It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Roar Detected From Faraway Space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Mystery Roar Detected From Faraway Space

www.foxnews.com

LONG BEACH, Calif. — Space is typically thought of as a very quiet place. But one team of astronomers has found a strange cosmic noise that booms six times louder than expected.

The roar is from the distant cosmos. Nobody knows what causes it.

Of course, sound waves can't travel in a vacuum (which is what most of space is), or at least they can't very efficiently. But radio waves can.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I found this pretty interesting, thought some of you might as well. Wonder what's causing such a roar! I know when they are looking for "ET" signals they are usually looking for a proverbial needle in a haystack and this seems to be a very loud/bright beacon. So what is it?

My thoughts are it's one heck of a big star! Another civilization looking for us, a big black hole or something? Maybe it's the langoliers coming to eat us all up?

Just kidding, seriously any thoughts?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I think a couple resonable possibilities are as follows:

1) The "noise" is coming from our own galaxy. This may have something to do with our current positioning in the galaxy, which is more or less at the equator. Perhaps at this point there is some kind of a reverberation or inlet to our solar system of this commotion taking place in our galaxy's magnetics or from the distant universe.

2) Another possible scenario I think may be that our universe is not nearly as uniform as they think. As stated in the article, "The only way this noise could be made from the stars and galaxies is if they were packed in like sardines." This may suggest that the space in the universe, what they think may be dark matter or a vacuum, is something else entirely, perhaps in a way an illusion or something. (by illusion i just mean something other than what it appears to be) allowing for what we see now as the noise from all the galaxies being packed like sardines to actually be the case, in a weird sense that would alter space sciences and physics completely.

Just some random conclusions i came to earlier after reading this article.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Nice find!
Wish they would give a sound bite of the noise. Will be following this. S&F.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
A thread on this subject was already started yesterday www.abovetopsecret.com...

MOD please close this thread. Thanks

[edit on 8-1-2009 by Muundoggie]

new topics

top topics

join