house has lost in the past 5 years?

Gah.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by deepred
reply to post by RFBurns

I agree we must stop sending our dollars out of country.

Any ideas on how to motivate Americans to buy American.

I am of the opinion that much of this problem has been caused thru the passing of NAFTA and we are now starting to feel the effects.

Back in the 60's and 70's you could buy a real true American made, brand spanking new vehicle for 3 grand, didnt matter what make it was. And every single part in that vehicle was manufactured in America.

Television sets, same thing, all made 100 percent American made parts.

Appliances, same thing, all made 100 percent American made parts.

Just take a stroll down any wallyworld isle and read the labels. Made where?

Another part of the problem was for about 20 years, folks wanted cheap. So the markets became flooded with cheap products and they became even cheaper and drove out the American made products. Most think that when they spend a grand or two at wallyworld, those dollars stay in their communities and in the country. They dont! The big corporate gets a huge chunk, then the rest goes to the sweat labor plants and overseas manufacturers flooding our country with even more cheap products.

The trade ratio is so severely out of balance its not funny. We need to get away from this "cheap is better" attitude and once that is overcome, we may see something actually move forward with our economy in a realistic way.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

While staying in his $20,000,- / night suite....
Kind of hypocritical if you speak about such things.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
There is an already existing thread on this topic here.

Please contribute any firther questions and/or comments to the above linked thread.

Thank you.

Thread Closed.

top topics

join